Road noise causes high blood pressure - maz64
BBC item: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8247217.stm

NO IT DOESN'T !!
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...6

:-)

(ok they say there's a link, not that it causes it)

People living near noisy roads are at greater risk of developing high blood pressure, a Swedish study suggests.

A Lund University team found risk rose above an average daily exposure of 60 decibels, which accounts for about one in four people in western Europe.

They said it was likely noise caused stress - and maybe sleep disruption - leading to blood pressure problems.

Edited by Focus {P} on 10/09/2009 at 12:06

Road noise causes high blood pressure - Pugugly
Depends what makes the noise, Ferrari, M5/M3, any bike above 200cc makes me feel good.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Cliff Pope
It surely depends very much on what you like and what you are used to.

Anyone raised in the country finds the noise of central London unbearable. Yet I have heard of people whose front doors open on to busy roads with lorries and buses thundering past complaining about the noisy countryside, cows, cockerells etc.

A colleague of mine once complained about the noise of a single daily passing tractor spoiling the quiet of his Pembrokeshire holiday. He lived in Streatham.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - L'escargot
Most of the noise is tyre noise, not exhaust noise. We used to live about a half a mile away from the A1/A1M and traffic was heavy 24 hours a day. Depending on the weather conditions you could sometimes hear it inside the house with all the doors and (double-glazed) windows shut. It was one of the reasons we moved house.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Chad.R
Have some relatives that lived about 500m away from a main railway line.

Whenever we stayed with them, they would never even notice the noise. Though the freight trains would keep us awake all night!
Road noise causes high blood pressure - turbo11
A close friend lives in a house that is situated at the end of one of the Heathrow Runways. He and his family reckon they sleep ok. My wife and I stayed there overnight once. Never again. As a light sleeper ,the noise was unbearable, despite their special double glazing mostly paid for by BAA. Even during the daytime, I found the near constant noise annoying. Maybe its what you get used to. I live in an out of the way cul-de-sac in a quiet village, where the loudest noise is the dawn chorus. No traffic, no aircraft, just peace and quiet. Strange that I crave peace and quiet.24 years of F1 has mellowed me,although the sound of a V10 wailing at 19000rpm would still give me goosebumps.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Armstrong Sid
As others have said, it depends what you are used to.

I've always found sleeping in total silence (eg middle of the countryside) quite creepy and spooky. Every little squeak or creak becomes deafening.

I find a bit of traffic background noise quite therapeutic for sleeping. As a kid we lived on a quiet road with one car an hour; I remember whenever we went on holiday, I used to really like staying in hotels where I could hear traffic outside - like buses and lorries - when I was lying in bed, because it was something new and different. It certainly didn't stop me going to sleep
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Bagpuss
Yep, have to agree I prefer some background hustle and bustle having lived most of my life in cities.

I once lived in an apartment in the countryside for a couple of years. I had real difficulty sleeping to begin with. Not only dead silent when the telly was switched off, it was also pitch black with no light pollution whatsoever - spooky!
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Hamsafar
I live by an A road, and the swooshing sound is OK, but in the last few years there has been an explosion of motorbikes with very load exhausts, and to a lesser extent chav chariots, they are also ridden/drivven to cause maximum noise. These are starting to become so frequent, even at night that it is becoming a concern.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - Lud
Trucks in Australia use compression braking which makes a sudden loud snoring noise. Notices at the entrances to small towns on truck routes urge drivers not to use these brakes there at night. But they still do.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - perro
Being we live in a 1930's house, I thought I'd buy a 1930's chiming clock from eBay, only cost me a tenner (+p&p) cos they said it wasn't working, but its been going strong for 3 weeks now:)
It chimes on the hour & half hour and its very loud, I even leave it on all night (hehe!) but we've got used to it now, although it freaks the dawg out!
I should imagine that heavy road noise most definitely could impact upon some folks health as does stress but - one persons stress is another persons driving force.
We lived on the Bodmin Moor for 6.5 years in one of the most isolated areas in Cornwall but its nice now to have come back to 'the real world' except on market day when the cattle trucks hit the speed humphs right outside our house at 4-30am!!!
Road noise causes high blood pressure - RicardoB
Spot on. Same here. Normal standard cars and even lorries are expected and acceptable.
But yep, the modified bikes with the "racing cans" - by far the majority - are causing severe stress for us living on a similar road. Sad thing is there is no need for these modifications - the bikes are plenty fast enough as originally designed by the manufacturer and the rider probably doesn't hear or care much about anyone else as they are insulated in a helmet and quite probably earplugs.

I once asked one did they know the effect that hour after hour can have on residents. He told me to "go away" and get some earplugs.
Road noise causes high blood pressure - madux
Spot on. Same here. Normal standard cars and even lorries are expected and acceptable.
But yep the modified bikes with the "racing cans" - by far the majority -
are causing severe stress for us living on a similar road. Sad thing is there
is no need for these modifications - the bikes are plenty fast enough as originally
designed by the manufacturer and the rider probably doesn't hear or care much about anyone

I have posted this before here, in the biker's caff probably: If you you own one of the fastest vehicles on the planet, why on earth do you want to make it louder?
Having said that, the bikes with racing cans are not necessarily in the majority - you don't notice all the others passing on standard cans.........
Road noise causes high blood pressure - the swiss tony
I have posted this before here in the biker's caff probably: If you you own
one of the fastest vehicles on the planet why on earth do you want to
make it louder?
Having said that the bikes with racing cans are not necessarily in the majority -
you don't notice all the others passing on standard cans.........

And NOT noticing all the others is one GOOD reason to fit the noisy cans.......