Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Vyncenze
Hello

I am after a bit of advice on trading my car up. I currently have a 04 plate Vectra 1.9CDTi (150). I do 80 miles a day on my commute, and the car gives me about 47-48mpg.

While it's served me well, it now has 136k on the clock and is starting to have a few issues. Nothing too major yet, but I don't want to tempt fate and have decided to trade up to something else.

I'm 6' 4" so I need something reasonably roomy, and I don't like Golfs or Focuses. It needs to be at least as economical as mine really.

My question is 2 part. a) What would forum members recommend? and b) what might I expect to get on p/x for my current car? I know the latter is hard without seeing it, but I'm just after a guideline really. Is 2-2.5k realistic? It is the "elite" model with leather trim, climate etc, has brand new MOT and 6 mths tax, and is pretty clean and tidy inside and out. On the downside, the rear brake discs need changed (just done the fronts), the air-con fan is squealing, and the service history can best be described as "partial" (20k, 40k, 55k, 100k, 120k, 135k, not main dealer). It's had timing belt, radiator and EGR valve all replaced this year.

I'm looking to spend around 7k or so cash, plus the trade in. Currently considering Passat 2.0, Civic or Accord 2.2, Alfa 159 1.9 (if I could find one), or another Vectra or mondeo. All diesels obviously. Have I missed something obvious?

Whatever I buy, I'll be looking for around 40k miles, with the idea of selling on after 3 years with less than 100k on the clock. Planning to put a WarrantyWise or similar warranty on for the full 3 years, as sick and tired of getting hit with unexpected bills. My driving is all dual carriageway and country roads.

Your thoughts (very much!) appreciated

Thanks

Joe
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - TheOilBurner
Pug 407 or Cit C5 with 2.0 HDI?
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Statistical outlier
Joe, I have no idea how much your present car might be worth, but I would imagine not much.

As for the cars you list. A Passat is likely to be more economical than a Honda - the Honda 2.2 is a lovely engine, very flexible and my passengers would never guess that it was a diesel, but it is not the most economical - I get about 41 mpg in normal driving making good progress (indicated 80 on motorways with aircon on etc), and can raise that to 46 or so driving like a nun. The VW PD diesels are unrefined in comparison, and have a much narrower, punchier power band, but will probably add 5 mpg to the Honda's figures.

As for reliability, I had some problems in the early days, but I'm very unusual in that, and at pushing 100k my car feels essentially as new.

Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - 659FBE
The old Mk 1 Skoda Superb is a B5.5 Passat with 4" more legroom. You can get it with the 1.9 PD diesel engine (130 PS type AWX) which is the only engine I would recommend in this car. Cars built MY '05> have folding rear seats.

These cars are as cheap as chips now, well specified and are well built. If you can live with the PD engine noise (it's actually pretty quiet in this car) the economy and performance are as good as you will find anywhere. Don't expect brilliant handling.

Avoid the 2.0PD and V6 engines, also avoid all autos and the 6 speed manual box. The 5 speed manual transmission is reliable and gives virtually the same gearing in top as the 6 speed unit.

The Superb is so unfashionable that you can be choosy and get a really nice one for the same money as you might spend on something else.

Edited by 659FBE on 21/10/2009 at 19:26

Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - captain chaos
You could get a brand new Kia Rio 1.5 CRDi. Three years worry free motoring and around 60mpg
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - MGspannerman
I am on my second Skoda Octavia diesel now and commute 114 miles there and back most days. My first one was a 90bhp mk1 and did 52.5 mpg with absolutely no problems at all. I have now done around 5k in the second one (62k on the clock), its a DSG auto and does 45-47 mpg with no problems so far. If you buy from a Skoda dealer then you get a year's warranty which includes european breakdown cover and with a bit of haggling they are really not more expensive, if at all. For the money you are talking about you could get a very nice one, but make sure the cambelt has been done as otherwise you are looking at about £350. By the way I am the same height as you and have no problems. The Octavia has a cavernous hatchback and the mk2s much better rear legroom. I suggest the 1.9tdi is the one to go for, I understand the 2.0 can have headgasket and turbo problems as the miles build.

MGs
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - barneybear
I have a 57 Megan Estate 1.9 cDi 130bhp that returns about 60mpg on the M-way from Durham to Luton each week and back. Drivers seat goes a long way back, height adjust and full sterring adjust too - easily take your height. Good level of spec - air con, elctric windows, CD, cruise and limiter, blinds in the back and x3 proper seat belts in the rear without it coming across the roof. 40k miles with FSH for £50 under £8k....
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - gordonbennet
If the Vect's been a good un and it suits you why not do the same again...should be some reasonable buys about as it's now replaced.

One good thing about this, you'll know straight away if the car you test drive is right or not.
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Alby Back
Once again, the answer is the "M" word

Well, someone had to say it !

;-)
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - gordonbennet
Once again the answer is the "M" word

Funnily enough Hump, i heard a fork lift turning in Aldi's car park yesterday, it turned out to be an M..;)
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Pugugly
M word - Megane ?
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Alby Back
Sorry Vyncenze, I've only just noticed you are new here, "M" for Mondeo......we generally get there in the end.

;-)
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Happy Blue!
And it took eight answers to get there...........I thought we would get there in three!
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - bobbyandmeg
Have you considered a Hyundai Sonata diesel? Seriously, you get a great spec, leather, reliability but of course not badge cred. It depends on your priorities.
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - barney100
Diesel should do a lot more miles before the car claps out. I would get an estimate from a good indie man to resolve the issues and you may get your car into good shape quite economically. Changing a car mostly costs bigtime and we blithly part with a few grand but complain at a few hundred repair costs. OK you get another car but the whole process starts again, last two cars I've bought needed new discs and pads which are mysteriously not covered by warranty even a week after purchase...main dealers in Basingstgoke. I get into the car change mode like everybody else but am beginning to go down the keep the old one running track.
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Vyncenze
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have a good look at a Skoda Octavia I think, and you're right of course to say that an M should be high on my list. The others I will look at too - there's almost too much choice out there for this type of car!

Any thoughts on the value of my Vectra? Am I being overly optimistic? Also, would you expect to get more money for it trading in at a Vaux dealership, or doesn't it work like that?
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - TheOilBurner
You'll get about £2,000 for it, maybe more if it's in good nick.

I wouldn't expect anything extra at a Vauxhall dealer for two reasons: a) your car is too old and high mileage for most franchised forecourts and b) they'd rather be stocking up on more popular smaller cars too.

If you want to maximise your return on the car, sell it privately. You should get £3,000 for it if you find the right buyer.
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - Blue {P}
Volvo S60 for me, economical, reliable, supremely comfortable and safe. If you get a post-2005 D5 engine it will be very quick as well.

Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - brettmick
Last weekend I drove an 07 plate Mondeo, 1.8 petrol with 70k miles up.

I haven't driven a Mundeo for many years, since a mk2, and was interested to see how good a car it was as I hear so many good things about it.

It was not what I had been lead to expect. The gearbox was like stirring porridge, the steering was fussy and indirect, the dash was poorly laid out and required too much eye contact, the clock like a lighthouse distracting me in the dark, the engine lacked punch (although that would be the same for any big car with the smallest petrol engine). The ride was good and the boot huge, but I was underwhelmed.

I thought the same recently with the Focus. We had a base Astra Estate and base Focus estate at work and put 15k on both. The Astra was, in my opinion, better in almost every respect. Reliability wise the Focus lost its gearbox linkage twice and took to filling with water in the passenger footwell, the astra was run without oil for almost two weeks by one of my team yet survived that scare!

Back to the original point. LPG or Diesel and actually why not try an i30 or C'eed? A year or two old should fall under the price suggested and a 2 year old will give you a car still covered by manufacturers warranty for the 3 years you suggest keeping it. Our recent i10 was good enough to give us the confidence in it to sell the 6 month old A3 and replace it with a 5 year old Legacy.
Economical reliable commuting diesel, help please! - ijws15
I am into my second year with a 1.9 Octavia (company car) which now has 42k on it. Only 2 services so far and no additional work at all except 2 front tyres at 25k, no faults at all. Only issues which took it off the road were 2 minor accidents and I can't blame the car for them. Averaging around 55mpg with a 60 mile a day commute. Over 60 on a run driven gently.

Had a 2.2 Accord Tourer for four years before that, 125k miles and far from faultless (posts on here somewhere), as Gordon relates at 120k it felt as new (apart from the drivers seat) - the Skoda is far better on reliability so far (touch wood). The Honda averaged 50mpg - nice drive but looking back was it really worth the extra I paid for it?? Looking forward I am more likley to replace the Octavia with another Octavia than a second Honda. And the Octavia boot swallows what we used to put in the Honda when we went to France.