Skoda Superb Hatchback - mickeybay
I'm interested in the new model Superb to replace an existing estate. However, the back seats do not seem to fold flat (or even nearly flat!), severely reducing the height available.
I've seen a pic somewhere on the internet which showed this 'problem' and I also saw one at a local dealers.
Was it just the model I saw?
If not, why do manufacturers do this, why not design them flat?
Skoda Superb Hatchback - Falkirk Bairn
Superb estate due 2010
Skoda Superb Hatchback - AnRuaRi
Well it's highly unlikely that you saw a Superb Estate at t UK Showroom. _ I called their head office and they said they wont have any in the showrooms untill February '10, and soonest delivery will be March '10
If you download the Superb pdf Brochure from the SKODA website (or look on the frankfurt motorshow online pics) you will see that the superb seats do indeed fold fully flat.

I think the Octavia seats do not go fully flat without mucking about with headrests & such. - and I think the same is true of the Superb Salon version. - but the Superb estate is definately the best estate for the money on the market - or will be in March when it hits the UK streets.
I think you may have misread my query. I was refering to the hatchback, not the upcoming estate (combi). I didn't know there was an estate due until I received the first reply to this thread.
The non-estate version does not seem to fold flat, even if you remove the headrests. I looked at the pdf brochure, there are two pictures with the seats not even nearly flat.
The estate (combi) is another matter, yes, it looks flat in the pics.....!
I've noticed this 'non flat' trend on many hatchbacks, especially where there are existing/upcoming estate versions. I wonder why!!! (grin, retorical question).
Skoda Superb Hatchback - rtj70
I think he is saying the seats in the Superb Hatch/Saloon do not fold flat. He never said it was the estate.
Skoda Superb Hatchback - boxsterboy
the Superb estate is definately the best estate for the money on the
market - or will be in March when it hits the UK streets.

Do tell us where you get your crystal balls from! :-)
Skoda Superb Hatchback - J1mbo
There is currently no Superb hatchback, there is a new saloon and estate on the way, as others have said. Head over to the Auto Skoda website and download yourself a pdf for the new Superb. I do seem to recall that they DO have fold flats, but check the site for yourself. My Mazda has them, VERY VERY handy. Maybe have a look at the 6 hatchback??
So, there is currently no Superb hatchback??
From the HJ review:
'And so you don?t do your back in loading luggage, the bootlid will open conventionally, like a saloon. Or you can open the whole back, like a hatchback.'

AND

'The twindoor rear hatch has no wiper, so seeing behind can be like peering through a shower curtain.'

Sorry, but I suggest YOU look at the brochure! It might be called a saloon, but it's a hatchback!

Yes, Mazda 6 would also be in my thinking but I think there is no automatic diesel in the range, this put me off the Honda Accord Estate several years ago, the new model may be different.

Skoda Superb Hatchback - b308
According to Skoda its both... they call it a "twindoor"!
Skoda Superb Hatchback - cattleman6
The present Skoda Superb is fantastic. They call the back door a "twin door". It is amazing. you open the back boot lid and it has an enormous saloon boot. Close it and press a button then open again and you have a hatchback. The actual boot in the new Superb is enormous and there is so much space for three large passengers in the rear.
Skoda Superb Hatchback - 659FBE
But the seats don't fold properly.

I have a Mk1 Superb and it's just the same - stupid. On occasions I have had to unbolt the seat backs to carry big items. The damned thing needs a wiper too.

I'll reserve judgement on the Mk2 estate when I see it.