01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - easypeasy
Hello folks. Having owned a citroen xsara 1.9 diesel(non turbo) I sort of expected this 2.0 hdi model to have a bit more oomph!! At 70mph it feels as if it doesnt want to go much quicker but does get to 90. The car has done 118,000 miles. Is this just a big slow boat?! Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/10/2009 at 19:42

01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - Peter.N.
The 406 is a heavy car, grossly under powered in the 1.9td version, I dont know how the Hdi compares but I think the best one is the 2.1.
01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - dereckr
I can?t tell from the CBC guide whether this vehicle ever had the lower power HDI 90 BHP unit, probably not. You could be expecting too much, but most people recon the 110 2litre HDi engine to have a good performance, even in a large car like the 406. It shouldn't be running out of puff at 70, even uphill. My brother has owned one for some time and it goes very well. It?s also a very capable tow car (he tows a caravan) has done over 250k and still returns good economy. Of course your car might have a fault, have you had it checked out? What?s the economy like? Try running a proper brim to brim test logging the fuel used over a thousand miles. You could expect a high forties figure, maybe higher? Significantly less could indicate a problem.

Edited by dereckr on 07/10/2009 at 22:12

01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - DP
If you have the 90PS (the car was offered with both the 90 and 110 versions), they are woefully underpowered. I had one (6 months old, 12k on the clock) as a company car for a short time, and while I very much liked the car itself, it was almost dangerously slow. Wouldn't hold 5th and 70 mph up a steep motorway incline (Stokenchurch on the M40 would have it down to 4th), and overtaking wasn't an option on all but the straightest roads.

You can have the 90 remapped to 110-115PS at various places for £300-£400. ISTRC, the 90 and 110 engines are the same, apart the mapping, and the 110 having an intercooler.

They're not terrifically economical either in my experience because you have to work the thing so hard all the time to make any progress. I was getting 45 mpg on a run, and 38 in town. Some of the guys had 110's and they were better in every respect. It's amazing what 20PS does. They were regularly seeing over 50 mpg too.

Great engine, just not enough of it for the car in my opinion.
01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - steve_earwig
The HDi 90 also lacks a dual-mess flywheel (a major plus!)

There have been quite a few remapped HDi 90s on the owner's club and owners report a large improvement in economy, as well as power, plus they seem to carry on for many thousands of kilometers with no adverse effects . as the man says, they're basically the same engine.
01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - easypeasy
Thanks a lot guys for your advice. I have read some guy saying he gets 700 miles to a tank but the best I got was 630-640 miles (all motorway)but in town I notice a lot less! I am getting a service next week so maybe that will make some difference. I should have mentioned it is an estate. Cheers
01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - 659FBE
The 406D was on my short list as a towcar - until I tried it.

The 90 BHP version is hopeless and the 110 I thought very poor compared with the 130 BHP VAG PD diesel.

The best car I could get for my money fitted with this engine and up to tow weight was a Skoda Superb Mk1. It has been reliable and tows like a train - no comparison with a back to back test with the 406. The unhitched economy is good too.

01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - steve_earwig
There's always the 136bhp 2.2HDi (but then you have to deal with the dreaded FAP). When looking for a replacement for my '98 406 2.1td I looked at all sorts including cars from VAG but found them uninspiring and nowhere near as comfortable, so I ended up with an '04 2.0HDi 110. They may look the same on paper but the HDi is indeed rather gutless in comparison. Shame they stopped selling the 2.1 in 1999, I'd put up with a tiny bit more fuel consumption as a trade off for what is a much more drivable car. Cheaper to fix too :(

For the OP: Ongoing thread in the owner's club forum: tinyurl.com/yk3o22k
01 2.0HDi Feels slow and underpowered. - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin
I suggest you have the cambelt checked