04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - dieselfitter
Daughter is concerned that her handbrake warning light has started coming on at random whilst driving. I'm assuming this is just a faulty switch - right?
04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - Dynamic Dave
On most cars this light is also to warn of low brake fluid. This is the first place I would start looking, and preferably before driving the car again.
04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - Number_Cruncher
I think that checking the brake fluid level, as a matter of urgency, is called for.

If there has been a sudden and unexplained drop in level rather than the usual gradual fall which accompanies the normal wear of the pads, then the leak must be found and fixed before the vehicle is used on the road again.
Thanks both, glad I posted. The Ka is such a basic and primitive beast, I'd be surprised if the brake fluid reservoir is wired! However, DD and NC, your advice is much appreciated and has been passed on to daughter to check handbook and brake fluid before leaving for work in the morning.
04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - Rattle
Get your brake pipes checked. They are prone to failing at a very early age of this car and hence leak out of brake fluid.

If you need to top up the brake fluid most likely there is something wrong which needs investigating.
04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - Dynamic Dave
I'd be surprised if the brake fluid reservoir is wired!

I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement for a car to have one.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/10/2009 at 01:30

Indeed it is wired on the Ka. I had to replace on my friends W reg and on my old MK4 Fiesta it is a very common problem that sensor gets stuck although that usualy causes no light to come on when it should :(.

Yes, you're right. Daughter confirms the presence of wires, making it difficult for her to remove the cap and check the level. This at least means she is looking at the right reservoir. I suggested she do what I usually do - rock the car and shine a torch at it. Is this the technical forum?
It just screws off like any normal gap, ignore the wires :). Either way the container is fairly hollow so with a torch you should be able to see the level quite easily.
04 1.3 Handbrake warning light - bell boy
could be a concentric clutch problem