Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - mattbod
Interestingly I saw a competition launched by a motoring weekly and a well known oil company looking for new motoring journalist talent: prize a three month paid internship. Why do these magazines do such things when there are so many bright young journalists who can't get jobs: fall in circulation and advertising revenues being the oft quoted excuses? I used to do a bit of freelance writing but stopped after the editor of a nameless monthly journal wanted me to write gratis. I know of a lot of eager young students who fancy having a go at this but is it worth their while? Hope my old journalist friend Mike is on here with some words of wisdom.

Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - L'escargot
Instead of another Jeremy Clarkson I'd sooner we had someone who had some technical knowledge of cars ~ particularly of engines and transmissions.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/10/2009 at 20:48

Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - Aretas
My 27 month old grandson can recognise the manufacturer of most cars (Well, ten of them at the last count).

Perhaps he should apply?
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - MokkaMan
I seem to remember that the tv programme Driven held a competition to find a new presenter. They found one and as far as I know he was never heard of again?

Does anyone remember who he was and know what happened to him?
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - b308
My 27 month old grandson can recognise the manufacturer of most cars (Well ten of
them at the last count).

You don't need that to be on TG, just the high performance ones will do... they don't bother with the rest! ;)
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - Mick Snutz
Instead of another Jeremy Clarkson I'd sooner we had someone who had some technical knowledge
of cars ~ particularly of engines and transmissions.

yawn, how dull would that be?
Journalism is so much more than talking ad nauseum about the oily bits.
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - teabelly
Which motoring weekly was it?? Journalism is alive and flourishing. It's online not in print. That's where the future is.
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - colinh
Perhaps they are wanted for Fifth Gear.....oh!
It is Auto Express. Answer 5 questions on V Power and Say in a few words why V Power is better than normal fuel and you are away XD.

Seriously though I thought that the future of journalism was online but Drivers Republic even with very talented journalists like Dickie Meaden (ex Performance Car and evo) behind it, only lasted five minutes.
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - mike hannon
We've had Clarksonism for 20-odd years now and it must be time to move on. No-one can deny his talent as a journalist but enough is nearly enough. Although I must confess I regularly re-run his 1989 defence of the XJS on Youtube. Let's hope there are youngsters out there somewhere who are prepared to stand up to the now almost overwhelming odds and get their fresh talent recognised. There must by now be an alternative to the big man - surely the never-grown-up boyracer approach is now long past its sell-by date? Maybe then the fashion for ending every spoken sentence with the last three words being.......uttered......very......slowly will die the death as well.
Having said that, about 15 years ago I entered a contest to win a Toyota Carina E (remember them? No? Hardly a surprise) which required entrants to road test the car and write a review.
Now I had already done a road test/review of the Carina which, if nothing else, encouraged my editor to get one so I thought 'hah! a new car for nothing!' I went to a dealer and staved off boredom to do the road test again, then went home and wrote a stunning review which was nothing but a talented (though I say it myself) take-off of JC. And guess what? I didn't win.
That's when I started going off him, I think.
Who are you mattbod? I'm scratching my head...
Hey Mike nobody you would know trust me. I did a few freelance pieces. They were assignments for a Writers Bureau course that an editor liked enough to publish. I have always wanted to be a motoring writer and got some encouragement from Quentin Willson when I met him many years go. I met those overwhelming odds though and gave up,switched to the law and became a solicitor! Didn't like private practice so went on my travels teaching English as a second language. I am going back into the law as I am about to do an LLM in European Law. Hopefully then could be a legal scribbler or more likely a legislator. I enjoy writing but I think it will only ever be a hobby horse. By the way thanks for the recommendation of "Driving my Way" by Stanley Sedgwick: located copy for a reasonable price and it was a great read.
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - Sofa Spud
I'm in my 50's now so I reckon I'm about ripe to become the preferred newkidontheblock motoring journalist for the Mr. Flatcap string-back glove niche market. I could kick off by reviving one of the biggest cliche old chestnuts of petrolheads of yore.... Was the Vauxhall 30/98 of the 1920's almost as good as the Bentley 3-Litre?..... Contoversial stuff, what?! ...yawn!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/10/2009 at 21:31

...Hang on a minute.... In a way we're all motoring journalists here on Back Room, in our small way. We're a reasonably articulate bunch - I mean we don't get many people saying things like 'ne1 wanna street race me in my Imprezza coz im da fastest nobody beat me whose game" sort of thing. We might be controversial and sometimes we might get it wrong - but that's just like real journalists!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/10/2009 at 21:47

Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - teabelly
Ta for the info. I'll check it out.

The future is online but what is lacking is the means of delivery. The amazon kindle is the start with books. You need a digital magazine reader so you can get Evo or Autoexpress delivered paperlessly and without you having to do anything. Once these electronic paper devices are available and cheap enough then you're away.
...all I'm waiting for is the Bugatti Veyron for my first road test report. OK, Bentley Continental, then! Audi A6? Oh, what about a top of the range Mondeo? Secondhand Ford Ka??? Anything????
Slightly off topic but I am always suspicious of these electronic readers such as the kindle and statements that the internet will banish print. Trouble is technology becomes obsolete very quickly. I saved my university dis on a floppy for example but printed it as well. Good job as my old PC is knackered and my new cmputer has now floppy drive. Plus there is something aesthetically pleasing about paper.

Disappointed about Drivers-Republic as was a great site.And to reply to Sofa Spud I suppose we are all "journos" on here in the sense that we mainly post interesting and informative stuff that the public can access and nearly everyone on here strikes me as very bright. That's why I like the site.

Edited by mattbod on 21/10/2009 at 00:47

Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - Rattle
I would look forward to your piece on a Ford Ka :). It would be like going back to the 1970's with lots of talk of push rods and waxoyl.
Become the new Jeremy Clarkson - Pugugly
.....and cam-belts.

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car