09 1.6 DSG Gearbox - Old Monkey
Hello
For medical reasons I need to have an Auto Gearbox. Is the DSG any good ie. reliable and does it reverse somthly. I have an Toyota Collrola at the momment which has a very good box so I dont want to make a mistake.
Any persons comments would be appricated please.
Old Monkey
09 1.6 DSG Gearbox - gordonbennet
OM, this would have been better asked on the main discussion forum...maybe one of the mods would shift it over?

Unusual question in that you particularly want smooth reversing.

I do a lot of reversing of cars in my job, up and over truck decks, now i don't suppose you'll be going to quite those lengths but i imagine you have some demanding manouevre's to be asking this question.

As a rule i find automated manuals dreadful without exception (though they may be OK on the road driving normally), DSG or similar better but not good, and proper torque converter auto's with their inherent creep to be just about perfect, precise and contollable.

In your shoes i'd devise my own little manouevering tests on any test drives you undertake.

Try some tight moves uphill and put a wheel against a normal kerb and try a controlled short move over said kerb imagining another car only a foot away.
It's not something you'll be doing normally but will give an idea of the cars contollability.
A few hill starts and a bit of heavy traffic will soon show up any shortcomings too.

IIRC the Corolla has a very pleasant proper auto box.

I can't comment on reliability of the DSG box.
09 1.6 DSG Gearbox - Gazmog
I have a seat with dsg gear box

But there is good and bad news.

I found the box fantastic, it's smooth and fast, I was really pleased with it.

Then....

It broke, jumped in to netural, I've been told its shot inside and they can not repair it and it's going to cost me £3500

So would I have another one, I really did like it, and I would like to have one, but not if it's going to cost 3500. So if you replace your car within warranty , then yes