Thank God for HPI - Dogbreath
On Sunday I viewed a Corolla 1.6 R Reg going for £3,150. Private Sale. 66,000 miles. MOT'd in June. Log book all in order. One previous owner. It looked superb inside and out - perfect condition new exhaust. The only catch was no service history - apparently the car was repossessed by a bank hence absence of service history.

I was going to go back tonight to buy it but the HPI search came back with "mileage discrepancy contact HPI". I called them and they gave me the number for the national mileage register. Their records showed...4 escalating entries ending in 126,000 miles based on a DVLA entry of May 2002.

Forget that one I think!
Thank God for HPI - Obsolete
I recently sold a Micra to a local Nissan dealer. Although the clock showed 60K it had done 100K, the original clock having been replaced at 40K due to a fault. No dishonesty there, and yet I wonder if the dealer was upfront when selling it on?
Thank God for HPI - volvoman
Don't want to sound patronising but didn't the owner have any of the old MOT certs ?

It's a pity that people selling cars like that can't be 'reported' in some way.
Thank God for HPI - PB
Is this is in Autotrader, and you feel like a good citizen, you could keep a copy of the ad, and in a couple of weeks search on any car, but with his phone number as a keyword. If he crops up again, call trading standards.
PB
Thank God for HPI - Vin {P}
Why not just call Trading Standards today while it's still on sale? Might stop someone a little less diligent getting ripped off, and might stop the seller doing it again.
Thank God for HPI - Armitage Shanks{P}
It may be called "Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception" or something of that sort. Worth a call to Trading Standards I would have thought, particularly if he is selling more than one car a year!
Thank God for HPI - Steve G
This guy might be a trader as some have suggested but it would'nt surprise me if it a 'genuine' private sale.
In my experience its private sellers who get upto the most devious tricks while most traders will be quite honest about what they are selling.
You say there are four entries on the NMR -strange because you also say its one previous owner. I wonder where NMR got 4 mileage readings from ??
Its time the DVLA printed the previous mileage readings on the V5 , This would stop most clocking.