Boot Light, a Quick Fix - redviper
Ive had my Vectra for about 4 months, and its great, however the boot light never worked i just put it down to a blown bulb.

Was leaving the supermarket today and as i pass Hallfords to go home i thought I would call in and see how much the bulbs where and possibly fix it

so in the car park of the supermarket to get the old bulb out i removed the plastic lens/bulb holder from the back of the boot and it came out completely unattached to any cabling.

i was a little puzzled so poking my fingers in the hole that the holder sits in, i managed to pull out the cable and connector and connect up the bulb, and it works absolutely fine, i even tested that it goes out when the boot lid is shut by removing the parcel shelf and closing it and it does

The car isn't throwing up any error messages ( bulb failure) and everything works as it should

I think its been removed by the last owner (for reasons i cant think of) or its not been fitted when manufactured (i think unlikely)

What do other Br's think, has anything similar happened to you?
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - bell boy
i do this with all my cars for one of two reasons
1 / so i can leave the boot open all day for customers to see the cavernous space
2 /little johhny had a sick poo in the boot and it needed a deep clean and the boot left open to the elementaries to dry

simples............
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - idle_chatterer
i do this with all my cars for one of two reasons

A lot of cars are 'intelligent' enough to switch off interior lights (including boot) when door / boot is left open for an extended period, my Audi A4 B5 in 1999 was the first car I noticed this on and I think most cars I've had since have had this (undocumented) functionality.... lights come back on if you press the unlock button on the remote or open another door I think.
thats all very well but its very humbling when a car doesnt start due to a flat battery and johhny needs a wee
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - idle_chatterer
thats all very well but its very humbling when a car doesnt start due to
a flat battery and johhny needs a wee

True, but perhaps those canny manufacturers are thinking of wee Johnnie's needs ? Or perhaps motorists' stupidity....

Edited by idle_chatterer on 23/10/2009 at 00:21

selling a washing machine on wheels gives you a very small window of opportunity to show its best attributes,its like wining and dining a beautiful woman,order dandelion and burdock with a fine fish course and you've blown it
just like putting a booster pack on the car of the week
its not right
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - bathtub tom
But does BB re-connect it before letting it leave the lot in the hands of its proud new owner?

I bet a multi-tasking woman would. ;>)
thats more than likely why mine was disconnected as BB says - to sit in the Vauxhall dealer with the boot up
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - Dynamic Dave
thats more than likely why mine was disconnected as BB says - to sit in the Vauxhall dealer with the boot up

As mentioned earlier in this thread, some cars are 'intelligent' enough to switch off interior lights, of which the Vectra-C is one of them.

If the interior light, glovebox light, or boot light are left on, then the canbus network will turn them off after approx 5 to 10 mins.
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - NARU
The wiring can often be in place for all sorts of things, just sitting there waiting to be used.

I wanted a 12v socket in the boot of my mondeo estate. Pulled the blanking plate off and the wires were there - just needed to add a socket.
Thanks DD, this Canbus system is going up and up im my estimation all the time

I can think then for the life of me why it has been disconnected,- the car hasnt been accident damaged at anytime - apart from a slight scuff on the rear - a bit odd really, however im pleased its working now :-)

Anyone else had a simialer "find"?
Boot Light, a Quick Fix - Old Navy
Anyone else had a simialer "find"?

>>
My Focus Ghia has interior footwell lights, I believe other models may have the wiring and bulb holders and only require the bulbs to make them active.
EDIT:

"scuff on the rear bumper" i meant to say. only noticible if you really look for it