Impact Screwdriver. - Gregory II
I would like to buy an impact type screwdriver for sockets and general screws as a DIY item. Would the machine mart ones/ screw fix ones be of a good quality. I would like to use it perhaps on a monthly basis so I don't really need something amazing. Any recommendations?
Gregory

Edited by Pugugly on 02/11/2009 at 18:52

00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Armitage Shanks {p}
Something like this?

tinyurl.com/ylm6mfd

00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Gregory II
Would an impact wrench take a socket for removing say bolts or can take torx scews?

Which one of these is better:

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht498-...e

Any suggestions for a nice impact scredriver/ socket driver that uses the old style hammer technique?

Cheers
Greg
00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Chris M
Gregory, are you into fixing old cars? Presumably not as you mention torx.

I can't recall using an impact driver for at least 20 years. Where are you planning to use it on a monthly basis?
00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Gregory II
I was thinking of using it on brakes, rusted nuts on my motorbike. Sometimes I work on friends vehicles. DIY use also: i.e. outside I can't open an electricity cage which has a philips screw. It is nice just to blast it with a hammer and for it to undo nuts in general!

00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Simon
I haven't used an Impact Driver either for years. I have always considered them to be a 'last resort' tool.
00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Chris M
Agree it's a tool of last resort. I would first try a good soaking, followed by a properly fitting socket with a T Bar and a whack with a hammer. Perhaps even a little heat.

Followed by a bit of swearing and a plaster for my grazed knuckles...............
00 1.0 IMPACT SCREWDRIVER - Dynamic Dave
The last time I used an impact driver was on Japanese motorbikes some years ago when the screw heads were made from cheese. Any attempt at turning them with a screwdriver just resulted in the cross head rounding off and the screw driver blade slipping. An impact driver was the only way to get them out as you forced the screwdriver into the cross head with the impact as well as turning it at the same time. Replaced the screws upon re-assembly and never had any problems getting them out again with a normal screwdriver.