Estate Choice - snorkerz
Okay Guys - 3 Estate cars, all the same price, which would you buy?

Renault Megane 1.5D Dynamique (57) 32k
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi (56) 35k
Ford Focus Ghia (07) 23k

FWIW, I only do about 5k a year tootling around town.
Estate Choice - Rattle
Without a doubt the Focus, but if I was only doing 5k a year I would not buy any of those things. I would get a cheaper higher milleage car. If you're doing 5k a year then you're just watching your investment go down, imagine the cost per mile : eek
Estate Choice - Avant
I'd go for the Focus definitely - better to drive than the Astra and more chance of getting a good one than with the Megane. I'm slightly surprised that they're the same price.

I see Rattle's point but if you keep it for a long time then it'll be a reasonably good investment, provided that the price is not too high in the first place.
Estate Choice - snorkerz
Looking at around £8k - have to buy less than 3yo as paying through Motability finance.
Estate Choice - Statistical outlier
Snorkerz, if you are eligible for Motability, would you not be better off going through their lease scheme? A friend of mine has a Golf that cost her £600 for the 3 year lease (plus all mobility payments obviously). She just has to fuel it - everything else is covered. Would be a far better deal if you could get it.

Still not worth not being able to walk though.
Estate Choice - NowWheels
if you keep it for a long time then it'll be a reasonably good investment
provided that the price is not too high in the first place.

Avant, a newish mass market mid-sized car many be many things, plenty of them good. But it is not an investment, other than in man-maths. :)

Its value will only go one way: downwards. That's not an investment.

It may, perhaps, in some circumstances, be a more efficient form of spending than buying a crock which needs repairs every thirteen minutes. But as investment, it's about as good as a hot air balloon with a puncture.
Estate Choice - Avant
I used the word 'investment' loosely. If Snorkerz keeps the car for some time, then it's a reasonably good use of his money.

Finance is a vital consideration of course but it's not the only one. The chances are that a newish Focus will give less trouble then something older - and with a disabled wife (per his other thread) I'm sure that reliability is crucial.
Estate Choice - ForumNeedsModerating
Avant, a newish mass market mid-sized car many be many things, plenty of them good. But it is not an investment, other than in man-maths. :)

NW, perhaps you're in danger of confusing the meaning of investment. Investment can mean something as straightforward as return on capital or as complex as buying a new piece of machinery (be it commercial or personal) to achieve a particular end or task.

If you're a company that buys a widget-maker, that widget-maker will depreciate in value over time , but will in the meantime make the company profits selling its output.

The same goes for cars bought by people. If the car provides transport for the various functions it might be put to, it produces that benefit for the person. Like the commercially bought widget-maker, it will depreciate in value but is an investment nevertheless.

An investment, but maybe not in terms of woman-maths ;)
Estate Choice - NowWheels
I agree with Rattle: none of the above.

If you're only doing 5K miles a yaer around town, buy something cheap. That way you won't get upset when it's bashed or bumped, as inevitably happens in town.

Plus all that urban mileage is tough on a car. Gives it asthma, or something like that. No point in doing that to an expensive car.
Estate Choice - old crocks
Another vote for the Focus. Unless the condition was significantly worse than the others.
Estate Choice - Rattle
I spent £1150 on a car because I do 4k a year, it just seemed madness to spend more. Just get something fairly new with solid body work and it will last for years and years. I am sure for around £4k you could buy something that will last for for ten years.
Estate Choice - rtj70
I'm doing really low mileage these days. By the time my current car is two years old it will have done about 26000 miles!

But our other car has done less than 25,000 miles in 7 years! And if we keep it it might have done another 5,000 in the next 7! My wife swapped jobs so the car is not used much.
Estate Choice - barneybear
I've driven all 3, and can honestly say that I have been very impressed with the Megan. I've only had to replace a headlight bulb in just over 2 years on it and new tyres. Servicing is only 18,000 miles, and cost about £150 each time. I've done 46,000 miles and could let you have it for just under £8000. I will replace with a Grand Scienic as we have to ferry about more kids than fits in 5 seats!. The boot of the Megan is huge (bigger than the old Laguna) and rear space can fold flat as the seat squib lifts up.
You also get x3 proper seat belts in the rear without it coming across the roof lining which has been great for the little one's buckling up.
You get extra kit for the money too (Dynamique trim): blinds in the back, speed limiter and cruise control, decent cubby storage including storage in the foot wells and proper roof rails.
If you are not too far away (Luton work, Durham home) happy to let you have a spin in it.
Estate Choice - snorkerz
Thanks Barney - I'm at the opposite end of the country (S W Wales) so I'll take a rain check on that. Need to buy through Main Dealer to get Motability Finance.
Estate Choice - Nickdm
The Astra looks overpriced alongside the Focus, and Renault long-term reliability is deemed questionable by many people. So Focus for me.

Evan with an annual mileage of barely 5000 I'd still go for a new-ish car such as this. It should be innately reliable for longer, and be a newer/nicer place to spend time sitting in.
Estate Choice - barneybear
That's a shame. I could always do a 3-way deal with the dealer....
Seriously do have a good luck at the Megan. Forgot to mention that mine is 1.9CDi (130bhp) and does 56mpg average for work. The 1.5 will be even better.
Estate Choice - cheddar
The Focus, I am amazed that they are the same price, the Focus sounds like a great deal in relative terms.
Estate Choice - snorkerz
Well, looks like Focus is the fave by a mile - but any reason NOT to buy the other two??
Estate Choice - cheddar
but any reason NOT to buy the other two??

The Focus has a better reputation.

What engine is the Focus? Not that it makes much difference with the low mileage you do though if it is a petrol the Megane will have an MPG advantage.
Estate Choice - Statistical outlier
A female friend of mine, likes Vauxhalls (was replacing a loved Corsa) but not 'a driver', tried the Astra estate and hated it. She thought it was nowhere near as nice to drive as the Focus. Strange really, there is not very much between the hatches.
Estate Choice - Falkirk Bairn
I've driven all 3 and can honestly say that I have been very impressed with
the Megan. Servicing is only 18 000 miles and cost about £150
each time.

The OP does 4,000 miles / year - 1 x annual service (i.e. change oil) is necessary - leaving it till 18,000 miles (4.5 years) would undoubtedly strain even the best built cars
Estate Choice - honeybear
Had our Focus Zetec Estate for 18 months now from new and apart from the A/C leak which was fixed under warranty have nothing but praise for it, our next choice of car? Focus Zetec Auto Sea Grey colour. Had a Megane Estate before that from new and it was rubbish, never again.
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - snorkerz
Following on from the earlier post, I checked with the dealer what engine size the Focus had - and found the car was a Hatch instead of an Estate!

So - Accepting the HJ preference is for the now non-existant Focus, votes for the Megane or Astra please.

First impressions - Petrol Astra slightly overpriced @ £8k, Diesel Megane not over-confident about reliability.

As we are looking at low miles - it would be interesting to hear if the Meganes problems correlate to the mileage. When I was young (a long time ago) diesels were noisy but lasted forever.

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - cheddar
I would look for another Focus though an estate, perhaps 10k more miles, maybe six months or a year older, or a Zetec rather than a Ghia.

At the same age/mileage as the others the Focus would be preferable IMO.
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - TheOilBurner
Why not look for other Focuses? They're fairly common, after all.

Otherwise, go for the Astra. I cannot recommend the Megane. I bought a nearly new, low mileage "Migrane" a couple of years back from a Renault main dealer.

Two problems with the car: firstly, it was utterly rubbish in ways I simply thought impossible for a modern car and secondly, the dealer didn't give a stuff! Some issues were inherent design faults, others were problems that the dealer was unable or unwilling to fix.

I'm not sure I'd dare risk it again. We also used to run a fleet of Meganes and Lagunas at work, the sorry tales of woe, with sometimes seemingly unfixable problems was almost, but not quite, funny. Like the day a colleagues gearbox locked up (after having maybe the fifth, or sixth new gearbox and clutch fitted in a matter of months) on the way back from a pub lunch. It was surprisingly heavy to push off the road! So I don't think my car was exactly a one off either.

I sold the Megane after a brief 4 week ownership period, thankfully not losing much. I couldn't get rid quick enough, believe me.

No doubt someone will come along and say how great their Megane is/was (maybe!) but a simple trip over to the Megane owner's club website is quite revealing....
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - Statistical outlier
Snorkerz, you're definitely not eligible for a Motability car?? I know I asked earlier up the thread, but if you are, it's an unbeatable deal, pretty much whatever you go for..

Otherwise, I'd say to find another Focus, superior to the other two in most ways.

Edited by Gordon M on 30/09/2009 at 12:44

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - Nsar
Buy the Subaru Legacy.
Buy the Subaru Legacy.

Same as the Focus - only 1 garage I can use (in Cardiff) and nothing affordable/acceptable to Motability in stock.

Thanks for the suggestion though
Can't afford to give up the full allowance and not keep the car :-(

Simply can't fnd another Focus Estate available through Motability HP within the reasonable area. As Mrs Snorkerz is wheelchair bound, long car-hunting journeys are not really viable.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

If you give up the full allowance, then a brand new Ford Focus 1.6 estate with an autobox would cost you £1000 for three years use. You would only have to put fuel in it, absolutely nothing else. See: tinyurl.com/yeaz5uz . A manual could be had for £600 if you don't need the autobox.

The car would be brand new, include servicing, insurance, and all consumables except fuel.

I cannot imagine that there could be a cheaper way for you to use a car for three years, but of course I don't know your situation so please don't be offended if I am wrong.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you.
If you give up the full allowance then a brand new Ford Focus 1.6 estate

snip
I cannot imagine that there could be a cheaper way for you to use a
car for three years but of course I don't know your situation so please don't
be offended if I am wrong.

I'm far from offended, but I think you're wrong.

With a 1000 advance payment you're talking around 8,800 inc service/insurance for the 3 years. BUT that involves losing around 50 a week income.
Total cost 2900 pa

1000 downpayment on a 3yo would mean around 8000 budget @ 36 pw for 4 years.
4 years service & insurance, say 2000 - total spend 10k over 4 years. Private sale @ 2000. Total cost 2000 pa.
Snorkers,

interesting, and I can now see where you are coming from. At such a low mileage, your consumables costs are going to be very low, and at £8k a carefully chosen car should be fairly reliable for the 3 years as well.

I still think you should go for a Focus, or an Octavia perhaps, from the cars you've suggested (or not).

Good luck!
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! - barneybear
Despite what some others are saying I would stand by the Megan. One light bulb in 46,000 miles. Struggle to find other cars as reliable. I've also had my MiL's electric buggy in the back - easy. FiL has a old style Fabia, and the buggy goes in the back of that too, but spare room a plenty in the megan.