Car Maintenance - Pootle
Hi All,

Just wondered if there are such things as evening car maintenance courses anymore? I'm near Notts and Derby, but can't find anything suitable nearby. I'm looking for a basic course so I can do oil & filter changes, etc., etc and get a good idea of what's going on under the bonnet.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Pootle
Car Maintenance - bell boy
have you considered a haynes manual as a read and then try something like an oil and filter
its where i started
Car Maintenance - SpamCan61 {P}
Although it's hardly a structured training course there's quite a lot of vaguely useful stuff on YouTube if you search 'car maintenance'
Car Maintenance - Number_Cruncher
I can't vouch for it being any good, but,

www.derby-college.ac.uk/course-search?do=1&dcl_c=4...=
Car Maintenance - Wurzel83
Iv personally gained what knowledge I do have from Haynes, google, youtube, garage advice, helping friends and trial and error. If I had to start from square one again then I would probably do an evening classes as there are other benefits such as the certificates, social life, practical demonstrations and something to do during dark evenings.
Car Maintenance - Lud
Hands on sooner rather than later, but be prudent and cautious. A lot of routine servicing consists of simple operaations involving nothing more difficult than screwing and unscrewing things, throwing the old ones away and installing new ones. But you have to do it properly or there's no point in trying.

Knowledge comes from all directions.

An experienced friend is beyond price.
Car Maintenance - davecuk
I second the comment about and experienced friend. A course is great if you can find one and is well recommended. Beyond that there's nothing like the tips and tricks you can be shown by more experienced people (things you won't find in any book). Plus being able to call on them for advice when you are doing your own maintenance is handy.

The other skill that simply takes time to develop is the "feel" e.g. not stripping nuts, screws, being gentle or skillful....rather than brutal. Ways of easing something off that's frozen on. You also need the advice of someone knowledgeable in building up a basic tool kit.....knowing where and what to use to jack up a car (without damaging the sills or crushing the seam) and how/where and when to use axle stands.

The one most important thing about DIY car maintenance that I cannot stress enough is, your personal safety when working on the car and the safety for others once you have completed your work.

Edited by davecuk on 19/09/2009 at 01:29

Car Maintenance - ifithelps
Offer your services as a 'Saturday boy' to an independent garage.

Car Maintenance - Hamsafar
www.castlecollege.ac.uk do them in Nottingham.
Adult education (evening courses/day release) are a disaster these days due to this governments continual messing about, interfering and cutbacks, especially in the last 2 years, they have cut all subsidies, so you have to pay the full price which means fewer people go on them and so they became unviable and a lot of them were discontinued.

Most of these courses are now done in the private sector by the vehicle manufacturers for new employees on apprenticeships.

Carter & Carter based in Ruddington EMTEC, Notts used to have somewhat of a monopoly on this until Mr Carter's helicopter crashed and killed him. He was the driving force behind the business which then went bust and was bought by South Nottingham College. There are fabulous facilities there, but it is a closed shop as far as I know.

Edited by Hamsafar on 19/09/2009 at 09:23

Car Maintenance - perro
You won't go far wrong with this ~ www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/
It got me started in fiddling about on cars - which eventually led to a career.
Car Maintenance - L'escargot
The other skill that simply takes time to develop is the "feel" e.g. not stripping
nuts screws being gentle or skillful....rather than brutal.

Virtually all nuts, bolts and screws on a car have a specified tightening torque and the appropriate torque-setting tool should be used to achieve this.
Car Maintenance - madf
Worth a read:
www.samarins.com/maintenance/simple.html

Lots of other free guides available on internet.

Basic car maintenance Guide... brings up a lot
Car Maintenance - Harleyman
>> The other skill that simply takes time to develop is the "feel" eg not stripping nuts or screws

the appropriate torque-setting tool should be used to achieve this.

True, l'escargot, but what I think Dave c's getting at is when you're dismantling something often in a confined space, and knowing just how much "grunt" to apply to a spanner in those circumstances (and indeed using the right one on the first place) is indeed something that is only acquired through practice; not only can it save you money but often skinned knuckles as well!