Channel Crossing - NorfolkDriver
Hi,

Am looking at going away in Dec and need to cross the channel.

I have had a look at the P and O site, they want £105 for a return.

Does anyone know of any discount codes or the like to get this price down a bit please?

Would prefer to stay with P and O if poss.

Dates for the trip are:

Outbound, approx 1100 19 Dec. Return approx 1700 27 Dec.

Thanks in advance.

ND
Channel Crossing - bell boy
dont go
its full to the brim of the great unwashed at this time of year and at least 40 deep at the bar and absolutely nowhere to sit
go to bognor
Channel Crossing - Bromptonaut
Are you "wedded" to P&O for some reason?

I looked at Norfolkline for your dates/times and prices were similar though possibly £5-10 less.

IME that is typical, the fares are closely related to demand and variation between routes and operators etc will only save 10-15%.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/11/2009 at 22:59

Channel Crossing - PhilW
ND,
Sounds like a good price for those dates and times - doubt you will find better. Must say I would be prepared to pay a bit more to go on the Chunnel to save time and avoid the chance of stormy seas at that time of year!
Wonder whether you are trying to save a small amount on the crossing compared to total cost of holiday - if it is a holiday.
P
Thanks for the replies.

No, not "wedded" to P and O, I just dont like SeaFrance. I hadnt thought of my namesake though :)

After 21 years in the RN I dont mind the odd stormy sea! and I prefer to go above the water than below as it breaks the journey up.

I would go to Bognor instead but do they have enough snow there? I'm not going to sit on a wet and windy Bognor beach for a week when I could be making snow angels and burying my kids in the snow.

Channel Crossing - beware - pmh3
Historically, over the last 6 years, Norfolk Lines have been very relaxed about the use of return tickets on dates other than the booked date. (I have used tickets that are more than 3 months 'adrift', with no extra charges). This is because if you computer book there is no option for 'open' returns.

P&O however this year have been charging up to £70 for rescheduled tickets - even when telephoned ahead. I know several people who have paid this sort of charge, there appears to be no ticket desk flexibility to 'do a deal'. i have been done - and got the Tshirt!

Having booked 2 returns this year on P&O to give them a try - (I prefer the timetabling, food options and Calais is more convenient) I will be reverting to Norfolk Line for future business.
Channel Crossing - Armitage Shanks {p}
Tunnel will be £146 return for those dates/times. Quick easy check-in, 35 minute journey. I wouldn't look at anything else at this time of year, even at that price!
Channel Crossing - Pugugly
Can you still buy your tickets for the tunnel with Tesco Vouchers ?
Channel Crossing - pda
Yes you can PU, and very good value it is too!

Pat
Channel Crossing - CGNorwich
Hi fellow Norfolk man.

I always used to use P and O but my last trip in October used Norfolk line to Dunkirk. Much better service. Ferries a lot newer than the rather shabby P & O boats. Also a lot quicker get away in France as NL are the only operator there.

Journey is 20 mins longer than the Dover Calais route.

Like you I find the ferry crossing a break after the drive down from Norwich and not overly enamoured with the tunnel experience and to me not worth the extra cost
Channel Crossing - R75
Another vote here for NorfolkLine, just had a week in France last week and we went via NorfolkLine for the 2nd time this year.

Much better the P&O and SF imho, they were also cheaper then the others as well. The extra 20 minutes crossing really does not make much difference and the kids can have a good run around in the play area (if they are young enough for that) whilst you can have a fairly decent feed in the restaurant at not too much of an inflated price.
Channel Crossing - andyp
Yet another vote for Norfolkline. I used them a couple of weeks ago for the first time for a trip to Ypres, the ferries themselves were great, the food was good and very well priced, plus every member of their staff who i dealt with was friendly, polite and efficient. We turned up early for our returned crossing and was transferred onto the earlier crossing without any fuss whatever !
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've now had a look at the alternatives and was somewhat surprised.

NorfolkLine: £155

Tunnel: £146

P and O: £105.

SeaFrance: £127

Price for NorfolkLine includes £45 extra for passengers as there are 7 of us travelling.

If I could now ask that the A11, M11, M25 and M20 be kept clear on the 19th Dec please to assist in our getting there :)