Supagard (TM) - OAP
Has any reader got experience of 'Supagard' paint sealant?

I am thinking of having my seven year old Golf (metallic) treated with same so as to give it a new lease of life appearancewise. Apparently the treatment carries a three year guarantee and eliminates waxing and polishing.

I did try the Autoglym diy proceedure but somehow got it very wrong and gave up after an expensive trial.

Also...any thoughts about Supagard's 'Fabricgard'? (Perhaps a little belated for that treatment?!)

Supagard (TM) - CMark {P}
Dear OAP,
how much have you been quoted for the paint treatment?
CMark
Supagard (TM) - Ben79
I had a similar treatment on a new Saxo, it made washing easier as the car has some coating, but you cannot use detergent based shampoos or pressure washers, instead you have to use special shampoo which cost me £1 per wash.

Now I have used Teflon based shampoo made by Simoniz (available at Halfords) and the Teflon polish from the same range. It is much cheaper.

You can get some DIY interior protector in an aerosol, but I haven't used it.

Ben
Supagard (TM) - DoddMan
Sorry for taking this back on topic, but does anybody have any advice on looking after the Supagard finish? I had it put on my Fiesta when I bought it to try to keep the paint finish good. I was given the Aftercare pack; however the instructions in the pack really aren't much cop.

Are you really meant to use the shampoo in the aftercare pack every time you wash the car? Or can you just use water or normal shampoo most of the time? How often are you meant to use the wax or is this just to deal with major blemishes or bird 'lime'?
Supagard (TM) - OAP
The best advice I can give you, DoddMan, is to visit the site: www.supagard.co.uk and then click on the heading identified as 'Area Manager'...from the map which follows you can select the person for your part of the UK and send him your queries. I found them to be very helpful even though I settled for Autoglym products!!

As regards the problem of an ideal day for the full Autoglym proceedure...they are indeed few and far between. The solution could be to find a double garage vacated for the day. Believe it or not, I have been known to make use of a multi-storey car park in the good old days when I used Mer!!

Supagard (TM) - Blue {P}
What a cool idea!

I remember when I first tried polishing my first Fiesta and it rained just after I finished covering the entire car with polish. As you can imagine, the SRP was not easy to tae off then. I had to put the car in the garage and leave it for hours to dry :(
Supagard (TM) - madf
Yes had that on a second hand Audi A4. Results excellent after 3 years. (But then I try to look after cars so maybe it's me:-)

Uses SRP for the first time 2 weeks ago. Washed car with Halfords wax wash, dried it off. Then applied it in dry garage after all water had dried. Easy. Lovely finish. (9 year old Peugeot 106 with metallic silver). But again I had cleaned off all tar with white spirit first and I wash after hosing car first and with no engrained dirt left.

I find using a wax additive to weekly/monthly wash helps keep paintwork that much cleaner and hosing down first makes dirt removal much easier.

If doing a car that had been neglected, I would use T Cut or similar first after white spirit - did that on son's (white) 1993 Fiesta after cleaning, treating and repainting (rusty) sills and wheelarches. Result: not 100% perfect but looked very presentable...

Trying to wax a car that is damp/not clean or in sun is a complete waste of time.. like trying to paint on top of dirt.

We have lots of horses and manure on local roads plus salt in winter plus agricultural mud/straw etc so regular hosing/washing is essential if car bodywork is to be preserved. Not to mention the effects of pigeons! And resin drops from trees. I only wax 2x per year and only wash when car is dirty.. so weekly effort is 40 mins at most.

Regular winter washing and hosing down wheelarches is much easier on cold days with waterproof gloves (Halfords do a good set.. mine have lasted 4 years so far..)

My view is that regular cleaning and occasional waxing as above is all that is needed.. special treatments are expensive and only really work if car is not neglected.. in which case why spend loads of £s when a little regular work will do better.. but then I was brought up in Scotland...:-)

Supagard (TM) - Godfrey H {P}
Strange I've been using SRP for years and always found it easy to use with good results for a small amount of effort. Must be due to my wash regime. I use a power washer to remove as much dirt as possible before hand washing with Autoglym shampoo. I then rinse off with the power washer before drying with some big towels I bought for car use only. I only wash the car when it needs it, but I do make an effort to power wash off salt during the winter.
Supagard (TM) - Blue {P}
I've realised that for winter use, when I don't want to fart about with my jetwash, the one at the local petrol station is mega powerful and 50p will buy you two minutes on it. More than enough to blast the underside of the car and wheelarches.

It's quite good as far as these things go, you pay 25p a minute and then choose which parts of the machine you want. Off the top of my head I think the options include:

Jet Hose
Wheel and tyre cleaner
Hot shampoo
Hot wax
Gloss finish
Spot free finish.

You buy your time at 25p a minute and then just push the buttons as you're going for which bits you want to use.

The problem is it still has one of those dirty, nasty brushes on it. I may try a proper wash and wax using it out on my courtesy car when I go to fill it up, I don't want to risk it on my nice paint! :) If it does a good job then maybe I'll consider using it...
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - OAP
Lee H...I have added the above replies to today's list as they may help with your enquiry.
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - Armitage Shanks{P}
1. Anybody got any comments on MER polish, vis a vis the performance of autoglym products, please?

2. The junk TV sales shows were pushing some American product, in the course of the advert they claimed that beading was bad and the drops either dried and left little circular marks on the paintwork or, in bright sunlight, they acted like small lenses and burnt your paint. Their product made the water sheet off the surface and left no water on it at all.
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - zedzedeleven
While we are on the subject, anyone tried Wheelwax ? advertised in last saturday`s telegraph but at twenty quid a tin i would like a recommendation or two before splashing out. i was thinking of using it on the bike wheels , although they are laquered pitting still seems to occur. The back wheel is especially vunerable probably with the need to constantly wipe off chainwax , thus removing the polish as well .
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - Dynamic Dave
Anybody got any comments on MER polish

Yep, I've been using it for the last 4 years now. Use it 2 to 3 times a year on both Dad's car, my car and motorbike. I've just finished the 1000ml bottle I bought at the motor show 4 years ago. Only reason I bought it was because the MER stand was giving huge discounts on the stuff, whereas Autoglym were still charging motorist centre/Halford prices. I couldn't haggle a deal with the Autoglym salesman. Talking of which, I have recently bought another 1000ml bottle of MER for £7.50 as the local motorist shop was closing and most items were ½ price.
Goes on easy - comes off easy and gives long lasting protection. Does exactly what it says on the bottle.
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - Blue {P}
Used that on my nana's car, to be honest I prefer my Autoglym, although I think I may give it another chance when I'm next doing her car and see how it goes...
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - malcolm
I only use the Autoglym Extra Shine on its own- easy to apply liquid, easy to remove, non abrasive, and gives great results which last for months. What more could you want.
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym and Mer - OAP
Armitage-Shanks...a little background info' following your question about Mer.

Several years ago I attended a vintage/classic car rally. I was very envious of the condition of the bodywork of all of the vehicles. I asked numerous owners which polish they used and about 80% said "Mer". I had not heard of Mer before but there was a fellow demonstrating same by pouring lighter fuel on to a car bonnet, setting it alight, extinguishing the flames and then bringing the surface back to original condition with Mer! I bought a blue canfull there and then and used it successfully for several years.

More recently, I purchased a copy of Autoglym's video 'How To Keep Your Car In Showroom Condition'. If you have a fiver to spare it is worthwhile for the enthusiast although I think they should include some money off vouchers. I decided to have a go with their products and as stated in an earlier post, am now very satisfied with the end result after an initial hiccup.
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - J Bonington Jagworth
"..acted like small lenses and burnt your paint"

So how does paint in contact with water get burnt?
Supagard (TM) and Autoglym - Dynamic Dave
"..acted like small lenses and burnt your paint"
So how does paint in contact with water get burnt?

They "say" that the bubble of water left on the painted surface acts like a magnifying glass when the sun comes out and strikes it. It focus's the suns rays and thus burns into the paint.