00 2.0 Poor MPG economy - chrisinleedsuk
My recently purchased 626 2.0 Sport is being a tad thirsty. It managed 28mpg on a really gentle long run and 21mpg on a more spirited drive over the Penines. Performance seems good although I have no perfect condition experience to compare it to. Idle is a tad lumpy, enough to cause very minor vibration of the gearstick.

Air filter was in a disgusting state and replaced today. Engine oil and filter were replaced by the supplying garage one month ago. Timing belt, tensioner and water pump were replaced one month before that. Tyre pressure is ok (32psi). The car has covered 64,000 miles, is 9 years old and is in good condition with plenty of main dealer history. I'm not driving it like a boy racer, nor like an old lady.

Any ideas of what's causing this slightly disappointing economy? I was hoping for a consistent 30mpg plus...
00 2.0 Poor MPG economy - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Possibly the dirty air filter. And the minor vibration may indicate the spark plugs need changing.
00 2.0 Poor MPG economy - chrisinleedsuk
New filter hasn't made much difference. Plugs visually OK at the insulator and electrode but a bit black at the end of the thread.