Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Badwolf
Evening all,

My (entirely) better half toddled along today to renew the car tax on her daughter's car. The MoT expires tomorrow, and the tax expires on Wednesday. The chap at the post office refused to accept the MoT certificate saying that the MoT had to be in in force on the first day of the new tax disc. I have never heard of this before, presuming that if the MoT is still valid when you go to tax the car then all is well.

Anyway, SWMBO tried another post office and they happily accepted the MoT and issued a new tax disc.

So, who was right?
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - andyp
The clerk at the first Post Office was right. The car will not have a MOT when the new tax disc starts and therefore is not valid to issue the new tax disc against it.
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Galaxy
Yes, can confirm the first Post Office were correct.

Had she tried to tax on-line the result would have been the same.

Edited by Galaxy on 28/09/2009 at 21:33

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Bromptonaut
The first PO was right.

From Direct.gov

You must produce an MOT test certificate that?s valid on the day the tax disc comes into force. A certificate that expires on the last day of the month eg 30 April can?t be used if the tax disc is to start on the first day of the following month eg 1 May. The certificate must be original, a photocopy is not acceptable.

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - cheddar
Its a grey area, I had always thought that the MOT had to valid at the point that the RFL was issued though the OP's scenario stretches the point. I am sure I have had a weeks MOT and a weeks RFL and renewed the RFL before getting the MOT. After all what if the MOT expired on the 1st rather than the 29th, should the PO issue RFL for a vehicle that has only 24 hours MOT?

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Bill Payer
After all what if the MOT expired on the 1st rather than the 29th should the PO issue RFL >> for a vehicle that has only 24 hours MOT?

Yes. There has to be a cut off somewhere and as long as the MOT is valid on the first day of the month then the tax can be issued.

I try to bear this mind when buying new cars and not get them registered on the 1st otherwise, once they approach 3yrs old, there is always the pressure to get them MOT'd before they can be taxed. It's a bit better now as you can tax online from the 5th, but it used to be the 15th which can make things a bit tight if you're not great at planning.

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - jbif
Its a grey area, >>

IMO, it is pure black & white.

Edited by jbif on 28/09/2009 at 22:32

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - jbif
So, who was right? >>

Check with your Gov :
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...m

Edited by jbif on 28/09/2009 at 21:33

Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Badwolf
To be honest, I'm not really bothered which post office clerk was correct! We managed to get the car taxed today which has saved us a whole load of bother. I just wanted to make sure of the correct procedure so that we don't get caught out in the future!

Cheers.

PS to jbif:

>>Check with your Gov :

They're not my Government - I didn't vote for 'em! :-)
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Bromptonaut
If you buy the disc before the old one expires the start date is, as outlined above, the first day of the new month.

If, OTOH, you use the so called grace days and wait until the new month is under way then you need an MoT valaid on the day you buy the disc.
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - Bill Payer
If you buy the disc before the old one expires the start date is as
outlined above the first day of the new month.

Yes, but you can't buy that disc unless the MOT (and insurance) will be valid on the start date too.
If OTOH you use the so called grace days and wait until the new month
is under way then you need an MoT valaid on the day you buy the
disc.

Of course.
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - martint123
Bromptonaut is correct. But the OP said "renew" so I took it to having to be valid on the 1st of the next month.
Car tax renewal - who was correct? - moonshine

Why not get your car MOT one month early and save these sort of hassles? It also buys you some time should something expensive crop up on the test.

I've had many a 13 month MOT issued over the years.