05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - shara
Hi,

I have a 2.0 TDCI with 94k on the clock (I bought the car in Dec 08 with 90k on the clock). The car has a full Ford Service history, starts first time every time, pulls well in all the gears and generally seems to go ok. However one thing has been playing on my mind. Reviews of the TDCI engine mention how quiet it is. I would not describe the engine on my car as quiet, in the morning it sounds like a diesel (!) and on the move even when it warm you know that you are driving a diesel. On the motorway allthough it goes well the sound can become quite intrusive (however I believe that Focus's do have an issue with tyre/wheel noise and refinement). Question is as my car generally fine is the noise anything to worry about? Is it just me being too optimistic and that I need to realise that a diesel no matter how good will always sound as it does? The other day I noticed some oil on the manifold near to where the glow plugs and injectors are. Is this connected and should I be worried about it?

Thanks.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - StanTheMan78
Check the oil level in the engine...if you have a leak you risk seizing the engine - and chattering and clatters are the biggest clue you can get, as well as the engine either overheating or reaching operating temperature very quickly.

When you say "pulls well", compared to what? the 2.0 TDCi (especially the 136 bhp version) pulls at least like a healthy 2 litre 16V petrol, and in the mid-range the acceleration compares to some 3 litre V6's out there...so make sure it is pulling as it should rather than "well".

No matter how smooth, a diesel will always be a diesel and no matter what you read, a petrol equivalent will always be smoother. What kind of moise are you talking about here? Is it clattering / knocking? Is it A rasping noise under acceleration? It could be that the previous owner removed the catalyzer and / or EGR system. Have you had the emissions checked?

The oil you found in thge manifold area most probably is just oil spilt during any previous oil-changes...is it in proximity of the oil-filler cap?

If you want further opinions try talking to Peugeot HDi, modern Mazda diesel or Jaguar X-Type owners - you are talking about the exact same engine in all three cases!
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - kithmo
I'd give it an oil & filter change, if it hasn't had one since you got it, and stick some Millers Sport4 fuel additive in it. The millers worked a treat in my Mk3 TDCi for quietening it at tickover.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - MikeTorque
Diesel engines do get louder as the miles pile up. Without knowing the history of the car it's not possible to tell how it's been treated but if it's louder than you'd expect for a near 100k miles car then it's probably had a hard life. A new 2.0 TDCi engine is quiet even when cold but like the 1.6 TDCi the noise does increase as the miles add up.

It's also worth noting that the upgraded Focus mark 2.5 had additional sound insulation & engine/gearbox mods to help reduce noise & vibration, compared with the mark 2. If your car hasn't had an engine software update done since it was new then it's worth considering as flexibility/driveability & economy have been improved.

As mentioned above, give it an oil & filter change, empty fuel tank and fill with BP Ultimate and/or Millers Sport4 fuel additive and you'll notice the difference. Also trace what's causing the oil leak, leaks of any kind are never good.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - shara
Hi Thanks for all the replies, I did a service (oil,oil filter, fuel and air filter approx 5 weeks ago) and I'll give the millers a whirl. Someone also asked by what I meanty when I said it pulls well, 4th gear 35 miles per hour foot down and its hurtles in to the distance! Fuel economy is good, stick to 70 on the motorway and it'll do 60 mpg, press on a bit it ranges from 47-55. I'll also try a few tanks of the BP stuff as well.

Thanks again.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - R2-CMax
I've got the same engine with nearly 80k on the clock, and what you've described in terms of performance, economy and noise sounds right to me (although regular focus should get better economy than C-Max due to lower weight and smaller front area). It does sound clattery on cold mornings, but disappears as it warms up. C'est la vie, it was one of the best diesel engines available in 2005.

Also check your engine cover is present and on properly, that may help supress a bit of clatter.

EGR valve getting clagged up is a known issue on engines of this vintage, but appears to have been sorted out.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - cheddar
If you want further opinions try talking to Peugeot HDi modern Mazda diesel or Jaguar
X-Type owners - you are talking about the exact same engine in all three cases!

No, the X-Type uses the Ford chain cam diesel engine as per the Mondeo Mk III, a different unit to the Focus II, Mondeoi IV, Peugeots, Volvos etc etc.
05 2.0 TDCI Engine Noise. - StanTheMan78
Sorry yes you are right cheddar my mistake :)