Tyre Specifications - nick62
I've just been to have 4 new "Bridgestone Potenza's" fitted to the Legacy, (215/45 x 17 - 87W). The original tyres fitted were these and I've just clocked 47,000 miles, so I can't complain about poor wear and they ride really good.

Despite me asking/telling them several times the specification/type/designation was RE050A, when I turned-up the ones waiting for me were RE050, (i.e. no "A" suffix).

I pointed this out (again), queue telephone call, then an explanation that the "A" suffix is specifically for Subaru! he will get some in tomorrow and honour the original price, (£460 fitted) even though they are about £8 a tyre more expensive.

Anyone in the know what the "A" suffix means? Is it a different compound?

Another thing I noticed which didn't impress me too much was the "Made in Poland" moniker on the new tyres! The originals are made in Japan (no surprise there as Bridgestone is, I believe a Japanese company), should I be worried about inferior quality, (i.e. will they be as good as the originals)?
Tyre Specifications - martint123
Compare them here
www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-tests?term=bridgestone-poten...0
www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-tests?term=bridgestone-poten...a

To my reading the re050 is the better tyre.
Tyre Specifications - L'escargot
The A suffix version is more expensive, but other than that I couldn't work out what the difference was. tinyurl.com/yjkpb48
Tyre Specifications - Statistical outlier
The A suffix version is asymmetric.
Tyre Specifications - Bill Payer

Make sure they put them on the right way around!

Woudn't that need two spares or a space-saver then?
Tyre Specifications - LikedDrivingOnce
Another thing I noticed which didn't impress me too much was the "Made in Poland"
moniker on the new tyres! The originals are made in Japan (no surprise there as Bridgestone is, I believe a Japanese company), should I be worried about inferior quality, (i.e. will they be as good as the originals)?

No, don't be worried about quality at all. The over-rated Continental tyres that came with my car wore out very quickly and I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenzas, made in Poland. They ride more smoothly, grip better in the wet, and last 50% longer. The two rear tyres recently needed renewing and I put fresh Bridgestones on as replacements.

Poland isn't some backward country that has slipshod standards. I trust their workmanship at least as much as British (in fact, rather more - going by recent experiences in having Polish workmen at the house to do some jobs. They were excellent.)

Tyre Specifications - nick62
>> The A suffix version is asymmetric.

>>

Yep, space-saver as a spare, (what a waste of natural resources).
Tyre Specifications - cheddar
No, asymetric can be fitted to any corner, directional need to be rotated on the wheel to be moved from one side of the car to another.

Asymetric offers a significant advantage there.
Tyre Specifications - Roly93
>> The A suffix version is asymmetric.

No this would only be the case if they were 'directional', with asymetric they just need to be mounted with the side of the tyre marked 'outside' on the outside.

According to the etyres website both versions are uni-directional. I'm baffled.
Tyre Specifications - cheddar
The A is asymetric.

www.bridgestone.eu/tyres/cars-suvs-and-4x4s/potenz...0
Tyre Specifications - Andy P
Both the RE050 is directional.

tinyurl.com/qf75t

"The Potenza RE050 features a high-grip tread compound molded into a directional tread design."

The RE050 is asymmetric

tinyurl.com/2hbju7

"On the outside, the Potenza RE050A features a high grip tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread design."

Both the RE050 is directional.

Not necessarily - as cheddar correctly corrected me - asymmetric does not equate to directional..
I can see the difference in the tread pattern now.