330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - uksant
Brand new, built to order (not a stock car), BMW OTR retail price over 35K. Dealer will accept 29K.

Is this par for the course in the current climate? Or way better or worse than what a personal buyer could expect?
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - Falkirk Bairn
Edinburgh BMW offering 318ES with £4,000 off list. £17K instead of £21K - choice of colours

1st time I have seen a local BMW dealer openly offering discounts on brand new motors - Sign of the Times?
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - Bill Payer
I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that much of the BMW dealership network is close to meltdown.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - ifithelps
On any view £6,000 off is a fair bit, and if that's the car you want, then buy it.

But the top models of any range offer the poorest value.

I'd be thinking of a late used 320d for around £20k.

That's 80 or 90 per cent of the 330d experience for about two-thirds of the money.

Your choice, obviously.

330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - madf
If it has been built to order, someone has placed the order and paid a deposit: which I suspect he has forfeited on cancellation.

If you ring another dealer and find out how much your deposit it when placing an order, you can then work out what to pay.

As I am a skinflint and love bargains I would offer £25k and be prepared to pay £27k.. subject to deposit as above.

Edited by madf on 23/09/2009 at 18:56

If it has been built to order someone has placed the order and paid a
deposit: which I suspect he has forfeited on cancellation.

This isn't built to someone else's order, it's built to mine.
I'd be thinking of a late used 320d for around £20k.
That's 80 or 90 per cent of the 330d experience for about two-thirds of the
money.

Viewing things dispassionately, yes, I see your point but when I was a kid 0-60 in 6 secs was pretty much supercar territory, and that's what the 330d coupe offers.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - cjehuk
If it was me, I'd buy it. It won't be the cheapest car you ever run, even with that discount, but it will be the one that you ultimately desire right now and anything else however close, even 95% close like the 325d, won't quite measure up so if you can afford it, buy it now and enjoy it.

You're quite right, the number of cars that can hit 60 in 6s and do 45mpg are rare indeed, you've found one and possibly the smartest looking 3-series too.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - the swiss tony
is it the car you want?

is it the price you expected to pay? (or lower)

if yes to both the above, why are you asking? ;-)
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - barneybear
I've just been offered £3900 off a new Accord without really trying, so it doesn't suprise me that big deals are to be had. Decided to walk away this time, but might be back...
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - mlj
At least one reputable broker will sell you a new accord with at least £4.5K off.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - NARU
I loved my 330d; its a great driving experience.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend it.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - idle_chatterer
I've had my 330d E91 (touring) for 6 months now and I love it, an effortlessly fast car delivering amazing performance and refinement from the 'new engine' combined with surprising economy - my manual car has given a calculated 44mpg average and can beat 50mpg on a run (trip computer is over-optimistic though).

I notice that the list price has gone up a fair bit since I ordered mine and suspect that the standard spec of some models might have been 'reduced' - this is all down to exchange rates I guess.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - volcane

just ordered an E91 330d, got about 6.5 k discount, list inc a lot of toys was almost 46k. Once in a lifetime madness!!!!

By the time you start adding 'necessary' equipment the price quickly climbs!
cjehuk, idle_chatterer - great replies, thanks - helped me make my mind up to place the order.

Glad to hear that idle_chatterer went for the manual, which I have also eventhough I think hardly any bigger-engined BMWs get sold with manuals. Just feel that autos reduce driver involvement and control.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - idle_chatterer
I can't fault your choice, I opted for manual for a host of reasons but mainly because mine is a lease car and subject to BIK tax - the lease costs at the time were virtually identical, I guess down to the auto's residuals but the BIK is at least 3% more (from memory). In fact I think I even decided I get the 335d if I opted for auto but the 330d manual is actually very close to it on performance.

I had an extended test drive over 2 days and the dealer could only provide an auto and also told me that almost no larger engined BMWs are sold as manuals, it was very nice to drive with only a small lag between pressing the accelerator and something happening so I could have lived with it. Economy was around 43mpg. However a colleague of mine has a 2 year old 330d (which may have a different auto box, the engine is certainly different) and is very critical of its 'lagginess'.

I found the gearbox a bit 'notchy' for the first 1000 miles or so but after 10,000 miles it is very smooth and quick - or maybe I've adapted. The clutch is surprisingly light considering how much torque it's handling and the engine is very tractable. It is docile and effortless to drive smoothly in heavy traffic (I go into central London occasionally) whilst fantastic on the open road - sometimes I have to rev it just for the sound it makes. I have never regretted opting for manual and a 'straw pole' of the people I know with 6 cylinder BMWs (OK so that's 4 in total) finds that 3 have manuals by choice......
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - ifithelps
....helped me make my mind up to place the order...

uksant,

330ds go like a rocket as you pointed out, so you'll enjoy burning off all those 320ds - and a lot of other exotic machinery as well.

Hope the buying process goes smoothly.

Edited by ifithelps on 24/09/2009 at 11:31

330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - LikedDrivingOnce
330ds go like a rocket as you pointed out so you'll enjoy burning off all
those 320ds - and a lot of other exotic machinery as well.

...and confirming the prejudices of those who think that BMW drivers are arrogant show-offs.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>...and confirming the prejudices of those who think that BMW drivers are arrogant show-offs.

I'm not sure what car you drive LDO, but I bet there must be some cars you could 'burn off' if you wanted to? Maybe when you just overtake said slower cars the drivers are thinking the same about you? It's all a matter of degree really.

I would think it very odd indeed if a driver of a top-end spec. sports orientated brand
didn't occasionally out accelerate lesser spec'ed cars.
I'm not sure what car you drive LDO but I bet there must be some
cars you could 'burn off' if you wanted to?

I drive a BMW 320d. Don't mind me - I just think that the term "burn off" is a bad one with all sorts of arrogant (and slightly immature) overtones to it.
I would think it very odd indeed if a driver of a top-end spec. sports
orientated brand
didn't occasionally out accelerate lesser spec'ed cars.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. When it is just blatant showing off though, it is just plain irritating.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - Lud
confirming the prejudices of those who think that BMW drivers are arrogant show-offs.

Confirming the prejudices of ridiculous ignorant half-witted bigots is neither here nor there, surely?

Did you really like driving at one time, or was it just the once?

>> confirming the prejudices of those who think that BMW drivers are arrogant show-offs.
Confirming the prejudices of ridiculous ignorant half-witted bigots is neither here nor there surely?
Did you really like driving at one time or was it just the once?

Yes, Lud, I did like driving when I was in my twenties and thirties. I have not enjoyed it for about 10 years now.

Are you calling me a "ridiculous ignorant half-witted bigot"?
Are you calling me a "ridiculous ignorant half-witted bigot"?

Certainly not LDO!

(Unless you are yourself making that generalisation about BMW drivers, but my impression was that you were distancing yourself from it).
Excellent! Then I think that we may well be on the same wavelength, deep down.

My frustration in this thread (badly expressed by me as usual), is that there is a very strong perception out there in the real world that people like me who drive BMWs are very nasty pieces of work, who act aggressively on the roads. As usual there is a small minority of villains, and for some reason BMW gets more stick than other marques.

I get fed up with relatives, friends and work mates who regale me with stories about how they have seen "one of your friends in a BMW" do something bad. I get fed up with being emailed BMW driver jokes by these people as well.

I think that I overreacted earlier in the thread, because the language seemed....I stress "seemed"...to be encouraging the kind of pushy, show-off behaviour that I get accused of - merely because of my choice of car.

It's just prejudice, and I loathe all kinds of prejudice.
I think you probably still quite like driving really. Otherwise you would have got a more white goods sort of car.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - jbif
I think you probably still quite like driving really. Otherwise you would have got a more white goods sort of car. >>

He is alright (R White), the secret lemonade drinker.

Edited by jbif on 24/09/2009 at 18:36

330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - cjehuk
LDO,

I think there is unfair prejudice against the drivers of many premium cars - Audi/BMW/Merc/Jag whatever there is often a perception of people who act aggressively behind the wheel and who drive with less care for others. I agree and think it's a case of the few tarring the many.

I have to say that I like driving a fast, powerful car because I found when I drove a 2.0TDI it was often hard to get past others in their 2.0TDIs if they decided they were going to try and "block" the overtake. Maybe that's because they didn't like being overtaken when doing 40 in a 60 limit when it's safe to do so... I don't know, but having more power to be able to execute such a move safely is valuable to me.
330d- List 35K, Dealer accepts 29K -bite hand off? - mlj
LDO:So glad I'm not alone! Now in my early fifties and driving seems more and more a chore than a pleasure. Indeed, I seem to find myself taking pleasure (perhaps satisfaction is a better word) from driving with economy in mind.
However, as I drive a Berlingo, eyeballing the opposition at traffic lights is tinged with despair. What happened to Ladas? Those I could burn off!