Paperwork for buying a used car - SteelSpark
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a used Ford Mondeo from a franchised dealer. I am supposed to be going to the dealership tomorrow to fill in any paperwork and to pay (I am paying cash, no financing) and collect the car. The only issue is that they have told me that there will be a delay of several hours from me signing the paperwork (including the sales invoice/contract) until I can pay and take the car away. They said that once signed the paperwork has to be sent over to their administration office.

On this thread (I created this current thread because the one below is a bit of a long read about other issues before this specific question crops up):

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=78...3

NowWheels has advised me that this is a long time for the paperwork to be processed.

I had expected that I would be able to check the car, sign and hand over the money and then take the car, all in one go, rather than there being a delay when the car is out of my hands for several hours. Of course I can check the car before handing over the money, just in case it has been damaged in those few hours, but I will still have signed the contract for it. It is also a pain because it will take me over an hour to get to the dealer and back in the morning and then an hour later on in the day when I pick it up.

I just wondered if anybody else had any experiences they could share in terms of how long this process should take. Is the dealer exposed to any risk by letting me take the car away if I have just signed and paid, or is this just bureaucracy?

One other thing with regards to paperwork, I think I need to make sure that I get the following:

* V5 slip (I think they mail off one half and give you the other)
* Warranty details
* Service history
* Manual

Is that right and is there anything I have missed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first car and I have no idea how things work. Thanks also to those of you who have helped me so far it has been very valuable.

Paperwork for buying a used car - Marc
When I've bought nearly new cars from a main dealer this is what happens :

I usually pay a deposit by chip and pin credit card of about £250 and get a receipt. Also, on the day the deal is agreed a New/Used Vehicle Order Form is also filled out detailing the car, buyer ie me, agreed accessories/work, deposit paid as well as details of p/x vehicle if applicable.

Before leaving I agree a pickup date with the dealer.

On pickup date, I again look the car over making sure agreed work has been carried out eg valet, mudflaps etc. If all is good I pay the balance by chip and pin debit card.

Dealer will then fill out the V5, give me my slip to keep, the keys and the tax disc.

If the car is Network Q or Ford Direct you will have warranty booklets to fill in as well.

Job done.

When you agreed to buy the car you should have viewed the V5, checked that the complete book pack was present ie owners guide, audio book, service booklet etc. You should have also checked that the service book was stamped up to date and that a service isn't imminently due - if so you should have got it thrown in as part of the deal. Also make sure you have all keys - usually two or three these days.

Sounds like they never filled in the order form on the day the deal was agreed. If the timing is an inconvenience to you see if they can 'fastrack' it or whatever.

Edited by Marc on 15/09/2009 at 21:50

Paperwork for buying a used car - Marc
Make sure that your Audio Booklet includes the little attached card with the radio code on it. You will need this if the battery is ever disconnected.

And if the car has alloys make sure you get the locking wheelnut key.

Edited by Marc on 15/09/2009 at 22:02

Paperwork for buying a used car - martint123
If the car has normal and "master" keys then make sure you get them all - check the handbook about keys before leaving.
Paperwork for buying a used car - SpamCan61 {P}
SQ
Is that right and is there anything I have missed.

A written receipt for the money you've paid out - a V5 is not proof of ownership.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/09/2009 at 01:04