LDV CONVOY 400 - fix, recon engine or buy another? - jks1968
Hi,
I have an ex police riot van which has 50K on clock. had it almost exactly a year - cost £1,750 off ebay.
had new alternator fitted about four weeks ago. last weekend it broke down on motorway and called AA out. They said the alternator was loose, the injection pump gar was falling off, the timing belt damaged and a fuel leak. Had to be brought back on truck.
They reckoned it would cost about £1,000 to fix. A guy we know said similar amount but also said that pistons probably damaged and that could be another £500.
He suggested a reconditioned engine as cheapest option but i'm worried that a reconditioned engine will actually end up being an engine that has done more miles than ours has. is this something i should worry about?
Have been quoted £295 for engine and told will take nine hours to fit but i don't have a quote yet for fitting. any rough ideas what that would be?
I have also seen on ebay ex mod crew vans with low mileae on 53 plates going for £3 - £4K.
So, what is best thing to do - fix the injection pump, timing and pistons? Get recon engine fitted? Or get ex mod van?
money very much an issue as will have to borrow whichever option go for and i'm pretty much on the limit of what i can borrow so i need the van to not cost much for next couple of years so need to decide which option will be most reliable as well as taking cost of that option into account. it's our only vehicle and we have 6 children and it's pretty much for school run etc with occasional longer trips for days out or holiday so doesn't get a lot of use.
if go for recon engine does anyone know where can get one that would have a decent warranty? can anyone recommend anyone to fit engine or do the fix?
i know nothing about mechanics and seem to always have trouble finding someone who can do a decent job.
any help much much appreciated.
tried ot post on technical forum as thoght that best place but LDV not in drop down list so can't.
LDV CONVOY 400 - fix, recon engine or buy another? - Dynamic Dave
tried ot post on technical forum as thoght that best place but LDV not in drop down list so can't.

Moved across for you. There is some info in the sticky post When Posting A New Question To Technical Matters that tells you how to post to Technical Matters when the drop down menu's aren't applicable.

DD, BR Mod.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2009 at 20:04