Who really "needs" 4x4? - Old Navy
Is there anyone who cant do their job, get to their house, do their shopping, or get around the UK without 4x4?
Who really "needs" 4x4? - bell boy
a 4x4 parts seller ;-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Optimist
A generation of small blonde women wearing dark glasses.

Who really "needs" 4x4? - captain chaos
Anyone who has recently bought a smallholding ;-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - NARU
Well I bought mine because we often go caravannning to small 'CL' caravan sites (those with 5 or less pitches) on grass. Wet grass can be a real trial to pull a caravan off - as I found a couple of times.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Pugugly
Shooting and towing
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Alby Back
I've recently been given one. Of course I don't need 4x4, but I quite like it as a car though. Wouldn't rush to spend my own money on one but it's OK. Estate cars do most things better in my view. It can be a bit of a pain lifting things in and out of the higher loadbay.

Ambivolent about the higher seating position too, I like the added forward visibility but dislike the feeling of being taller on corners.

My wife likes it though and she does favour sunglasses so maybe that explains it.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - bell boy
lampers by me swear by them
Who really "needs" 4x4? - injection doc
I like it because weight ratio to towing a large caravan is benificial.
I also find the upright seating position a lot more comfortable on long run.
I also like the view when driving.
The auto box is a lot stronger than a normal saloon car.
I also live in the country & when it snows its brilliant as I'm not stranded due to loads of traffic.
The kids travel so much better in the back.
there is so much more room in the back & a huge boot.
I also don't have to bend down when removing shopping from the rear.
Your right , my wife loves it.
Due to the fact that they are thirsty you tend to drive a little more reservedly which reduces the risk of speeding.
The best of all is supermarket car parks because most people seem to avoid parking next to them!
Even better according to the goverment they add to global warming so hopefully the summers should improve in years to come! ( but doesn't even an electric car add to global warming as the energy has to come from a power station)? which probably put out more tonnes of waste in 1 week than my 4x4's will in a life time
When i had jags everyone seem to take a pleasure in seeing how close they could park to it!
Sorry bell boy had to get that off my chest
Who really "needs" 4x4? - barneybear
IMO I would like to see the large 4x4's restricted to those in very rural settings or with specific occupations requiring off road travel: farmers, VETs, and the like. Folk who live in wind-swept North York Moors can justify it, but not townies. I heard someone trying to justfy their SUV 4x4 'cos they had a steep drive! In Luton!!
Certainly they will be the first to say "Why can't my kids have the oil for their cars?" when it all disppears in 40 years time.
We have limited time to make sure we don't waste what we have, but attitudes of "I don't give a stuff" will make it impossible - hence legislate...
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Manatee
>>IMO

To which you are entitled...

>>I would like to see the large 4x4's restricted to those in very rural settings or with specific occupations requiring off road travel: farmers,

Here we go again. Do you go on holiday by aeroplane? Should those who do be prevented from doing so by legislation?

Are you prepared to justify eating food that comes from more than 50 miles away? Do those who do so "not give a stuff" either?

Why did we allow LCD and plasma TVs to replace more efficient CRTs?

Should anybody be allowed to commute by car more than 50 miles to work every day, in any car? How do they justify that?

I'd want a 4x4 if I lived in Luton, preferably a Hummer.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Robin Reliant
I just don't see the problem with 4x4s. They have no more a footprint than a large car or an MPV, and as for fuel consumption would you like to see Ferraris and other performance cars banned too? I don't have a 4x4 and probably never will, but if people want to drive them so what.

Who really "needs" 4x4? - gordonbennet
It's been some time since the people's court called for screening of needs before being able to spend the bit of lolly dick turpin allows one to keep.

''do you have the correct paper's and the signed order from the commissar comrade?''
Who really "needs" 4x4? - movilogo
People buy most things because they want them, not because they need them!
Calm down folks, as far as I am concerned anyone can drive whatever they like. I just wondered if anyone used their 4x4 in anger, we have caravans. Any horse box users, anglers, power line engineers, forestry workers, boat slip users, mountain rescue teams, etc.
so barney bear, why am I gonna use all the fuel in the world up when I get 42mpg on a run & 33 local. & only cover approx 9000 miles a year, for the rest I use citreon C1 at 72mpg! probably use less fuel than you.
The reason I add the comment about global warming is the anti 4x4 brigade who have there Plasma's etc at home just as manatee states.
I know a person who turns all their electric off a night as they insist they are going green but drive a Rangerover HSE V8 sport .
Whilst its a free country i will drive what i wish.
Alternative fuels are around the corner but the goverment cannot justify the tax they would loose if we switched to alternative fuels so the sale of normal fuel will be encouraged for sometime yet.

Perhaps you can recommend a saloon car weighing around 2000kg that has a strong autobox without a raked seat ( which i require for a crushed vertebre) that can achieve 40 mpg & has room for 5 adults all around or close to 6ft
Who really "needs" 4x4? - b308
Well I bought mine because we often go caravannning to small 'CL' caravan sites

Did 4 years of caravanning and never used anything but CLs... never needed a 4x4 even when it was wet and snowy, was just careful where I set up, thats all...
Who really "needs" 4x4? - doctorchris
I drive a Panda 1.3 Diesel 4x4 Cross because I bought it at a 25% discount, it's fun, economical, nobody else has one within miles of where I live.
Oh, and if it snows it makes the repmobiles on fat, summer tyres look very stupid.
Barneybare drives a renault espace 2.2dci 2006 so what right does he have saying we shouldn't be allowed to drive 4x4's when his MPG is very similar to mine & the size in car parks is similar! & my 4x4 will last a lot longer than a renault espace ever will so may be mine is more friendly!.An espace is normally scrap at 8 years old so hence it has to be replaced with yet another car! more world recorces!
I had a panda 4x4 & it was the best 4x4 i have ever had in the snow. it was mind blowing & excellent fun
Who really "needs" 4x4? - a900ss
The doctors in our surgery have 4x4's (Tuaregs and Discos). I actually find it quite reassuring as I live in rural Gloucestershire.

I have NO need for a 4x4 (althought I did consider one recently to scratch an itch whilst I was without a compnay car) as all my driving is non-emergency on tarmac but for our doctors, in all weathers, in a rural location, I say do it and thank you.

Edited by a900ss on 21/10/2009 at 22:35

Who really "needs" 4x4? - doctorchris
The drive, in snow, that I most enjoyed in my life was in my dad's rear wheel drive Triumph 2500TC, back in the late 1970s. I had to drive from Blackburn to Leeds to fetch my brother home.
The car had normal tyres, though in those days even performance motors had narrow tyres.
I won't pretend I was a skilled driver but just a bit of care with steering and throttle saw me through.
Of course, in those days, there were few other blighters on the road getting stuck and holding you up.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - 1400ted
Drive what you want......it's still one freedom available to us !
I drive a 4x4 purely because of the caravan. It wouldn't bother me if it had only 2 wd but that wasn't an option.
I like to sit a little higher and I like a bit more weight to help braking. I can get a quarter of a ton of bricks in the back and 3 metre lengths of timber, etc. A Transit or similar would have done for me but you get frowned on at caravan sites.
Global warming ? bring it on and stuff all the ' knit your own yoghurt ' brigade !

Ted
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Waino
Tall 4x4s with privacy glass are considered very useful if you don't want people to see you using your mobile phone.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - andyfr
Is there anyone who cant do their job get to their house do their shopping
or get around the UK without 4x4?

Yes, us in winter. We live in a secluded glen in the north highlands of Scotland, one mile down a dead end single track road.

Edited by andyfr on 21/10/2009 at 23:10

Who really "needs" 4x4? - maz64
We live in a secluded glen in the north highlands of
Scotland one mile down a dead end single track road.

Want to swap? Reading is very nice this time of year :-)
So thats one up to now. And I dont want to swap Scotland for Reading. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 21/10/2009 at 23:28

Who really "needs" 4x4? - Big Bad Dave
Several thousand where I live where it drops to the minus thirties and buries the phone boxes in snow.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Lygonos
AWD is rather nice when you lay down 260bhp in 2nd to overtake a mimser.

Handy for the 6 or 7 days a year when there is snow/slush on the roads.

Other than that it is doing very little exceot adding about 10% to my fuel bills!
Who really "needs" 4x4? - deepwith
Mine is a 'soft-roader' which is usually used in 2x2 mode. It automatically clunks into 4x4 when needed, times I can recall: low tide launching dinghies and RIBs; steep hills in Dorset, especially when there is a good coating of muck or ice; in the odd field; towing large trailer; when visiting family in the depths of Scotland; transporting large and often very pongy dogs from the foreshore; not forgetting pulling several newly licenced youths out of ditches and one chap who should have known better. One I am most grateful for was when there was something very slippery on a fast roundabout - I presume some sort of oil - when the car started to slip until that reassuring clunk and control resumed.
It is fun to drive, very, very comfortable and fits us all in - including two over 6', one nearly 6' plus two others and dogs.
On the other hand it could, of course, be because I am blonde and have been known to don sunglasses when blinded by low sun ;-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - dieseldogg
Iffen some of the bimbos who drive 4*4's ( and hey some of them are even female)
Would perhaps , just perhaps, please,
either
(i) learn the width of their vehicle, and drive accordingly
or
(ii) accept that it is a 4*4 and that one could actually pull in to the verge
Cos
I regularly meet them on wee country roads
Generally straddling the crown of the road
well,
hey their expensive 4*4 is CLEAN
And
did I not know that they are BIGGER than me
So generally I stop with my wheel in the gutter
and somehow they get past
scheesh
Who really "needs" 4x4? - stunorthants26
My sister has a Grand Vitara 1600. She got it because in Northampton, the back streets where she lives are in a terrible state and they ruined the tyres on her MGF, there are huge potholes that used to ground her car ( and no the council arent the slightest bit interested ), plus she has a habit of kerbing cars trying to get into parking spaces, so the steel wheels with nice high profile tyres suit her 'style'. She only does about 3000 miles a year ( none this year, its sitting on my driveway while shes in OZ ).
It also happenes that the Vitara is hugely reliable, even at 9 years old her car is faultless and as at times money is short, she wanted something that wouldnt need lots of remedial work.
She still loves the car and has no intention of parting with it as it is a near perfect city car, albeit not an economical one ( 30 mpg ).
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Alanovich
I have no poblem with the amount of fuel they use.

I have no problem with normal cars fitted with 4WD.

However Jeeps, SUVs, Chels*a Tractors, whatever you want to call them are a problem by dint of their size, shape, weight and construction presenting a greater danger to other vehicles and pedestrians in the event of an accident. Yes, I know the same can be said of vans and lorries, but these are economic necessities. A Jeep type thingy in towns and suburbs is purely a "look at me, I bet you think I've got horses and loads of cash to burn" statement. People carriers, however, are designed to be road going vehicles, not agricultural pulling tools, so are shaped and constructed in a much more suitable way to minimise damage in the event of an accident.

I have sympathy with barneybear's argument, but for different reasons.
My sisters Suzuki GV1600 weighs 1250 kg, is 1.6m wide and 3.9m long. A Focus diesel weighs 1400 kg, is 4.3m long and 2m wide. So, if 4x4's are heavy and large, where does that leave a family hatch? A very poor arguement since the range of 4x4s is huge and not all are Landcruisers.
And the front end of a Grand Vitara is as pedestrian impact-friendly as a Focus is it? Which would you rather be hit by if crossing the road? I'd rather bounce up on the Focus bonnet than get dragged under the Vitara's engine bay, thanks.
>>And the front end of a Grand Vitara is as pedestrian impact-friendly as a Focus is it? <<

Unlikely, however many MPVs have very bluff fronts which would be just as painful AND have you considered what damage something very low to the ground would do aswell - Im not sure id like an Elise to take my legs off at the knee either.

While we are at it, should we ban buses because surely it would hurt more than a Vitara - of course, people have the right to use buses so we have them, even though they are more dangerous than cars and so by the same token, people can drive whatever car they like too and shouldnt have to justify it to anyone for the same reason that users of public transport shouldnt have to justify using a 'dangerous to pedestrian' bus.
I'm not asking you to justify them, I'm outlining my opinions about them.

Buses are like vans and lorries, necessities, as I described before. Glammed up semi-agricultural deathtraps are nothing of the sort.

Name me an MPV with a bluff front and a bonnet which sits at 90 degrees to the windscreen. Sharalhambralaxy? Sedona? Espace? Grand Picasso? Zafira? S-Max?

I believe the choice made by urban dwellers to buy an off road vehicle, is ill informed, ill conceived, selfish, marketing driven and vain. And yes, I've told that to the face of my best friend who once bought a Shogun whilst living in a flat on Twickenham High Street. It didn't take him long to realise his mistake. Likewise the friend who bought a Grand Cherokee whilst living in a narrow terraced street in Windsor. The reality of the ownership experience in both cases soon woke them up.

The things are a blasted menace and in heavy traffic restrict the views of the roads and pavements of other drivers.
>>Buses are like vans and lorries, necessities, as I described before. Glammed up semi-agricultural deathtraps are nothing of the sort.<<

Buses are not, people choose to use them which creates a demand. Im quite sure if you get run over by a bus, your first intinct is not to say, well thats ok, people need buses but just aswell it wasnt a Shogun as id be really annoyed about that.

MPVs have a bigger footprint than many 4x4s and are nearly as tall - I know - I clean the darned things! You can no more see around one of these than you can a 4x4.
The most current 4x4s are being designed with pedestrian accidents in mind - clearly you are ten years out of date as it is a bit silly to describe a Merc ML as agricultural - it wasnt even designed to go off-road much!
As ever, mindless generalisations.
As ever mindless generalisations.

Personal insults. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. If it makes you feel better so be it.

In my experience it's far easier to see around or through an MPV than a 4x4. But you're obviously the expert.

Clearly I haven't been on the road in 10 years, as you say.

I think the problem these vehicles pose is far more acute where I live in a very over crowded urban environment. No doubt in rural Northamptonshire the issue doesn't present itself overly much to other drivers. But I promise you, spend some time in the Thames Valley/West London and I think you'll probably see what I mean. We evidently have different experiences and, therefore, differing viewpoints. I resent being called mindless and I don't think an apology is too much to ask. If anything is mindless it's the "I'll do as I like and forget everyone else" attitude.

Buses are a necessity, as, wait for it, this might be a tough one, not everyone is entitled to hold a driving licence.

Any suggestions as to a bluff fronted, square bonneted MPV then?
I resent being called mindless and I don't think an apology is too much to ask.<<

It is wholly mindless to suggest that all 4x4s are semi agricultural since that clearly is not the case ( Please explain how a Lexus RX450h is in any way agricultural?? ) and as for your bluff fronted MPV - check bottom of the thread - your 'safe' Reanault Scenic seems to have a bluffer front end than a Volvo XC60 if your a pedestrian and your head hits one.
It is wholly mindless to suggest that all 4x4s are semi agricultural since that clearly
is not the case ( Please explain how a Lexus RX450h is in any way
agricultural?? )

It has much more ground clearance than a road vehicle needs. Overdesigned, over sized, ludicrous vehicle to drive around towns. Agricultural vehicles need that sort of ground clearance, so it is clearly an agriculturally based design.

I'm still waiting for you to acknowledge that your accusation of mindlessness is not only groundless but downright rude.

I have noticed a couple of XC60s over the weekend, posing around the roads of Reading. I grant you, they appear to have a well raked bonnet and seem to be showing signs of more thought to them being used as road going vehicles. Still, if you're small enough you'll be dragged under its engine rather than rolled on to the bonnet. I don't think NCAP dummies test the outcome of accidents according to the size of a pedestrian.

And I'd still rather be t-boned by a Focus than an XC60. Don't think anyone who wants to live would argue with that. stu? What say you? If you're "minded" to reply politely.
It has much more ground clearance than a road vehicle needs. Overdesigned, over sized, ludicrous vehicle to drive around towns. <<

We should all be driving Sinclair C5s by that logic. Gets the job done for minimal environmental impact, and crashing them one would be fun rather than fatal.

There wouldn't be speed bumps in the first place if they were on the roads.
>> It has much more ground clearance than a road vehicle needs. Overdesigned over sized
ludicrous vehicle to drive around towns. <<
We should all be driving Sinclair C5s by that logic.

Thats carrying the logic too far, L, for a start they only take one person and there are plenty of suitable small cars for urban use, as the op said a large 4x4 is a ludicrous vehicle for town use.
as the op said a large 4x4 is a ludicrous vehicle for town use <<

As is anything with more than 50bhp/ton, but most of us are happy to romp around in such.
( Please explain how a Lexus RX450h is in any way agricultural?? )>>

If not decended from an agricultural vehicle (Land Rover) then military, (Willys Jeep). The SUV was originaly a marketing ploy in the USA to get around the corporate average fuel consumption laws which applied to cars but not SUVs / pickups.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Kiwi Gary
Slightly off-topic, but seeing that the dreaded global warming has raised its horrible head above, I assume that British drivers are aware of the posited carbon emission control system reportedly held in reserve by He-Who-Is-Regularly-Saving-The-World. Each of you would be issued with an annual ration of carbon credits, presumably on your forthcoming identity cards. As you did something that caused a carbon emission, you would swipe or similar your card and have credits deducted.

{ Sorry, Sir, but you are getting close to using up your carbon allocation, and we must impound your Range Rover and rent you this 600 cc Daihatsu Mira until your next allocation. }

Whether this is just kite-flying or real I don't know, but the report that I read insisted that the technology was already available, but the political risk was too high " at this stage".
Who really "needs" 4x4? - TheOilBurner
SWMBOs boss moved from the "city" to the "country" and claimed that their 200 yard driveway (or track as they would call it) was too rough for regular cars, so they bought themselves a Range Rover and a Discovery (new, of course). Funny, I thought, because it probably would have been cheaper to tarmac the driveway, but still...

Strangely, when they hosted a house-warming party, everybody who arrived in so-called normal cars managed to traverse the driveway with requiring the services of a tractor to pull them out. Incredible eh!

I don't mind people choosing to buy a 4x4 because they want one (whatever floats yer boat!), but it irks slightly when they feel they have to justify it with nonsense like that...

If I was pulling a big caravan or whatever, I probably would have a huge 4x4 too, but I'm not, so I don't. Somehow I still manage to get where I'm going come rain, shine or even snow.

Buy a 4x4 if you want/need one, but please don't bore the rest of us with how *essential* it is... ;)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - grumpyscot
I use a 4x4 (an old CRV) because my back pain and arthritis makes it difficult to get in and out of low cars. With the CRV, I can simple slide onto the seat from a standing position.

It's also handy in the winter trying to get out of our (pretty steep) street and to get to our local town, since the back roads don't usually get cleared until day 2 or 3 of the snowfall.
Good call, that's a good use for a 4x4, probably the CRV is quite good like that. Some of the bigger 4x4s would require too much climbing in and out.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 22/10/2009 at 11:36

Who really "needs" 4x4? - daveweim
My girlfriend, who lives on a farm and works for the emergency services uses one for winter...........
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Sofa Spud
Not many people really need 4x4s, but that's true with other sorts of overspecification.

For instance, who needs a car with an engine that's more than about 120 bhp or has more than 4 cylinders?

I'm not against 4x4s but the arguments used against them apply equally to high-performance cars and to large luxury cars.

Given the popularity of SUVs, I'm surprised that some aren't available as 2-wheel drive versions. I know that would dilute the brand image a bit, and it would lead to a few people ending up in difficulties when they try to go off-roading in their 4x2s in blissful ignorance of their vehicle's limitations. But the 4x4 systems on SUVs add weight and in most cases increase transmission drag, even in vehicles that have selectable 2 wheel drive.

Strangely, a lot of urban 4x4 drivers are environmentally aware on other matters, so if, say, a 4x2 version of the Discovery was cleverly marketed at suburban school-run buyers, with appropriate badging, owners could believe themselves to be 'going green'!

Land Rover did build several hundred 2-wheel drive versions of the Series 1 and Series 2 in the late 1950s and early 1960s for the RAF to use on airfields and public highways and these are quite sought after by collectors now.
And not forgetting those sneaky 4x4s that don't look like 4x4s - e.g. most Jaguar X Types!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 22/10/2009 at 12:17

Given the popularity of SUVs I'm surprised that some aren't available as 2-wheel drive versions.

Some are, the Volvo XC60 is available with 2WD only, and I'm sure it's not the only one.
Well actually actually
I would consider the Yeti as a new car contender
2WD of course
better seat height for me & the Missis
and a squared off back end too, for the wheelchair.
PS
Did you know that you can tow 3500kg behind a Galaxy, without any difficulty & without burning the clutch out
Or so i have heard
hi dieseldogg you heard wrong about a Galaxy towing 3500KG! A they eat clutches, 2nd they don't pull a heavy van very well at all, struggle even with 1350 KG ( the old 1.9tdi's
the mk2's have a kerb weight of 1736KG & 1.9tdi engine & the mk3 kerb weight of 2415KG with 2.3TDCI lump.
I have towed with a galaxy & its embarrassingly slow.
The auto boxes in the mk1 & 2's were very unreliable & often failed & the replacement boxes from ford were modified.
When i first inquired about the 2.3d there was no auto box option.
Most auto versions of vehicles have reduced towing weights or reduced engine power out puts in the auto versions whereas there are usually no reductions on 4x4's although the Nissan X trail has reduced engine out put in Auto version which tells me auto box is not strong enough.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Westpig
I haven't got one yet, but it's only a matter of time.

When i retire i'll move to a rural area and will be out in the sticks. I'll have a 4x4 for similar reasons to what injection doc has stated...i.e. high driving position, ideal for coiuntry lanes; ability to take Devon lane foliage before the farmers trim them, without ruining the paintwork or you won't care; drive over the odd fallen debris from trees when the winter winds howl in; drive through deep puddles that form in the lanes, when the ditches get blocked; put the dogs in the back & hose out afterwards; robust bumper to go with a tow hitch; etc

...and i couldn't give two hoots what other people think about that....or the fact that something else could do the same, but not as well.
Erm
Injection Doc
see i didnt really "hear" about towing 3500kg
as mentioned elsewhere
I,m a farmers son
Clutches are NOT torque convertors
I have towed loads with the Galaxy 1998 TDI 1,9 lump, chipped
Currently on 207,000miles
on the orig clutch, and plently of bite/life left in it yet
plus the majority of my driving is N I small town urban
Yes I appreciate the manufacturers plate states gross train mass of 4000kg
less the the permitted 2400kg for the Galaxy
=1600kg permitted for a trailer
trust me they will tow 3500kg, admittedly not done it very often.
a 2 tonne trailer is just nice though
squidges down a bit at the back though
& Yes one can cook an automatic trans towing
But its fabulous for pulling away from a standstill
cheers
M

Edited by dieseldogg on 22/10/2009 at 16:12

ah well there's a very big difference to towing 3.5 tonnes a few miles & me towing in the Alps both in Switzerland & France & the Pyrenees & being able to maintain substantial speed on Auto routes so as not to inconvenience other traffic. I hate getting stuck behind a caravan crawling along by an underpowered vehicle.
Auto I agree is fab for towing & wouldn't have it any other way .
A garage I used to own was a clutch center & believe me Galaxy s were a regular for clutches normally around 30-35k miles.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Robin Reliant
I'd love a 4x4.

Not because I need one or even want one, but just to annoy the hell out of the green meanies.
Just for a laugh, I should add that the Kia Sould scored LESS on the NCAP Pedestrian than the Kia Sorento. Even better, the Volvo XC60 scores HIGHER than a VW Polo, Renault Grand Scenic, Citroen C3 or an Audi A4...so Alanovich - explain again why 4x4's are more dangerous to pedestrians than normal cars as you apparently know better than NCAP.

I really cant wait to hear you explain why NCAP are wrong.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - bintang
Manufacturers are not interested in needs so much as wants. Many suburban mums on school runs, for example, seem to want them, thus creating a market.

One virtue of 4WD is ability to correct a skid by engaging another set of wheels. This was a virtue of the old Willys Jeep - you simply had to let your hand drop on the 4WD lever - but couldn't be done on Landrovers at that time.

Big 4x4s have their design genesis in agricultural vehicles like the Land Rover. They are all trying to ape the size and shape of these vehicles and are, therfore, rooted in an agricultural design unsuited to the roads.

The Kia Soul is not an MPV, and I don't particularly approve of its shape as it apes that of 4x4s from the front.

The Volvo XC60 is ONE example. Well done. Don't be disingenuous. Well you know that the majority of 4x4s on our roads today are vehicles built from designs meant for off-roading. When all the rest match the supposed excellence of this one vehicle, I may be persuaded on the pedestrian safety score, but I will still maintian that they present an unnecessary obstacle to other drivers' vision and a greater threat to other road users in accidents. Not only that, their different driving characteristics are often unappreciated by their drivers, making them more liekly to be involved in collision in the first place. I believe I have seen evidence to this effect but I've got to go and battle all the 4x4s in my child's school car park now so can't look it up.

And, I'll ask you nicely. Stop calling me mindless. Please. This is a discussion and your personal digs are unwarranted.

No more from me on this, unless you keep digging me in which case I'll be back in the morning.
Design genisis is great for the history books, but the whole point of design is that it moves on and improves things.

The Volvo XC60 is a BIG 4x4, its not a shortcut but it represents the fact that while we have a current trend of people buying these large cars, manufacturers have responded to concerns over pedestrian safety and plugged the gap - the point is that your simplistic suggestion that 4x4s are more dangerous to pedestrians by nature of being a 4x4 is simply incorrect - some are.

I think it is mindless to make generalisations that are very easily proven incorrect - you have made it clear that you just dont like 4x4s and will apply blanket statements about them regardless of the reality - it shaky ground and your choice to stand on it. If you dont want scrutiny of what your saying, Id suggest the Green Party who have made similar generalisations about 4x4s.

Im not a fan of 4x4s, I am indifferent to them ( I dont tow anything nor I go offroad ) and prefer MPVs which I think are far more practical for their size, but I try to take a balanced view on all vehicles and why people choose to own them. Except BMW/Audi drivers of course :-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - DP
As someone who was recently treated to a passenger ride in a heavily modified Mitsubishi Evo 8 FQ-300 (remapped to 380 bhp), with a very skilled headcase behind the wheel, I now view four wheel drive in a whole new light, and think it should become Law. Along with the 380 bhp... ;-)

All I could say for several minutes after getting out of this thing were many many blasphemous remarks which I won't repeat here. Never have I experienced traction and handling like that. The laws of physics are to this thing what EU Directives are to the French government. Irrelevant. Sneer-worthy. Non applicable! ;-)

The acceleration and handling of this car are perfectly capable of making one throw up. Incredible!

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 22/10/2009 at 18:00

Who really "needs" 4x4? - nick
As someone who was recently treated to a passenger ride in a heavily modified Mitsubishi
Evo 8 FQ-300 (remapped to 380 bhp) with a very skilled headcase behind the wheel
I now view four wheel drive in a whole new light and think it should
become Law. Along with the 380 bhp... ;-)

Welcome to the fold, but be prepared to be told they're dangerous! You've seen the point of awd on a car rather than a small truck; great fun and with immense reserves of grip and handling at any road speed.
OP: 'Who really "needs" 4x4?'

I think this means 4 wheel drive rather than the vehicles per se.

Euro NCAP was much slated by manufacturers when it was first introduced ("these standards are impossbile to match" etc) but they have improved car vs car survival, and more recently more emphasis has been put on car vs pedestrian - car makers always need a hefty stick to encourage improvements that aren't flashy/bling. I bet they spend much more getting sat-nav to work, than designing head-friendly bonnets!

Regarding Landrovers,etc they are generally much worse when hitting kids (head strikes bonnet edge), but significantly better when hitting adults (torso folds over the bonnet - less head instant deceleration).

Unless of course you fit 'bull' bars which indiscriminately mangle pedestrians - might as well shove a snow plough on the front.
You got me beat there Injection Doc
The only trailer towing I done on the Continent was a Camplet trailer tent, good for 80mph
Loaded to the gunnels , bicycles on top Plus a big roof box on the Galaxy
120 degrees centi engine oil temps( or maybe even 125 )
Ps
When towing locally I Never impede those behind, pulling in as appropriate.
After giving adequate hand signals of course
I would still respectfully suggest that premature clutch failure is caused by "riding" or abusing the clutch.
I see it regularly here at work, they have stopped answering back when I passed comment since they know the provanance of the Galaxy.
a clutch is either "in" or "out" with the absolute minimum modulation between these two states.
trust me

Edited by dieseldogg on 22/10/2009 at 18:28

Dieseldogg your a man after my own heart, i couldn't agree more about a clutch in or out only, especially on a diesel. I have never even worn a clutch out myself but did spend over 30 years fitting them.
I always make sure my outfit can crusie at 80 + mph then I'm comfortable including up all those long inclines. I have to say disapointed now the towing limit has been reduced this year.

In the 70's I used to drive Artics & coaches & clutches neede to be treated with respect & sometimes fuller's earth but can't remeber why if I remember correctly.

The interseting thing is that 4x4 drivers are the brunt of objection but as already mentioned in an earlier thread no one seems to knock the large mercs & BMW's & Bentleys Rolls Astons ferraris , Lambo's etc etc most of which are not used to iether their capacity or full time use.

I think a coach or Truck,or a driver on drugs or impaired vision is more dangerous to a pedestrian than a 4X4
OP: 'Who really "needs" 4x4?'
I think this means 4 wheel drive rather than the vehicles per se.

Correct, Im not bothered what its attached to. Not surprised where its gone though. :-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Mapmaker
Come to that, who really needs a car. I'm sure there must be somebody, stuck up a glen in Scotland who might need one occasionally, but surely most of us could cope perfectly well without a motor car. Cars are available to be rented/shared when needed; owning a car is ridiculous.
I used to drive through the highlands of Scotland, (on main roads), frequently for ten years, always in a 2 wheel drive car, the only time I was stopped by the weather was if the road was closed while the snow plough went through. I can understand people who live in remote areas at the end of a single track road "needing" a 4x4 occaisionally.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - grumpyscot
The Honda CRV is really a 4 x 2 - the 4 x4 is electronically controlled and only cuts in if the front wheels start slipping.
The Honda CRV is really a 4 x 2 - the 4 x4 is electronically
controlled and only cuts in if the front wheels start slipping.

Do the rear wheels turn (drive) the 4x4 part of the transmission when it is disconnected, or is it disconnected at the wheel hubs?

Edited by Old Navy on 23/10/2009 at 10:13

Do the rear wheels turn (drive) the 4x4 part of the transmission when it is
disconnected or is it disconnected at the wheel hubs?

Just a clarification, I was recently a passenger in a big pickup truck, (big diesel V8, double rear wheels, permanant 4x4) in the USA. After driving on tarmac we went onto soft sand and the driver hopped out and engaged the front hubs, she informed me that newer models have remote controlled hubs, she disconnected them before returning to tarmac.
>> The Honda CRV

Do the rear wheels turn (drive) the 4x4 part of the transmission when it is
disconnected or is it disconnected at the wheel hubs?

The drive disconnects via a clutch pack in the rear diff. The half shafts turn all the time.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - sandy56
as we live in a supposed democracy we can drive what we want.
As long as we pay commissar Brown's taxes we can spend our money how we like.

NOTE Oil price is now $80 / barrel- and is going higher- standby to empty your wallets.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - FotheringtonThomas
Almost no-one "needs" one, at a guess one person in a thousand. However, many *want* them, and start whinging and whining if they can't have what they want.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - freakybacon
Yeah, you're right- I don't need my suzuki grand vitara- despite the fact its paid for and is costing me nothing other than normal running costs. Great fun with the roof down in the summer, or at Parkwood(Tong) 4x4 or Frickley 4x4 parks though. Good here innit? Copping stick from folk for owning a 4x4, and for cycling to work(see "invisible urban cyclist" thread)
Good here innit? Copping stick from folk for owning a 4x4 and for cycling to work(see
"invisible urban cyclist" thread)

>>
Sometimes you just cant win. :-)
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Cliff Pope
I do.
I'm finding it hard work pulling a horsebox with a car, and am considering buying a classic Series II LandRover.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - L'escargot
I've often wondered which 4 refers to the number of wheels and which 4 refers to the number of driven wheels. And is my front wheel drive Focus a 4x2 or a 2x4?
As with most motoring abbreviations it is nonsense anyway.

SUV ? Sports Utility Vehicle.

About as sporty as a pot of phlegm, but if it helps fat Americans think they are being healthy....

MPV ? Multi-purpose vehicle.

Hmmm.. it carries people and stuff. Same as any other car. But sounds better than "Windowed Van".
Quote:..""I'd love a 4x4. Not because I need one or even want one, but just to annoy the hell out of the green meanies.""

I'm a green meany but that didn't stop me having a Land Rover and I might get another one because I suffer from a recurring condition called landroveritis, in common parlance, an addiction to Land Rovers.

Seriously, the two things that SUV type 4x4s are good for is off-road driving and for heavy duty towing. They are also able to keep going better on snowy roads - but people forget that they're usually no better at stopping on packed snow than an ordinary car.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/10/2009 at 15:48

Who really "needs" 4x4? - old crocks
I've often wondered which 4 refers to the number of wheels and which 4 refers
to the number of driven wheels. And is my front wheel drive Focus a 4x2 or a 2x4?

First number - total number of wheels
Second number - number of driven wheels

So a Focus is a 4x2 as is an old Cortina.
My mountain bike is a 2x1 and Del Boy's Reliant is a 3x2
Who really "needs" 4x4? - defender
I've often wondered which 4 refers to the number of wheels and which 4 refers
to the number of driven wheels. And is my front wheel drive Focus a 4x2
or a 2x4?

first 4 refers to the no of wheels second 4 is no of driven wheels so focus is 4x2
6 wheeler lorry for example could be 6x4 or 6x2 or even 6x6
a general rule of thumb would appear to be
the larger no of the two
is the no of axles
the smaller no
is the no of driven axles
simples
really
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Cliff Pope
a general rule of thumb would appear to be
the larger no of the two
is the no of axles
the smaller no
is the no of driven axles
simples
really

Wheels, not axles.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - think&drive
Yes me - because it would spoil my quality of life - I like 4x4s - apart from that it makes it easyer and safer to get my motorcycle trailer off road to the start of a m/cycle trial.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - maz64
Great story in the Telegraph today - if you own a 4x4 and get some grief from a greenie who owns a dog, you are entitled to call them a hypocrite:

tinyurl.com/yzg4lry

"A medium-sized dog has the same impact as a Toyota Land Cruiser driven 6,000 miles a year, while a cat is equivalent to a Volkswagen Golf."

Edited by Focus {P} on 24/10/2009 at 13:49

Who really "needs" 4x4? - Kiwi Gary
As I have neither SUV nor dog nor cat, does that entitle me to triple carbon credits??

You will note that the authors come from my part of the world, where a large number of working farm dogs are necessary, especially in the high country that is pictured as our great tourist attraction. { Dogs outnumber landcruisers anyway.} The authors are academic architects who are also fanatics about saving the planet. 'nuff said.
>>Great story in the Telegraph today - if you own a 4x4 and get some grief from a greenie who owns a dog, you are entitled to call them a hypocrite:

Marvellous! That is the first new contribution to the 4x4 debates here for about five years! I've never 'got' dogs but I've never tried to tell anybody else they shouldn't have one.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - pyruse
"A medium-sized dog has the same impact as a Toyota Land Cruiser driven 6,000 miles a year, while a cat is equivalent to a Volkswagen Golf."

---------
While our cats certainly have a 0-60 time equivalent to the Golf, they are not nearly as good as carrying stuff around, I find.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - mjm
Our dog is a 4x4 anyway. Most of the cats and dogs I've seen are 4x4s. I've also seen the occasional 3x3.
Those kinds of studies just highlight for me the total twaddle which gets spouted by various anti everything groups. It's why I take all global warming propaganda with a bucketfull of salt
I suggest that very few of us drive the car we need but most of us drive the car we want.

Edited by mjm on 26/10/2009 at 14:09

Who really "needs" 4x4? - Lud
HJ thinks the well-heeled sometimes buy big 4X4s so that they won't be baulked or held up by speed bumps. And it is certainly true that a vehicle with high ground clearance and long-travel, well-damped, robust suspension would make these damned obstructions less of a pointless, car-trashing nuisance.

People go on at length about the inferior handling and stability of such vehicles. I am sure they are right in many cases, but certainly not all. Range Rovers used to be a bit dodgy with unwary gung-ho driving for example. But in a way I would quite fancy a Porsche Cayenne if I had that sort of income. Very rapid motor, almost certainly got a good ride (never been in one though) and I bet it's difficult to bang any part of it on the road.

As for their being too big and getting in the way, it's a driver issue. Lots of drivers get in the way with Corsas and Minis.

Edited by Lud on 26/10/2009 at 16:09

Who really "needs" 4x4? - madf
I would love an X5 or Cayenne and the income to run one.

But they are just too big for local multi storey car parks...Fun to watch if some driver tries to park one and gets stuck..:-)
I've never owned or had long term use of an X5 but I have driven one a fair bit. Strangely, they don't feel all that big when you are driving them. They are actually lovely things to use. Effortless.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - Zuave
I find the old HiLux 4x4 pick-up useful here on the Isle of Skye. Don't need it everyday mind.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - barneybear
Going back a little I was referring to the needless use of larger vehicles consuming precious oil stocks. I drive as econmically as I can. Work - 60mpg in Megan. We foster kids so 7 seats was essential, with some luggage space (they come on holiday with us). But the Espace was only used if needed. In my experience there are a few people who do require the extra traction that 4x4 gives. They don't always need something disco-sized, eg Panda would do, or x-type as JC demo'd a few years ago on TG. But no, some people choose to buy the posh 4x4 with little regard to their waste. My sister has just got rid of her big Merc 4x4 as she now realises that she doesn't "need" it. Having a young son has made her think about what what might be left for him. My suggestion was that many people do not think about their purchase in those terms and subsequent postings demonstrated this by many.
The larger 4x4 around town for no good reason suggests selfishness, arrogance and even greed to some. I for one would get rid of vehicles with high bhp/weight ratio's, and whilst Gordon is doing his best to tax out the more poluuting vehickles, unfortunately "being able to afford it" types are often those least likley to be thinking of their own personal affects on the envirnment.
By the way I vote labour not Green, I recycle what I can, take the train when I can and don't fly (except once 16 years ago). I do grow some of my own veg and try to buy what is grown locally where I can. So maybe I am more green than others, but I'd like to ensure my kids grow up in a world that protects as far as possible the limited resorces we have.
Solar thermal installed two years ago and solar PV going on very soon too. and yes I do feel smug, but also privalaged that I have been able to save enough money to be able to do this as a token to my kids of the world I want to leave behind.
the picking on of 4x4's was a politics of envy angle rather than a true green concern when it first started to happen...because at that time is was still fairly common for people to have 2 litre petrol cars, which weren't as efficient as the average 4x4 diesel was (and many 4x4's were/are diesel)

my own car and those like it, a 3 litre petrol, were fairly popular 10 yrs ago...yet they don't seem to get picked on as much

...so why are 4x4's?

I can see why people would want a large 4x4 i.e. driving position, robust build and interior space.

If we as a country are really worried about our environment why aren't we planting shed loads of trees and instead of giving corrupt dictators all our Aid millions, using that cash to persuade China and India to cut back a bit and protecting the rainforest. Some Sloane's Range Rover makes a piffling difference compared to those two's usage and pollution....and whilst we're at it the amount of fuel used in the ship that carts all the Prius's about the world versus the extra fuel a Range Rover would use in a lifetime compared to a small car
...tenner says the Range Rover would come out on top of that comparison, even the supercharged petrol version....i.e. the Prius's lifetime ave fuel consumption inc it's share of the ships fuel used compared with the home grown RR.

There's a lot of hypocrisy on this subject.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - andyfr
Well said Westpig. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Edited by andyfr on 03/11/2009 at 07:18

TBH much of the furore surrounding 4x4s its more that they are "unsuitable" for urban environments due to their bulk... its ok for the driver of the vehicle, but for everyone else, other drivers, pedestrians and cyclists it makes things much more dangerous, and thats why I dislike them... they are totally unneccessary for things like shopping or school runs...

Having said that, I feel all cars are getting too large these days, this country's roads are just not suitable for the size of vehicle we are now producing... I wonder how long it will take before the manufacturers stop increasing the size of their latest model... if ever...
>>I wonder how long it will take before the manufacturers stop increasing the size of their
latest model... if ever...

The gradual increase in size allows a new smaller model to be introduced at the bottom of their range. Probably with a great play on how "green" they are, hoping we will not realise what they are doing.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - *123*
Towing a horse box and getting anywhere near my house in the snow ?.

I think if you want/need one its down to the individual ? nothing at all to do with anyone else!?
I think if you want/need one its down to the individual ? nothing at all
to do with anyone else!?

If you need one then fine. If you just want one, then perhaps consideration for the safety and convenience of others should be part of the decision, unless selfishness is the main consideration.

This is what is becoming seriously lacking in our disintegrating society: I was bought up to believe that consideration for others is a far more important, desirable and admirable quality in a person than selfishness.

Sadly, it appears this is a sentiment which has gone somewhat out of fashion. Too many people think they will achieve the admiration of others by belting around in over powered tractors and commercial off-road double cab pickups.
If you need one then fine. If you just want one then perhaps consideration for
the safety and convenience of others should be part of the decision unless >>selfishness is the main consideration.
This is what is becoming seriously lacking in our disintegrating society: I was bought >>up to believe that consideration for others is a far more important desirable and >>admirable quality in a person than selfishness.

You are the one being selfish. You consider that your view is the only important one. If someone wishes (not needs) a 4x4 double crew cab animal ninja wotsit...then so what.

You might want a large t.v. or go fishing at the weekend or fly on holiday once a year or whatever. There will be someone out there who will have a negative view of each and every one of those.... and the rest that I haven't mentioned.

It's called personal choice and freedom.

Unless you are living in a tepee, grow your own food and walk everywhere you are really in no position to dictate to others what they should or should not be doing, as you'll be doing some yourself.
WP, If you read my opinions properly, you'll find I have no objection to farm vehicles being used on the roads on environmental/green grounds. I'm what you may call a "Climate Change Denier", or religious heretic as I would have been called centuries ago. Interesting to read in today's Independent that those who hold "Green" beliefs now have the same protection under employment law to behave according to those beliefs as those who hold traditional religious beliefs. It has, finally, become a religion itself, and as such immediately strikes me as something worth opposing. Anyway.

I think my view is the most important one, not the only important one. Don't know where you get that from. Otherwise I wouldn't hold the view. Same goes for everyone. Your argument seems to me about as bizarre as those who believe the "anti 4x4 brigade" to be envious.

I am in no position to dictate. I am merely stating opinion. However, no doubt if I were in that position, I'd end up like Ceaucescu.
Alanovich,

If I choose to buy a 4x4....and the likelihood is in the next 5 years or so I will....I wouldn't expect anyone else to call me selfish, because I have chosen to do so... particularly if I looked at their own lifestyle and I could no doubt pick a few holes in things if I were minded to do so.

That's the only point i'm making. If you think 4x4's should be restricted to farmers and true need only, fair enough...but many others would think differently... and you did put a poster on here somewhat firmly in their place...which I thought was a tad over the top...so I poked my oar in.
particularly if I looked at their own lifestyle and I could
no doubt pick a few holes in things if I were minded to do so.

Fine. I'm a big boy. If someone wants to call me for selfishness about something, then fire away. I'll either agree and do something about it, or argue my corner as you are doing.
That's the only point i'm making. If you think 4x4's should be restricted to farmers
and true need only fair enough...but many others would think differently... and you did put
a poster on here somewhat firmly in their place...which I thought was a tad over
the top...so I poked my oar in.

I feel strongly about the subject and express my views accordingly, particularly when patronised.

Kind of sharpens the senses when you know someone who's been dragged under one and turned to jam. Yes, I know, all road vehicles can be seen as presenting a danger, but I just don't see the need for anyone to present a greater danger than necessary. Hard to draw a line which everyone could agree on, but I know where I'd draw it. I doubt you'd advocate "Monster Trucks" being suitable for British roads as part of "individual freedom to choose". Maybe you would, don't mean to be presumptious.
I suspect iffen they lived in some of the small hill villages in Spain or Portugal ( from personal experience) or Italy (from repute)
they would prefer a 4 by 4 Panda to a RR/X5 any day
I hope no one hates me now just because I've got one. It's not my fault, I was given it. Secretly I do rather like it though. Should I say that ? Ooer...... I must be a bad person after all.......

;-)
Of course you're a bad person HB. But we are used to it.
He's only slightly bad, its a soft roader, not a "real" 4X4. :-)
Yeah, it is a bit of a girl's car. Must go and get some mud on it to validate it a bit.......

;-)
Haha ... if I buy what I want and it means Im selfish ... then so be it ... the rule 'consider everyone else' could be taken to any extreme .... I would never buy a car because Mr Smith down the road doesnt like it ... as if!?

If pople are 'bothered' about such things they seriously need to get out more - there are more important things to be worried about!
I'm out now as it goes, worrying about some spectacularly important things, upon which lives may depend. What cliched tripe you write. As if? As if?? Right back atcha with a "talk to the hand", if we're embarking upon street argot. And from someone worried about a teeny cosmetic repair to a car they are considering buying, and thereby being scandalised about the perceived honesty of others. You're concerned that the seller is being selfish in trying to get as much money as possible from you, but dismiss the suggestion that your own attitudes may be considered by some as selfish.

But hey ho. Such is the 21st century. You 'ave woteva you fancy, sis. 's no-one else's business, izzit?
Meow ... only my opinion! That's what forums are for!? You dont like mine .. I dont like yours - nobody said we had to agree!
Well that's true, but patronising fluff will often be responded to in kind.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - nick
Put your handbags away girls! :-)

i'm trying to disprove that other thread about how cvilised the Backroom is....;-)

Working briefly in a small African capital in the early eighties, I became friendly with a couple of Nigerian army officers who were part of an OAU peacekeeping force. When off duty they carried dainty little black zip-up leather pouches with a loop to go over the owner's wrist.

Noticing the solid clonk they made when placed on a table or bar, I asked what was inside them. Browning nine-millimetre automatics, that was what.
Is this nonsense still going on? As my wife can often be heard to say, jog on.

Going by some of the logic used on this thread, people should be banned from having more than one child, therefore making it possible that they all drive an Aygo sized car as it is only family or vanity that creates the need for anything more.
Thing is though, id not tell my Mormon neighbours to stop reproducing ( they have a 9 seater Transit currently and having been married to a Mormon woman, having kids in large quanitities seems to be encouraged ) nor would I say to someone that they should own a vehicle that only meets their most basic transport needs. Its kinda the whole point of living in a democracy isnt it?
Who really "needs" 4x4? - nortones2
I'd normally keep my opinions on progeny proliferation private, but Mormons I'd make an exception for:)
Thing is though id not tell my Mormon neighbours to stop reproducing ( they have
a 9 seater Transit

Ah, but Stu you've just proved the whole point of the thread... even they, with their large family, don't need a 4x4... it just proves the point that 4x4s are just a fashion accessory in a large number of cases, and in the wrong locations (outside schools for instance) they can be dangerous as well...

Edited by b308 on 04/11/2009 at 20:46

Not at all. You cant see around a Transit any more than you can a 4x4, its just as large.
The point is, in a democracy, you dont have to justify your vehicle choice so long as its legal. Unless of course you come here. I think anyone with a car bigger than a Fiesta simply has too much car or has had too many children, but I wouldnt ever impose that idea on anyone else.
Who really "needs" 4x4? - cjehuk
I think anyone with a car bigger than a Fiesta simply has too much car or has
had too many children but I wouldnt ever impose that idea on anyone else.

OK accept you wouldn't impose that idea on anyone else but that assumes your car is only ever used for carrying people at most. If you ever need people plus substantial amounts of luggage or your professional life involves carrying bulky objects around then at minimum you'd need an Estate car - especially those who happen to have one of our four-legged friends too.

For myself I feel the Mondeo class car is about as efficient as it gets - big enough to have space to carry an 8' x 4' sheet of ply, but not 1/3 of the fuel consumption of a supermini.
Two adults, one child fits ok in a supermini, especially the bigger ones we have become accustomed to these days. You can buy small estates - the Fabia estate is very efficient for its size and quite honestly, a dog is a choice, an added extra to life like having 5 kids or taking up surfing - you do those things and you extend your needs on purpose - id allow for one child as becoming a parent is a genuinely emotional desire for many rather than a frivolity.

I do have a lot of time for these utility mpvs like the Berlingo however - they seem to have very decent interior space without the need to be huge, but then they are based on space efficient van principles rather than the lavish waste of space too often seen in mainstream cars.

I also think that having a roofbox for the occasional extra luggage space with a supermini is quite acceptable ( we have purchased roof bars and a box for our Sirion for holidays ) rather than having a huge car for the occasional need of extra space - its like driving a Transit luton van because every now and again you might move house.
a dog is a choice

and how, for that matter, can anyone other than a shepherd, cowman, or blind person justify a dog? Apparently a middling sized one has about the same climate change impact as a Land Cruiser driven 6,000 miles a year.

(I exclude the dog-owing Alanovich from this question as he rejects climate change IIRC)

ON's question was not perhaps meant to be taken the way it was, but this whole discussion is ludicrous.

Edited by Manatee on 04/11/2009 at 23:43

ON's question was not perhaps meant to be taken the way it was but this
whole discussion is ludicrous.

It is ludicrous, but also rather sad...sad that dog ownership is frowned upon by some as a frivolous extra, despite the joy it can bring....sad that a larger car is frowned upon, because you could physically fit things into something smaller....sad that 4x4 ownership is seen by some as selfish and a 'look at me' gesture, when it could quite easily be something else .... (and even if it was a vanity purchase, so what, it's their money).

..when all that is happening is people in a democracy are exercising their rights to do as they wish, with what suits them for the circumstances they are in....and that I have no doubt whatsoever that some of the frowners, do things themselves that somewhere, someone else would frown at.

Should we all live in 2 roomed shacks rather than houses, to lower our carbon footprint?.

For what it's worth, I drive a large car (with 99% of the journeys with just me in it). I enjoy it, I get pleasure from driving it, in fact immense pleasure. No po faced killjoy is going to change that...... Now imagine a Churchillian hand gesture.

Precisely Westpig, my comment was TIC. We either accept that people make legal choices, or we accept commissars telling us which ones are politically acceptable and which aren't, and shortly afterwards what to think and say.

I don't 'get' dogs as it happens, and regard them as a nuisance, but I haven't berated anybody for owning one.

I do think they should be taxed about the same as a Toyota Landcruiser though ;-)

Edited by Manatee on 05/11/2009 at 07:33

It is indeed sad these things are frowned upon. The idea that anyone has the right to expect others to change their ideals and preferences on what are quite frankly, minor areas of their life such has how big your car is, is so petty - there are FAR bigger problems in the world.

I by the way dont care for dogs myself, but my nan was a European dog show judge and breeder so I grew up with them and I wouldnt ever say someone shouldnt have one, just that like a big car, its an individuals choice to spend extra money on something they want - dogs are a sore point atm since a neighbours dog made a mess on my lawn - a Landcruiser wouldnt have done that :-)

and how for that matter can anyone other than a shepherd cowman or blind person
justify a dog? >> (I exclude the dog-owing Alanovich from this question as he rejects climate change IIRC)

My dog is my burglar alarm, and a way to teach my children how to handle and care for animals, and not be scared of them, as they are growing up in town. The street I recently moved from had many burglaries, often involving the theft of cars by the taking of keys from inside. This never happened to anyone with a dog in the house.
Missed the edit. Meant to add that it's a Jack Russell - no need for anything bigger to do the job of making a noise and putting off burglars from trying my windows. It's also a vegetarian, like me. I'm sure that will come as no surprise to those who think me a po-faced miserablist or whatever.