06 1.8TDCi Locating turbo-intercooler pipe? - studarl
Hi, my Focus had the now seemingly common loss of power followed by Engine System Fault light the other night, and doesn't seem to have quite the same get up and go that it did previous to this.

So I took it into the local garage and they identified 2 faults that had been logged - one with the Turbo, and the other with the Fuel Pump.

Since I only bought the car back in August (having only covered 32000 miles) they thought one may have been carried over from before, so they said I should keep driving the car until it happens again, so they can diagnose a problem.

While I am not sure if this is good advice or not, I have been driving it (but not on long journeys - I am a gigging musician) and it just feels like something is wrong, but despite spending an hour pelting down a stretch of dual carriageway I cant get any real loss of power or lights to come on.

So I wonder if there is a crack in the pipe as mentioned in the honest john what to watch out for section of the Focus II listing, but since I know very little about cars I don't know where this pipe is.

Can anyone help with a diagram or description so I can check it if possible?

Could really do with getting this sorted out as I have lost all confidence in it, and feel like I ought to sell it (its my first car purchase - not a great experience!!!!) and go back to my dads old Fiat Brava which despite having a 1.2 litre petrol engine has never had any problems and only needed about £1000 worth of work in over 100,000 miles and 9 years.

Thanks

Stuart

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/10/2009 at 13:36

06 1.8TDCi Locating turbo-intercooler pipe? - MikeTorque
Since I only bought the car back in August (having only covered 32000 miles) they
thought one may have been carried over from before, so they said I should keep
driving the car until it happens again, so they can diagnose a problem.

They thought... ! (can't be bothered more like)

Take the car back to the garage (or another garage) if it's still in warranty, it's up to them to locate and fix the problems, it's not your problem. They have to honour the warranty agreement otherwise set trading standards on to them.

They may be trying to hang you out to dry until the warranty/guarantee runs out, in which you become liable for repairs, so the sooner you go on the offensive and get them to sort out the problems the better. Keep us posted with developments.
No the car isnt still under warranty

I bought it from Carsite as an ex motability vehicle.

So it wasnt from a "dealer" as such, I did wish that I purchased a years all repairs covered warranty from carsite but couldnt really afford it at the time after paying nearly £6k for the car.

The garage is one of the better ones in my area, its bosch approved if that means anything to anyone. He said at the time he would rather not do any work on it until he is sure that the problem is one or the other because both parts would be expensive to fix/replace and he understands that I am not made of money.

Stuart
06 1.8TDCi Locating turbo-intercooler pipe? - cheddar
If it was bought from any sort of dealer in August it must be warrantied.
06 1.8TDCi Locating turbo-intercooler pipe? - kithmo
SOG should cover it for 6 months
This thread appears to have got a little sidetracked. AFAIK carsite do not offer any warrantees with their vehicles as they are not a "dealer" as such and just buy the cars in from fleet companies, MOT them then sell them on "as is". They do offer a years cover for repairs but you have to pay extra for that and I couldn't afford it at the time.

Can anyone help with my original question i.e. locating the pipe in question to see if its cracked or not?

Thanks

Stuart
06 1.8TDCi Locating turbo-intercooler pipe? - crw
Hello. You may have already located it by now, but the pipe to the intercooler runs along front of engine and then down side of engine block. Have had similar problem with a 1.6 tdci, on which the pipe had a huge crack causing the car to overboost and then the turbo would just drop out entirely. The pipe, I would imagine, is the same in principle on the 1.6 and 1.8's.