03 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - jp147
I have seen a 2003 (53) Ford Focus 1.6 zetec with 37k miles on the clock. It has 2 previous owners and Full service history and 12 months warranty from a Ford garage.

However I have a couple of concerns about it.

The trouble is the car was first registered in December 2003 and by June 2004 the car had already covered 12k miles and then by about the same time in 2005 the car had then completed about 21k miles. At this point in time the second owner took ownership of the car (an older driver) until the present day (now 37K miles).

To me this suggests that the first owner was perhaps a travelling salesman or something like this and that the second owner had a low annual mileage of about 4000 miles.

My 2nd concern is that on the service history the first service was done at a Vauxhall garage and apart from the one done by the Ford garage I am getting the car from all the other services were done at the SAME non Ford garage. Also I have no invoices from the services to check that the 5w 30 correct oil was used each time.

Would either of the 2 points I have raised be a concern to you if you were the one purchasing this car ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2009 at 02:11

53 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - Dave_TD
Depends on the price.

If there's history present (from any garage) that has to be better than no history at all.

Have you tried contacting the 4000mpa elderly owner directly?
53 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - Number_Cruncher
Having read many of your posts worrying about various aspects of your car and its history, are you sure a second hand car is for you?
53 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - Falkirk Bairn
12k miles in 6 months? Maybe a ex rental car!
53 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - jc2
Walk away;if you're worried now,you'll worry more after you buy it!!
53 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - shara
With regards to mileage-I am personally some one who is not to bothered about buying high mileage cars or cars that have covered high mileages in a short amount of time. My dad once bought an ex compnay car (Vauxhall Cavallier 1.6) that had covered 90k in 3 years. He bought the car in 1994 and it was scrapped in December 2008 when the mileage was 190k! mechanically the car was fine-engine and gearbox were still sweet but after 20 yars the body was rusting badly and was certain to be MOT failure and expensive to fix. As long as the vehicle has a service history and when you test drive it there are no obvious probs then do not be put off by the mileage. As long as the car has been serviced at proper intervals and work carried out properly there should be no worries. Just make sure the price is right.
03 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - kithmo
Sounds like it was probably a hire car for the first 6 months.
03 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - kithmo
I would buy it in a flash. it does a car good to be driven with varying styles in its 1st year and the service history is of no value now anyway so I wouldn't worry about it being serviced at non-Ford dealer. Take the car on its present condition and enjoy.
03 1.6 Advice please on buying this car ? - Rattle
I thought my memory was playing tricks on me

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=79...9

{all replies to the new question now merged to the original one}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2009 at 20:11