oil change myths - dieseldogg
Like how come I run a TDI Galaxy to 206,000
Origionally on tractor oil being Case No1, changed every 5000k, with proper Knect filter
then somewhere about 100,000 miles
changed to semi synthetic, no particular brand, bought at random, to VW spec from motor Factors
& changed every 10,000, with filter as above( maybe a Framm filter bytimes)
Its a 110 tweeked to 125bhp
i am diligent about checking the dipstick and topping up
A wee drip due to a crankshaft oil seal
Origional injectors & head gasket & exhaust too
OK
#Back to polishing my Halo
oil change myths - concrete
Like a lot of things; it is determined by circumstances. I put high mileages on my vehicles and only change the synthetic oil every 17K. 95% of my mileage is major road/motorway at 2000-2500 revs in top gear. Ideal running temperature, minimal stress so the oil should last longer. In town however the rules change, stop start, lower running temperature etc. My mate has a diesel Astra with 307K miles, he changes oil and filter every 10K with standard oil(non synthetic). With mixed motoring he has had no trouble and the engine is still sweet. So I guess it's horses for courses. Concrete
oil change myths - 659FBE
These figures show the value of good maintenance. I note from a previous thread that your Galaxy has a pre-PD engine. Wheras your choice of oil has been appropriate to that engine (the pre-PD engines had no special requierements - any good oil of the correct viscosity and even a mild "duty" rating would do - a PD diesel needs oil to specific VAG requirements.

Having said that, I've seen some 1.9 PD units with starship mileages too, with little evidence of camshaft wear - correctly lubricated, of course.

A good diesel engine with a properly engineered fuel system (very important, as costs are high and not all systems are consistently reliable) is a durable, efficient and long-lived prime mover.

oil change myths - DP
I agree with Concrete - circumstances are everything. If your engine gets properly warm regularly, and/or you don't drive it everywhere on full throttle and bouncing off the limiter, I don't think any half decent modern oil would struggle with a 10-12k change interval in a typical modern 70-something bhp per litre passenger car engine. Lots of short runs or serious caning would be different, as might, say a hard driven, high output turbo or high revving VTEC type application (both of which might benefit from shorter intervals or mandatory top spec oils), but in the main, I think the modern oils are quite capable of these kind of intervals, and the fully synthetic brew that I drop out of the Volvo's sump at 12.5k is probably still in better nick than the cheap and cheerful 15W/40 mineral stuff I'd drain from the Pinto engine in my old Sierra years ago after less than half the miles.

My Volvo has managed 150k on 12.5k intervals, and still doesn't show any signs of engine wear at all (near zero oil consumption, comfortable MOT emissions pass, sweet and smooth etc). I am sticking to the same intervals, but the car spends most of its time on 25+ mile runs, mostly on the motorway on light throttle at circa 3,000 RPM, so the oil gets thoroughly warmed through on every trip, and the engine isn't demanding too much of it.

For me, personally, service intervals stretched much beyond the 10-12k mark have been implicated in far too many issues for me to be comfortable with the idea. Renault dCi turbo failures, premature timing chain failures on many makes, and a catalogue of woes that forced VW to caveat its Longlife scheme so heavily that now it must apply to a mere fraction of new buyers. I still believe that long (18k+) service intervals are inherently marketing rather than engineering-led.

oil change myths - OldSock
Origionally on tractor oil being Case No1 changed every 5000k with proper Knect filter

Changing at 5000k will indeed result in a proper knecht engine :-)
oil change myths - Ben 10
And the myth is?
oil change myths - dieseldogg
The myth was that one needed to change every 3000miles with castrol /mobile1 etc etc
For engine longivity
I should point out that Case No 1 oil fully met the Vw505 whatever spec applic
and actually stated so on the 20 jar.
I would obviousley check that any oil met the manufacturers specification and as far as I recall when the PD engines were first introduced
ONLY the VW oil could meet the spec.
Therefore I would have bought VW oil until an identical spec, but cheaper, reasonably recognised, brand came on the market.
I did mean miles
one local factor tired to sell me a Cooper filter
I did not buy it as it was only about 60% the size of the VW type

Actually I figgure checking the dipstick between services is of more importance
And I know people who dont
and people
who wait for the warning? light.
Well thats what its for , innit?

Edited by dieseldogg on 06/10/2009 at 11:12

oil change myths - DP
I don't understand why oil level indicators aren't standard fit across all cars. My old 1998 306 XSi had one in the bottom of the rev counter). Brilliant tool. Not hugely accurate, but consistent. Would flash angry red if the level got to minimum or below (or in my case sometimes if I parked on a kerb or a steep hill). My dad had a 1983 Sierra many moons ago which had a bright orange low oil level warning light in the middle of the dash.

Simple, brilliant, cheap, effective.

My Volvo monitors all its fluid levels and tells me via the computer panel if it needs anything. I do check both cars most weekends (or at least every other), but it's an added comfort.

All cars should do this. I know people should check, but they don't and that's the hard reality of the situation.

Edited by DP on 06/10/2009 at 11:27

oil change myths - 659FBE
My big VAG diesel monitors most fluid levels and tells me of deficiencies (and "bongs" to make sure I notice).

Most fluids - not all. One fluid I would not wish to lose is the hydraulic oil for the PAS. There is a dipstick in the reservoir but no dashboard warning.

The damned thing will moan when the screenwasher reservoir is half empty but will give me no warning of an impending fault which will result in a vehicle I'm not strong enough to steer (I've tried it with the engine off). What sort of Teutonic logic is this?

Edited by 659FBE on 06/10/2009 at 15:19

oil change myths - bathtub tom
You'll be able to see the tree even if you can't steer round it. ;>)