Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - VR6
We were away for 2 weeks, and called ATS mobile to fit two new tyres to our 58 plate Avensis while we were away. We left the car and keys with my parents.

On returning, my dad said that no one turned up to fit the tyres, but inspecting the car, there are two brand new Michellins on the front with the locking wheel nuts and an invoice on the front seat. The invoice states ?Customer not present, no keys, mileage not recorded?

Now I?m confused ? how did the guy from ATS get into the car to get the wheel nuts? Did I:

A) Leave the car unlocked for 2 weeks? (I am pretty sure the car locks itself if left unlocked), or
B) Man from ATS has a way of unlocking the car without the key?
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - Pugugly
More than likely have a variety of alloy wheel lock keys.
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - theterranaut
VR6- why would he need to get into the vehicle interior to fit new tyres?
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - Mapmaker
But the invoice was INSIDE the car theterranaut.

Are you sure your father wasn't teasing you?
The locking wheel nuts were in the glove box when we left. When we returned, the locking wheel nuts and an invoice were on the drivers seat.

EDIT: I'm sure my dad is not teasing me, he's not the sort to do that!

Edited by VR6 on 02/11/2009 at 10:12

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - bell boy
if the avensis doesn't have deadlock which im sure it doesn't then i could be in your car 50 seconds tops
I used to move customers cars round all the time a few years ago for a larf with my tools and a few strategically placed trolley jacks
how i guffawed sometimes........
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - OldSock
You could always ask them...
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - gmac
>>We left the car and keys with my parents.

Possible Mum answered the door while Dad was having a fly Siesta and didn't think it was worth mentioning ?

Edited by gmac on 02/11/2009 at 10:44

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - jbif
A) Leave the car unlocked for 2 weeks? (I am pretty sure the car locks itself if left unlocked), or >>

I think that is the likely answer, as you do not seem 100% sure about the car's locking mechanism. Another possibility is that a parent has had a "Rattle" type senior moment.
B) Man from ATS has a way of unlocking the car without the key? >>

No, they would not dare to do so without permission.

One question you left unanswered: Was the car locked or unlocked when you got back?

As someone said, ask ATS (and don't forget to then tell us what they say).

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>The invoice states ‘Customer not present, no keys, mileage not recorded’

The answer, I think, is on the invoice.

If the keys were available, they surely would have switched on the ignition to check the mileage. It seems the car was unlocked, they called while your parents weren't in/available & changed the tyres. They could have had some 'spare' security nut releasers or got them from the (unlocked) car one presumes.
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - Cliff Pope
A curious case Watson, but some salient questions remain unanswered:

1) If your father is having a joke, or a senior moment, how did he persuade the ATS man to go along with it by writing "no keys" on the invoice?
Or is the suggestion that your father tampered with the invoice and wrote that himself?

2) Why were the locking wheel nuts in the glove box and not on the wheels?

3) How did ATS know to look in the glove box to find them?

4) Having found them, why did they leave them on the seat?
Well, I guess I must have left the car unlocked. I am suprised it wasn't trashed/stolen. We returned on Haloween, and the car was surrounded by drunken youths who had been kicked out of a house party by police that had got out of control across the road.

To answer some questions:

1. When I returned, I clicked the 'open' button on the car key, and didn't notice if the car was infact already unlocked.

2. It's definatly not my dad having a joke or senior moment.

I will check the handbook when I get home to see if the car does infact auto-lock after a set period of time or not.

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - andyp
I think you will find that the only time it would auto-lock is if you unlock it but dont then open a door within say 30 seconds, then it will re-lock itself.
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - Pugugly
Greatest respect to your parents who, at their age, managed to get the Police out to their party !

Edited by Pugugly on 02/11/2009 at 13:30

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - jbif
.. managed to get the Police out to their party ! .. >>

and then to make them go across the road to get out of control!!
[ " ... police that had got out of control across the road. ... " ]

I think you will find that the only time it would auto-lock is if you unlock it but dont then open a door within say 30 seconds, then it will re-lock itself. >>

Ditto.

Edited by jbif on 02/11/2009 at 13:33

Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - GroovyMucker
I think you will find that the only time it would auto-lock is if you
unlock it but dont then open a door within say 30 seconds then it will
re-lock itself.

That's the way mine works, anyway (07).
Can tyre fitters unlock cars without a key? - Simon
I think that there can only be two real explanations. Either you left the car unlocked in the first place or whoever had the keys just hit the remote button to unlock the car when the ATS man showed up. In the case of the latter the ATS man would have never had to handle the keys, hence why it would state 'no keys' on the paperwork.