Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am buying one of these next week and haven't seen one outside a showroom -yet! I know there is a shortage due to the production facility also producing the very popular Fiat 500. However, the Ka has been out for some time and has good write-ups so where are they?
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - maz64
so where are they?

There's one on my parents' drive :-)
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - daveyjp
I've seen a few, but the usual Ford discounts will need to kick in before more hit the roads. It is currently an expensive car when compared to rivals from the Far East.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - cheddar
There are a few around here, very good reports, great chassis, better than the Fiat to the extent that Fiat are adopting Ford's chassis settings.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Pugugly
Seen a few around here as well.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - rtj70
I've seen a few but have seen far more FIAT 500's. Obviously they have been out longer but I'm referring to 59 plate cars.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Altea Ego
everyone round my way has bought the FIAT. So much more class than a ford.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - jc2
Not class-SNOBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Bill Payer
I've seen a few too, and it's often some time before I see new cars (haven't seen a new Mercedes E Class, for example).
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - the swiss tony
(haven't seen a new Mercedes E Class for example).

There 'may' be a reason for that.....
Not class-SNOBBERY!!!!!!!!!!!

You either have class and taste

or

You take the Ford.
everyone round my way has bought the FIAT. So much more class than a ford.

The Fiat is funky though the Ford is better to drive apparently. Ford dealers will be better and reckon longer term the Ka will hold its value better.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - rtj70
The modifications to suspension for the Ka are now being fitted to the FAIT 500 to improve that. Even if the Ka is a better drive I prefer to FIAT.
But its, well, you know, a FORD
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Mr.Tee43
All the old ones will have rusted away. I hope yours is a new one because my daughters V reg has been an absolute rotbox. Last 3 MOTs have seen the need for welding to get through. Both cills needed extensive welding and a biggish hole in the floor needed welding up this year.

She was glad of the extension to the scrappage scheme because it is now old enough to comply, so last week we did the deed and she takes delivery of a new Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX.

But aside from the rusty bodywork and the rattles it was a nice little car to drive and handled well.

The brakes were poor though, even after renewing pads and shoes.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - harib
I've seen absolutely loads of the new KAs. Although I sometimes get confused between the new KA and the new Fiesta :$

I do think that the FIAT 500 is a better looking car, but I assume the KA is cheaper?
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - ifithelps
...everyone round my way has bought the FIAT. So much more class than a ford....

'Class' is not the first word that springs to my mind when I think of either Fiat or Ford.

Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Rattle
Seen a few of them :) They should have just continued making the old one though as it was a nice old school simple car - with old school rust problems.

Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Wurzel83
Seen loads around Bristol. Don't know whether its just me but it looks shorter than the old style. Smaller boot maybe?
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Stuartli
The Fiat 500 seems to have been THE car to be seen in around here ever since it was launched - white appears to be THE colour as well...:-)

Do they have daytime running lights? Many of these Fiats seem to have side or headlights on at any time of the day or night.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - sandy56
Ive seen a few of each- the FIAT is definately a womans car,the Ford Im not sure.
Neither for me- no thanks.

I agree with the comment that a quick look can cause confusion between new Ka and New Fiesta. At my age funky is the last thing I need although the Ka brochure had some pretty dire interioir options clearly aimed at Chav Central! I find £35 a year Road Tax and £145 full comp with a £100 XS and protected no-claims very attractive. Pick up on Wednesday and a 200 mile trip home. I hope I like it, it will probably be the last car I buy!
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Alby Back
Hope you enjoy it AS. I've always had a soft spot for Fords. They have always been good to me. It'll be a pleasing drive I'll bet. Take no notice of the Surrey schmoozers in their retro cinquecento dream world. It's all that Waitrose food. Gives them airs.

;-)
We shall invade your Morrisons carpark with italian chique and flair.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Dave_TD
In my town there is a Ford dealer well known for pre-registering cars and having a huge stock of virtually new "used" cars for sale. As a consequence the very latest Ford model is frequently seen locally in disproportionately large numbers.

Quite a few New Kas around here, on 58, 09 and 59 plates. The new Fiesta very quickly became ubiquitous, and the town centre currently enjoys rather more than its fair share of Focus RS action.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Stuartli
I have to admit that I find the new Fiesta a very funky, with it vehicle - in fact the new Ford look is very engaging for all its model ranges.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Dutchie
Enjoy the car armitage i have seen a few around here looks nice .Have a safe drive home.
Take no notice of the Surrey schmoozers in their retro cinquecento dream world. It's all that Waitrose food. Gives them airs.
;-)

We used live but a walk from a Surrey Waitrose, now they deliver down here, things are looking up!
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Dutchie
Up here its asda price or every penny counts and posh retro pandas.
Its nice to be posh just me with a dutch accent ,never mind i keep
trying never to old to learn. (smiley)
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Harleyman
Despite the old Ka's reputation as a rotbox and the fact that its styling was definitely an acquired taste, they're apparently great fun to drive. Personally the rear end put me off , looked just like the front of a Heinkel bubble-car.

The scrappage scheme discounts may well have helped FIAT's sales; we actually considered the 500 before buying a Hyundai, thinking that the 500 would have better residual values, added to the fact that like many others we loved the styling. One niggle put me off; there is a drawer on the binnacle and I found that the tab which sticks out to pull it caught on my left calf. It irritated me on a five mile test drive so there was no way I'd put up with it on a longer journey.

I think the cuter styling of the 500, combined with FIAT's clever marketing, will ensure that it outsells the Ka unless Ford do something really drastic. Have to say that I don't think the new Ka looks anything special and its past reputation may haunt it.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - injection doc
Had a demo top of the range ford KA for a week 2 weeks ago & couldn't wait to give it back. It was a petrol model & it was thirsty & flat. The clutch had a horrible feel to it. Felt like sponge. The road noise was tremendous even at 30 mph. I was looking at upgrading our 18 month old C1 but no way.
It was very tight for space inside & felt very cramped compared with C1 & was no where near as nippy & used double the amount of fuel in a week doing the same trip each day.
A truly very expensive & over rated car!. At 12k twice the price of the C1 way too dear.For such a small car it should be half the price.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Bill Payer
>>At 12k

Jeepers! OK, I know they're available with chunky discounts but you can get a decent spec Honda Jazz for that.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Sofa Spud
In answer to 'has anyone seen one of these on the road?

Yes, but they are not very noticeable, since they look like a cross between the new Fiesta, which we're only just getting used to, and the old Ka!

The new Ka is much better looking than the Fiat 500, on which it's partly based.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Quite a few in north Derbyshire, but as I said before, looks identical to a 3 door Fiesta.
Neighbour has had one for 6 months or so.
The new Ka is much better looking than the Fiat 500 on

www.specsavers.co.uk/
Very many thanks for the replies to date; I will report back after my 200 mile delivery drive on Wednesday. If I may say so this thread has proved to be typical of the kind and gentle nature of this forum. A broad brush non-controversial question, many replies with balanced comments and even posts wishing me happy ownership and a safe drive home. What could be nicer than that?
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Pugugly
Well I prefer them to Fiat 500s - they look too cuddly.
Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Happy Blue!
I really really really (!) like the new Fiesta design and find the new Ka a smaller version, which has its own quirks, but is generally pleasing on the eye.

I must admit taking a brand new car on a 200 mile drive as soon as you buy it is a baptism of fire for any car. I hope AS still likes his choice when he gets home.
It is actually a 200 mile stretch on the A1/A1(M) but I intend to pick a non-motorway route for the first hundred miles to get a bit of gearchanging and braking done. I have read the advice re running in a new car!
I must admit taking a brand new car on a 200 mile drive as soon
as you buy it is a baptism of fire for any car.

Why? I plan a day off and a long drive on delivery day of my new cars. At least 200 miles.
You get to know the good and bad parts of your car (like seat and comfort and you get the chance to adjust the seat properly) The car does its early running in while its nice and hot and everything beds down hot. (brakes, tyres engine gearbox etc)

I also thrash mine to within an inch of its life and all have been as sweet as a nut and non oil burners. I doubt AS will take this advice tho.
Why should you think I would not take your advice AE? We both seem like sensible old codgers and I don't think you've ever handed out any duff gen!
He he

Good choice AS!
...It is actually a 200 mile stretch on the A1/A1(M)....

Plenty of average 50mph limit stretches north of Wetherby towards Scotch Corner.

Be careful not to do too much constant speed running. :)
Thanks ifithelps - it does! I am planning to break East at Morpeth and got thru the Tyne Tunnel, A19 to Thirsk and then pick up the A1 Southbound to Stamford.
...I am planning to break East at Morpeth and got thru the Tyne Tunnel...

Good idea, distance-wise it might be a few more miles than sticking on the A1, but you have a better chance of a clear run using the A19/Tyne Tunnel than you do going past the MetroCentre and the Angel of the North.

A new Tyne Tunnel is under construction, but the old one remains fully open, so there's not too much impact on traffic.

You will rejoin the A1 at Dishforth having missed most of the roadworks.

There's now a large service area at Wetherby - Marks and Sparks, W H Smith newly-built lodge accommodation etc.

Worth making sure you have plenty of fuel for this stretch, one of the filling stations on the A1 has already been demolished, and one of the other service areas is in wind-down mode because it will be knocked down in the next year or so.

Have a good trip.

Edited by ifithelps on 14/10/2009 at 19:10

Has anyone seen one of these on the road? - Alby Back
Posh loos at Wetherby services too if you feel like being upmarket about that sort of thing. As opposed to Leeming Bar for example where they aren't.

Enjoy your car AS. C'mon then, colour, spec etc ? We need to know !
Colour is whatever Ford call silver these days; Style+, no alloys, with a/c and no extras available from stock OR for a build to order. I had to do the deal within 4 months of handing in my scrapper and with Xmas coming up it was too risky to wait. In any event, at the moment, even for a build to order one cannot have extras. I wanted the Bluetooth and audio controls on the steering wheel. In the end I took one from dealer stock in my 2nd choice colour and that is it.
Why should you think I would not take your advice AE? We both seem like sensible old codgers and I don't think you've ever handed out any duff gen!

Why should you think I would not take your advice AE? We both seem like
sensible old codgers and I don't think you've ever handed out any duff gen!

Deja vu?
AE - what is your answer? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well Yes, but actually trying to get AE to explain his view that I might not take advice from him! Plus posting twice on a V slow computer at work - sorry!!!! Mods please delete one of the duplicate posts

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/10/2009 at 20:16