96 1.3 efi endura e ohv stalling and acceleration - stressed_em
i bought this stupid car a few weeks ago and found out almost straight away why it was for sale! i have the same problem as everyone else,

> stalling at junctions and roundabouts ect. when my clutch is in, revs drop right down and stalls and stalls with the clutch out in neutral.

> idles erratically.

> engine hesitates, jumps and splutters on acceleration.

> i got through half a tank of fuel on a 70 mile run, taking it no higher than 4000 rpm.

the car has only done 40,000 miles from new and had a service every year and its been very well looked after. looking through the cars history, i think its had this problem since 20,000 miles. this is an intermitent problem so its hard to find out exactly what it is but to try and fix it, it has had the following work done,

> new speed sensor at 20,000

> diognostics with nothing showing up

> services

> new iacv at 30,000

> another set of spark plugs last week as this idleing problem is causing excess carbon

> throttle housing removed by garage and body and valve cleaned (cant remember exactly what else he said he cleaned)

> the butterfly valve and idle adjusted last week by same garage.

i dont want to keep spending money on it until i know exactly what the problem is, but i think this is going to be very difficult if nothing is showing up on diognostics.
one person said it maybe the ecu, someone else said the wiring and the first man at the garage who checked the throttle said the valve has made a pit in the throttle body over time, so not enough air is getting through, hence the adjustment, but im still getting the problem, he said something about drilling, which i see you mentioned but i dont know which is the best course of action. would drilling fix it? or even if that is the only problem? as im also getting this acceleration problem, are they related? what is this clutch switch fix i saw on here?

i dont want to be ripped off by having to change all these parts, especially if it is just a sensor as i can change it myself, ive worked on cars before but never an engine, it a bit too much of a big job and take me a long time to check all of these possibilities myself when this would be the first engine ive worked on.

can anyone please help?
96 1.3 efi endura e ohv stalling and acceleration - stressed_em
ok, i have been driving my car around for months with this problem and now think its worse in wet weather, but still not sure.

1 thing i do know is how to stop it cutting out....... let the revs drop very slowly, i go down through the gears.

if i do forget and let the revs drop too quick or have to slow down quickly, i just jump start it if im still rolling.

sometimes, at stand still, the rev needle waves at me, going from 500 to 1000 rpm, up and down up and down, but it only sometimes dies when it does this, i put 1 but only 1 little press on the throttle to take it just above 1000 and leave it, but if i press too hard, it dies.

my car is very very tempremental but i cant find the exact problem so i have learnt to drive it like this and now i hardly ever stall or have to re start to engine
96 1.3 efi endura e ohv stalling and acceleration - jdbug
Any joy fixing this or are you still compensating for it?
I have it with the mother in laws fiesta, exactly the same model as yours. I have been able to get round it but she can't/won't and she is not the best of drivers anyway.
96 1.3 efi endura e ohv stalling and acceleration - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Firstly clean the throttle butterfly and idle speed controller. If someone has been messing around cluelessly with the throttle butterfly stop youll need to get it reset, rule of thumb is clean it then close it fully then open it up with the screw until it is barely open. Next bit is important and often overlooked, check and correct the valve clearances. Not difficult but make sure that you set the correct clearance as there are two different exhaust valve clearances. There may be a label on the rocker cover. Once this is done disconnect the battery and leave it for 10 minutes. re-connect and start her up. Let it run up to temperature checking the thermostat is doing its thing correctly but dont touch the throttle. Switch off, restart and go for a drive.
If its still not right you need to call in an expert to do some proper diagnosis.
96 1.3 efi endura e ohv stalling and acceleration - bangers
it seems from what i have found that the iacv only lasts for 10.000 miles or there abouts
im on my third one since i have owned mine you can get them off fleabay for £20 new they are on there you have to look inside the shop sites to get them. and works for another 10 thou