Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - henry k
.....was given a £370 fine and six points on his licence by Calderdale magistrates.

He was also ordered to pay £500 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8259800.stm

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Rattle
Seems like he spent more time looking at his sat nav than he did the road.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - alfatrike
pratt deserved it. the fine and points are a bit OTT. i wouldn't employ him, how did he manage to find his interview? did he get a lift to court?
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Hamsafar
I suspect some sort of psychological problem, where they yearn to be a victim. Like the man in the autonomous BMW or possessed Citroen.

Edited by Hamsafar on 16/09/2009 at 20:39

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Bagpuss
No real sympathy. On one occasion recently not only did the Navigation System in my BMW try to send me down a footpath, but the Navigon portable I always have with me concurred, and I still managed to resist the temptation.

I'm still a bit surprised that you can get such an astronomical fine and 6 points on your licence for driving across a field though.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - alfatrike
they fined him as the fire brigade had to drag his car back from the edge of the cliff, didn't they?
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - CGNorwich
I think its the voices they use on these things. My Garmin lady is well intimidating. Almost frightened to disregard her commands to "take the the third exit", especially after years of vague indecision by her predecessor:-)
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - rtj70
He should have had his licence taken away:

news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2009/...g

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Cliff Pope
I too don't understand what his precise offence was. He drove across somebody's field, along a (public?) footpath. OK, it's presumably an offence to take a motor vehicle along a footpath.
I could understand that he might reasonably be billed by the fire brigade, and police possibly, for their recovery costs.

But if he drove carefully along the path, didn't cause an accident, didn't cause any damage to public property, where is the lack of care and attention?

The fact he drove down that path at all (with or without a sat nav) shows he was not paying attention to his surroundings. How badly does he drive on roads?
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - sierraman
I suspect he got hit harder because he pleaded not guilty,too stupid to realise he would do better by admitting to being stupid,so often the case.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - maz64
The fact he drove down that path at all

...plus ending up 'teetering on a cliff edge' - you'd think it would be hard not to see that coming.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Cliff Pope
The fact he drove down that path at all (with or without a sat nav)
shows he was not paying attention to his surroundings. How badly does he drive on
roads?

That's my point. he wasn't driving on a road. Does the offence of driving without due care and attention apply anywhere, even a path or field?

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - maz64
Does the offence of driving without
due care and attention apply anywhere even a path or field?

'path' = 'pavement' (sort of)?
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - dieselfitter
"Jones, who works as a driver, said he trusted his sat-nav system ..."

Says it all, really. It doesn't take most of us long to realise you can't!
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - madf
He sounds a complete idiot as he is quoted as saying that satnavs should have a warning that they may give wrong directions!

Please Your honour I thought driving along a path in a ploughed field was normal....

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Lud
The guy is a professional delivery driver of expensive cars. He caused an expensive recovery problem to the local authorities.

Without knowing the precise circumstances it's hard to say, but looks to me like a drink episode perhaps covered up by not reporting it until the next day. If the court suspected anything of the sort that would explain its apparent severity.

This may be pure fantasy. Just hard to understand how it could have happened otherwise.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Nsar
More reason to consider the presence of that tell-tale little blue screen as a warning that you are aprroaching a driver lacking judgement and awareness.

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Pugugly
Funny you should say that - I was riding home this afternoon, well belting along actually and considering the amount of concentration required to stay alive at that speed - a little bit of my mind was occupied by Sat Nav (disconnected for this trip as er... I knew where I was going) - a straw, unscientific poll from my perch showed at least one in three cars had the "screen" somewhere on their windscreen. All that I saw were live and most of the traffic was clearly local - local plates, local dealers so what's going on ? Are they all hypnotised by it ???? So where are there tiny minds ??? Focused on what ? the road ? or that fascinating arrow and minute numbers ? WHAT ABOUT ME - WHERE DID I FIGURE ???

In fairness across 80 miles of road all I saw today was very good driving standards and lane discipline...
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - LikedDrivingOnce
I mostly put my SatNav on, because it has an invaluable feature which prevents me getting points on my licence - it connects to my mobile phone and enables me to use it as a hands-free device. I used to wear a bluetooth earpiece, but it was uncomfortable, and I looked like a cliche (BM driver, sunglasses, earpiece).

(The SatNav also warns me of speed cameras when my mind is wandering).
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - drbe
I normally have my built in satnav on, because if I have the radio on, then the satnav is on.

Plus even if 'I know where I am going' the nice lady tells me about traffic jams and suggests that 'perhaps I would like an alternative route to drbe Towers'.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Pugugly
Oh you're right - sorry never thought of that. Since I dumped the Beemer I've not use it for anything other than route finding. Reminds me I need to update mine. Not been out for a good while.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - pda
''Jones, a diabetic, told the court he had only seven miles of diesel remaining, and no insulin, or mobile phone battery remaining.''

A diabetic with no insulin, 7 miles of deisel and a flat phone battery?

The man's an idiot.

Pat

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - ifithelps
...The man's an idiot....

And he pleaded not guilty, which, given the evidence, makes him stupid as well.

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Hamsafar
Does the offence of driving without
due care and attention apply anywhere even a path or field?

Yes, unless on enclosed private land. I assume this was a public footpath or one which the public had access to.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Fullchat
Definition of a 'Road' includes 'Bridleways'
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Dave_TD
what's going on ? Are they all hypnotised by it ???? So where are there tiny minds ??? Focused on what ? the road ? or that fascinating arrow and minute numbers ?

PU - I heard once of a young lad who failed to turn up to work one morning, 6 months after he'd started his employment there. His excuse was that his car had suffered a break-in the previous night and his sat-nav had been stolen. Without it he didn't know which way to drive to work...

Dave TD
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - DP
More reason to consider the presence of that tell-tale little blue screen as a warning
that you are aprroaching a driver lacking judgement and awareness

I do not dispute this guy's unbelievable stupidity, and I know there are others like him, but that doesn't stop sat nav being a thoroughly useful tool which the majority of people can use sensibly, and which, the odd howler apart, saves time, fuel and money.

It's not the technology that's the problem here, but the user. That and a general creep away from the principles of common sense and personal responsibility over the past few years.

Cheers
DP
Presence of a sat nav is obviously not conclusive proof in itself that the driver in front is an eejit, but when coupled with other signs of dozy behaviour, it's definitely suggestive of someone of whom you need to be extra careful.

The closer the sat nav to the centre of the windscreen, the bigger the risk - extra points for presence of sat nav in some godawful commuter car like an ageing Corsa or Clio.

In a way, I'm grateful they exist, a bit like "little monkey on board" signs in the back window. Extra 10m cordon sanitaire round them too.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - NowWheels
Nsar, sounds like putting my satnav in the middle and getting one of the stickers is a good way of getting more space on the road.
Go the whole hog, pop some L plates on as well and in busy traffic do something mildly erratic and your journey will be free of fear of cars coming too close.

Happy to help!

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - bananastand
I have been a passenger in a car, on the back seat, when the otherwise intelligent driver stopped dead on a dual carriageway at night (no hard shoulder) while he waited for a signal on the tomtom. EVEN THOUGH we all knew exactly where to go.

I have a brand new tomtom and when I'm looking for a hotel, by sod's law it's the only one the machine hasn't heard of, even though it might have been there since the reign of Queen Anne. Look for a restaurant and you just get a list of every mcdonalds in a radius of 100 miles. AND, it still tells me to go across the roughest farm tracks imaginable.

But I haven't said owt because it was a present off my lovely wife.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - William Stevenson
You're right. It is pure fantasy. Is there any hint anywhere that the unexplained driving along a steeply downhill footpath incident actually occurred the night before the reported late morning? I think lying about the time of such an incident would be some sort of offence.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/09/2009 at 11:17

Better stiil! rtj70 is now deleting posts he doesn't like so fast that I have to photograph them to prove they were there at all. Get a grip, chaps!
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - ifithelps
The deleted posts were a bit off topic, but innocuous, and I can't see where they broke the forum rules.

I editing out the reference to the other post which I thought was unnecessary here. Without that part of the post all of the replies made no sense so were hidden.

William Stevenson, if you have a problem then email the mods.
8< Snip - what part of "email us" are you finding so hard to understand?

DD. BR Moderator.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/09/2009 at 14:46

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Westpig
{removed the quoted message, but left the reply intact}

William,

The Mods on this site do an excellent job in keeping this site civilised. There are many other forums where the banter is far from light hearted and at times completely rude and unnecessary. I'm glad there are things edited now and again for that reason...and 'yes' that has happened to me on the odd occasion. When you think they do this in their own free time, we should be thanking them, not criticising them.

p.s. I have no connection in any way shape or form with this site or any Mod

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/09/2009 at 14:53

Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - henry k
Westpig
I totally agree with your comments.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - Lud
It can sting a bit when one is censored, as I have been quite a few times. But the moderators have their reasons. One may not always think they are good reasons, but they usually are.

In any case they are in (virtual) authority in this (virtual) place. They are seldom heavy-handed. They run a tight ship, but not unbearably tight.
Sat Nav blunder - a fat fine & points - redviper
I agree with the above, I have had a post removed but looking back it was correct that it was removed, and i apologise for the remarks that i made and wont do it again

I agree that the mods do a excellent job, it keeps this site enjoyable for all i love this forum - its the best one that i have come accross I cant contribute all the time but I enjoy it when i do.

Back on Topic

Ive said before that st navs have to be used as a aid - not a whole tool if they are used as a aid i find them fantastic for navigating around citys that ive no experience of
however for people that just stop in a dual carrigway (as mentioned above) becasue the st nav has no signal that that is just silly, and dangerous.