02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - Robin the Technician
Pug 406 HDi 2.1
Hi,
I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter. After hearing about bits of metal getting into the fuel system, I was thinking maybe to change the whole filter housing including filter which I can get from my local Pug dealer. I'm trying to avoid problems with what is a very reliable car. I could remove it and change the filter 'off car' and give the housing a thorough clean thus avoiding any 'possible contamination. I've also heard stories of the pipe clips breaking and obviously want to avoid that also.

Whatever happens its going to be changed but do i need to bleed the system or just turn on the key, wait till the pump has run and then start up. Does the system self bleed???

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robin the Technician
02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - steve_earwig
HDi 2.1?!! No it aint...

You'll have to disconnect the pipes anyway to get the head of the filter housing off. Some say change the whole thing as the chance of a small particle of crud getting pump side of the filter during changing is too great a risk to take, others disagree. I'm worrying about this one myself as mine's due shortly, although the casing/ filter combo is a stonking 50 quid from the dealers so I might just take the risk.
02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - RichardW
Complete filter unit is available from GSF for less than the dealer. I've not done it, but imagine if you do it off the car, and make sure it is scrupulously clean, it will be OK (*). AFAIK to prime it you just turn the ignition on for 10s till the pump stops 6 times in a row, then go for a start (provided it's a Bosch system - I thinkthe Siemens system has a 'conventional' hand primer bulb). DO NOT crank it mercilessly if it doesn't start immediately!

(*) actually thinking about it, I have done it... on a mate's 306 - just changed the filter element, no probs for about 30k after that, till it got smashed up....
02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - ianjoh
I done my 2.0HDi just using a new element. Make sure you have a couple of containers of kerosene, one for scrubbing the crud and the other for dipping the filter housing in as a final rinse. Best to whip some out of your heating oil tank as its cheaper but dont use it to prefill the filter!
Have plenty of clean rags or disposable blue roll to hand and be methodical, you should be able to do a better job than most commercial outfits as you can afford to put in the time to be meticulous.
02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - joey1904

Is it necessary to use the kerosene, could i just take he old filter out and put the new one in ?

Also is it difficult to get the top off the housing ? its a bosh.

Many thanks.

02 2.1 Fuel filter change - Diesel - Robin the Technician

Hi,

I can confirm having done this job twice on the car now - without any problems. I only changed the element (when i finally got it off). I did clean the head with a can of aerosol brake cleaner although it looked clean enough anyway. All's well and continues to provide excellent service for our family. I will be sad to see her go when she's sold in favour of a Kia Ce'ed estate or a Skoda Superb Estate (SWMBO's choice).

Thanks to those who gave (and continue to give) advice and guidance.

Robin the Technician