96 1.8 TDi Starting problems - Ritz-dog
Hi all, got an annoying issue with my beloved work-horse
It's approaching 140k so is no spring chicken but runs as smooth as the day i bought it
In a nutshell the problem is starting it:
if I try to restart it after being let for say less than 4 minutes the engine turns over but it doesn't start (to describe it better if it were a petrol i'd say it's not firing)
to get it to start i manually pump the fuel through using the manual pump thing
lock the car
wait for the immobiliser light to go red again
then unlock, input the code and try again
99% of the time this sorts it
PRoblem is it drives me round the bend, especially if i'm filling up with diesel, i ahve to go through this on the forcourt!! :-(
I'm not sure if it's the immobiliser or i've been told maybe the "lift pump" may not be pumping the fuel to the engine properly and all sorts of stuff and i don't know which one is the best to try troubleshootin first (or how to do it). Is it easy yo bypass the immobiliser to eliminate that?
If the lift pump is the issue why does it work fine when the car is left for over 5 minutes?
Engine temp doesn't seem to be a factor either as i ran it to gatwick airport last week and the same thing happened as i filled up when i got there

ANy ideas greatfully received and appreciated
I luv this car, it's done me proud and i keep it serviced and even use the over-priced super-dooper diesel from that garage with the emblem you may find on the beach ;)
Glow plug all tested fine
96 1.8 TDi Starting problems - sarka1230
Hi I take it you have the key pad type immobiliser by the gear stick , if so these can play up if you have always used the same code as the buttons wear ,you can bypass it easily , you must first start the car and leave it running then pop out the keypad and just unplug the connector ,the car will then start with out having to key in the number, BUT THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING WHEN YOU DISSCONECT, i;ve done this on many peugeot and citreons with the same system and no problems, not sure this is your problem though , does sound fuelrelated have you changed diesel fillter lately? steve
96 1.8 TDi Starting problems - gouger
this engine is very sensitive to air cleaners too.Every 18k
SOLVED!!!!!!! on the off chance i connected a battery booster to it and it started on the button every time.
£40 new battery later and i'm no longer afraid to fill up during busy periods.
I've been told that the engine must not have been spinning fast enough on the 2nd and 3rd attempts so the wait was necessary for it to build up charge
Thanks for your suggestions :-)