The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - oilrag
Ive been observing and reflecting on Human behaviour, for some years and recently on what I call `leg action`.

Before the motoring question, here are some observations on gait and terrain.

A typical lower leg action out here in the Far East involves `flicking`the lower leg forwards when walking rather than the `stair climbing` motion typical of Europe and the West.

Further more, Far Eastern peoples in Europe often also have that `flicking` lower leg action. Why?

I put it down to observational learning in childhood and that once `patterned` by the brain, it`s a lifelong behaviour for that individual.

Furthermore I suspect that this originated as peoples moved out of Africa and east through the wide desert plains of the Gobi. It seems an energy saving leg action for flat terrain, while in Europe we were walking in forested regions and developed the appropriate (stair climbing) gait.
My point is, that the behaviour is `fixed`and continued by each successive generation. Right now the Gobi desert`s effects are contributing to a more efficient energy saving gait on the streets.
Now, I`m serious about that - but Is it original thought of mine or something I read once in one of hundreds of books years ago?

Question
Given the adaptive marvel of the Human body, it`s leg actions and energy saving potential through adaptive change, how do you operate the pedals?

Edited by oilrag on 10/09/2009 at 09:10

The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - oilrag
"the behaviour is `fixed`and continued by each successive generation"

(by observational learning in early childhood)
The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - L'escargot
A typical lower leg action out here in the Far East involves `flicking`the lower leg
forwards when walking

People with artificial legs walk like that.
The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - fredthefifth
After moving from a manual to an automatic some months ago my left leg definitely twitches sometimes when coming to a stop!!
FTF
The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - L'escargot
In my younger days you put your left leg in, your left leg out, in out, in out, shake it all about ............
The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - Brian Tryzers
I'm so glad I learned to drive after four-wheel brakes became universal.
};---)
The persistence of learnt behaviour - pedals. - Cliff Pope
So are you saying you can spot a first generation automatic car driver from the way he walks? Or does it take several generations?

Apart from the fact that you drive an automatic car, live in Surrey, and have recently served in Afghanistan, I really know nothing about you Watson.