Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - BackOfTheNet
Thinking about changing the car (again) and I've got a preference for diesel (based on driving characteristics and economy) but seriously concerned about DMF problems that seem common place.

Does anyone know of any modern, mainstream diesels (Ford, Vauxhall etc) that don't have a DMF fitted? For instance, I heard the Ford 1.8 TDCi doesn't have one. Anyone know if that's true?

Or should I just go for petrol? Consensus of opinion seems to be that it's a much safer bet.

(To give you some context, I've got a max budget of 7k and don't really want anything much over 5 years old / 50k mileage. Cost of maintenance is also an issue)

Thanks everyone!

*** PS. Apologies if this specific question has been covered before - I searched but couldn't find anything!
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - LikedDrivingOnce
I can't answer the DMF question, but there are swarms of decent Mondeos for sale on Autotrader for your budget. You will get a two year old car with under 50k miles and a decent spec.

Or if you fancy a Focus, you could get a nice 2-3 year old car with 20k miles on the clock.

Best of luck with your search.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - Pugugly
Some VAG diesels don't have them, easily de-coded from the label in the boot (spare wheel well) and the sticker inside the manual. PDI engines.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - TheOilBurner
To OP: did you mean DMF or DPF? DMF = Dual mass flywheel (fragile contraption on clutch to smooth vibration and application of engine torque) and DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter (poor solution to EU emissions regulations).

These days most petrols have a DMF fitted too. Easy to avoid, just buy a car with an autobox!

Almost all diesels have DPF by now. Vectras from late 2004 with the 1.9 CDTI engine didn't have a DPF on manual hatchbacks initially, and were still somehow Euro IV compliant....

As PU says, some VAG PD don't have DPF either.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - jc2
The latest diesel Fiestas do not have DMF and neither do most of the gasoline Fords.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - OldSkoOL
2 options really

Automatics don't have DMF's but don't confused DSG as being automatic. They do have DMF's being an "automated manual".

And i remember seeing that the latest ford models i'm not entirely sure which, come without DMF and are electronically controlled.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - davecuk
DMF Seems to be one of the most stupid things any mechanical engineer could think of inventing....in fact they seemed to have managed a form of "cush drive" for cars that has an inherently more unreliable design than anything used on Motorcycles.

Call me a cynic, but it seems another invention designed to increase the cost of motoring and make cars more of a throwaway item due to repair costs being more than the car is worth once they are 7 years old..
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - the swiss tony
Call me a cynic but it seems another invention designed to increase the cost of
motoring and make cars more of a throwaway item due to repair costs being more
than the car is worth once they are 7 years old..

Hammer, nail, head, hit.

as I have said before, very soon you wont see over 10 year old cars on the road... even though they are built 'better' than in the old days... (bursts into fits of laughter)
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - DP
>>in fact they seemed to have managed a form of "cush drive" for cars
that has an inherently more unreliable design than anything used on Motorcycles.

The other thing is that a set of cush drive rubbers costs about a tenner and can be fitted by anyone half competent in about half an hour - so either an easy DIY job, or probably £50 all in for a pro to do the job. Apart from the parts costs (£250+), just getting to the DMF on most modern cars (plus reassembly) is best part of a day's labour.

My brother in law's 28,000 mile BMW 320d has just suffered a near total transmission failure. A notchy gearbox slowly developed into one which often refused to select gears when cold, and this was joined at the same time by an intermittent clutch judder. New gearbox, clutch and DMF is being fitted, thankfully all under BMW Approved Used's warranty scheme.

I would have been appalled at such a premature failure on even a cheap car 10 years ago.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - madf

I would have been appalled at such a premature failure on even a cheap car 10 years

30 years ago it was common with Minis fitted with the original rubber couplings..

Ooops that was 50 years ago..

(Yes I was stranded at 11pm with a 1961 Mini when a coupling went: changed to solid next day...)

I've never had problems with a DMF and only ever one clutch failure in 45 years and that was a Rover 800 - fairly typical of the breed.

Is it luck or driving styles? I see some drivers who have zero mechanical sympathy now cars are so reliable
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - BackOfTheNet
** Thanks to everyone who has posted against my question - would have replied earlier but had "technical issues"... some would say ID Ten T issues ;-P

Just out of interest, does anyone know the answer to the Ford 1.8 TDCi question? A 2007 Focus if it makes a difference...

PS. HJ's techie team are fab (or maybe HJ is a tech geek!) - I emailed them to report to report BR issues and they got back to me pretty darn quick!
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - Ravenger
I've got an 06 Focus C-Max with a 1.8TDCi engine, and that definitely has a dual mass flywheel. I would have thought the standard Focus would have one too - it's exactly the same engine.

Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - injection doc
I purchased freelander 2 2.2d auto without DPMF, there was a choice, of with or without & possibly cheaper road tax with but it was a no brainer really. Proud to be without a DPMF at least it one less headache. The DPMF was an optional extra at EXTRA cost so how many times do they want you to pay for going greener! ?
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - Brian Tryzers
With the Freelander, it's more to do with the green credentials of the recovery truck.
};---)
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - injection doc
Had totally trouble free motoring for the last 18 months & been back to the dealer for service only & no extra's. vast improvement to Freelander 1 now its mostly PSA & ford based. I have two friend with them who have also had trouble free motoring & one with an early freelander 2 that had a recall for a wiring connector on a heater. lets just say i won't mention how many visits my neighbours new Prestige car " M" makes to the dealer! mostly on a truck when it won't start & its imobilized yet again & the windows keep doing there own thing. He hates it.
In fact he's quite embarrased after all the jokes he cracked about the Freelander
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - diddy1234
Not 100% sure but I think a Kia Rio does not have a DPF filter.

Now I have suggested it, I am probably in for a bit of flak now ! he he
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - rtj70
The question is about DMF's not DPF's. DMF is dual mass flywheel.
Are there any modern diesels without a DMF? - diddy1234
opps I stand corrected. Just shows what tired eyes can do. sorry