Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My friends have just bought a new BMW 325 Touring,actually 3 litre, with automatic gearbox.
I was amazed to find out that their shiny- owned from new- 323 Touring was exchanged under the scrappage deal.Was admittedly ~14 years old, and pretty high mileage, but fully dealer serviced. The immaculate paintwork had that coating stuff on it.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 21/09/2009 at 19:27

Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - jbif
just bought ...

I was amazed to find out that their shiny- owned from new- 323 Touring was exchanged under the scrappage ... >>

You amazed!
So would be the Government!
Scrappage cars cannot be sold on for re-use on the road.

Edited by jbif on 21/09/2009 at 19:41

Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Dynamic Dave
Scrappage cars cannot be sold on for re-use on the road.

I had to read Glaikit's post twice as I thought the same thing.

However it looks like his friend traded in a 14 yr old 323 for a new 325.

I imagine from the subject header that as the 14 yr old car still looked in good condition, it was a waste to have to scrap it.
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Err yes. I do not understand the puzzlement. A perfectly good looking 14 year old car in excellent condition was scrapped, as the deal was financially better.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 21/09/2009 at 21:09

Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - jbif
Err yes. I do not understand the puzzlement. ... >>

Sorry, but I am not known for my intelligence! I had to re-read it, oh sooooo s-l-o-w-l-y, twice, after DD pointed out my error, to make sense of what was written.
It then dawned on me that you were amazed that your friend had scrapped a 14 year old high mileage 323 which still had shiny paintwork in exchange for a brand new latest design model 325 model (probably equipped with all kinds of useless goodies such as i-drive, esp, tyre pressure monitoring, etc. ;-0 )

Edited by jbif on 21/09/2009 at 21:20

Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Dave_TD
I'm currently in a moderate state of liquid-induced relaxation and I got GWS's point straight away ;-)

The classic car fraternity, and several posters on HJ including myself, express some indignation at the idea of perfectly serviceable cars being prematurely destroyed in order to qualify for an arbitrary financial incentive. There is a good advert on sniffpetrol which makes this point. (Link not included due to most of the other content on that site being unsuitable for a family audience.)
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - NowWheels
I share this sense of bewilderment at the waste involved in scrapping serviceable machinery.
(Link not included due to most of the other content on that site being
unsuitable for a family audience.)

Hope a direct link to the image is okay, since it won't show any of the rest of the stuff there: www.sniffpetrol.com/wp-content/uploads/spad_scrapp...g

(Please delete post if I go that wrong)

{we've previously allowed sniffpetrol as long as the link isn't clickable, which I've done to the one you've posted}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/09/2009 at 11:10

Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Bill Payer
One of the stated aims of the scrappage scheme is to replace old, more polluting cars with new, less polluting cars. So to many people this deal is what the scheme is all about.
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - davecuk
One of the stated aims of the scrappage scheme is to replace old more polluting
cars with new less polluting cars. So to many people this deal is what the
scheme is all about.

Yeah, I wonder who came up with that load of bull....the manufacturers heavy influence in the government no doubt. it feels like the manufacturers have just about come up with cars that time expire at 8 years, because they are more expensive to repair than they are worth.....it's so wasteful!
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Gotanoldhondar

Yes, but if everybody kept their car for twenty years, goodbye industry.....its business.
if everybody kept their car for twenty years goodbye industry

No, just slimmer industry. Those not needed to make new cars to feed into the crusher could fix the potholes (or whatever).
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - madf
Well as the Government has committed us to an 80% cut in CO2 emissions by 2050, cars will either be doing 150mpg or we will be buying 70% fewer and driving them for 30 years - or both.

Of course that implication has been downplayed....
Scrapping a BMW- A Waste? - Gotanoldhondar

Nowheels,that would be wonderful in an ideal world,but manufacturers need to make profit,the
car will be around for longer than most imagine.
wade, I didn't say the car was going to disappear any time soon ... just that we don't need to stick with the insanity of crushing good cars at only 8 years old