parts washer fluid - enfield freddy
sorry if this has been asked before

about 12 mths ago i bought a parts washer , just a table top one , i also bought the fluid , from machine mart.

the fluid is water based , and apart from cleaning your hands , about as much use as a ,,,,,

need to replace the fluid , but in an economical way, the machine holds 10l

reading on other forums the concoctions they use , i,m after suggestions?

quite a lot of people suggest a mix of parrafin and diesel ,

which i can locate from local garage , what do you think?

i am just washine off moptorcycle gearbox/engine cases etc

PS I,m not a greeny , so i,m not bothered or even DONT want water based

thanks

alan
parts washer fluid - ifithelps
We used paraffin in the parts washer.

I wonder what the diesel dilution is for, other than to make the whole lot less likely to burst into flames. :)
parts washer fluid - enfield freddy
yes , i wondered about the probs , whilst having a "fag" , I thought that diesel cleaned better than parrafin , but was "heavy and sticky" , hence the mix?
parts washer fluid - Hamsafar
I always thought paraffin was the default fluid.
parts washer fluid - martint123
In the old days before H&S and not knowing any better - our parts washer was filled with carbon tet - shifted everything that did. Surprised I'm still here at times.

I've heard an old dish washer works fairly well - recycle the "waste" back round again - hmmm nice hot, boiling paraffin in a nice fine spray !!
parts washer fluid - Harleyman
Diesel and paraffin are near as dammit the same thing; as an alternative you could use home heating oil (kerosene) which is sometimes available at pumps in rural areas and is even cheaper than diesel.

Stating the blindingly obvious here but WEAR RUBBER GLOVES and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Good idea to wear goggles too.
parts washer fluid - 1400ted
I've had one for years...fitted flush with the bench. I 've always used paraffin.
For really caked on greasy muck I have a selection of old wood chisels to dig it out of awkward bits. General cleaning is done with a couple of cheap paint brushes and an old washing up brush.
There will be a filter under the pump with a bit of felt in it. This will clog up. Go to your local tropical fish shop and buy a pack of filter wool....it allows a much better flow and traps the smallest bits. A pack should last you about 500 years ! Latex gloves will dissolve, vinyl will get very slippy but stay intact......Marigolds are a good compromise....if Marigold will let you borrow them !

Ted
parts washer fluid - Avant
Will someone please forgive my ignorance and tell me what a parts washer is? As this is a motoring forum I realise we're not talking about a bidet. :)
parts washer fluid - 1400ted
You wouldn't want to use paraffin in your bidet, Avant !

Ted
parts washer fluid - davecuk
Will someone please forgive my ignorance and tell me what a parts washer is? As
this is a motoring forum I realise we're not talking about a bidet. :)

It's a single bowl sink, and spigot from which parafin (or similar cleaning fluid) flows with a drain to a sump, the pump in the sump recirculates the cleaning fluid back to the spigot on the top of the sink.

You wash bits of old car part in, before refitting them as new ;-)

Or it's more honest use is for cleaning crap off stuff, to inspect, renovate or repair, before refitting. If you get oil in your hair though, it's not a good idea to wash it in the parts washer, equally it does the hands no good..

We also had spark plug cleaners and vulcanisers (not a device to kill Mr Spock) in the olden days

Edited by davecuk on 09/09/2009 at 03:13

parts washer fluid - ifithelps
...I realise we're not talking about a bidet. :)...

Avant,

Very close, actually.

We had a posh one where the cleaning fluid flowed through a short hose and a brush.

But as Dave says, basically a sink in which cleaning fluid flows from a tap, is filtered, and sent back through the tap again.

We had a little Champion spark plug cleaner as well - a mini-sandblaster.

Two spark plug diameter holes on top of a box.

Shove a plug into each, wait a few seconds, and out come the plugs all nicely sandblasted.

Remember to clean the thread with a wire brush before refitting, don't want all that abrasive stuff in the bore, do we?

parts washer fluid - davecuk
I suppose in that simple little question "what is a parts washer"? lies more than just that. It's how much we have forgotten or perhaps "lost". Recently in the Brooklands motor museum I was looking at one of the workshops of the racing drivers (a recreation with all the old tools and stuff). I realised with shock that I actually knew pretty much what every tool was, and all the machines. My father who was an engineer/mechanic (sadly dead now) has 100s of tools in his workshop...I know what they all are (I only got rid of the torch and bottles recently).

Not so long ago cars came in for faults, you listened, looked, pulled, rocked and perhaps drove them half a mile. New plugs, points, a coil, adjust tappets, clutch etc.. there were no electronic fancy diagnostics, but it was still very easy to find the fault. Often failed bits could be repaired, a part could be made, a part from a different car would fit. I was taught to be careful when stripping something down, so a customer didn't have to pay even more money because I broke an additional part. Bills were (even in relative terms) not as eye watering as today and perhaps there were less angry or sceptical motorists.

Modern cars are electronic marvels, very clever machines (and much more reliable)...sometimes though it seems all this electronic wizardry has isolated the mechanic too much, they believe all the numbers and some of them perhaps....have lost/or perhaps find it difficult to develop, the "feel" for it. Or I'm getting old and we have a new breed of mechanic/engineer.
parts washer fluid - redviper
I know that this might be going of topic, but i agree with Dave

Cars today are great, comfortable reliable and a joy to drive ? they have all sorts of in cars, electronic features that enhance the driving experience

But at what cost?? Lift up the bonnet on my car and everything is covered by plastic. My 1st car lift up the bonnet and there was a engine underneath and a couple of cables. If something went wrong it didn?t need a warning light with a fault code. You could feel it. The flip side of that of course, is that the car would stop without ?limping home? however if you where lucky enough to get home the problem could easily be identified with a bit of poking around and a drive down the road for good measure.

These days it?s a ?we will need to plug in the car to find the problem? followed by ?the computer says this is wrong with the car?, then followed by ?we need to replace this sensor at a cost of x amount and this might fix it?

Where does it stop though, I saw a advert the other day for a major American computer company that has 3 letters to its name. where by they said that a car will be able to tell the mechanic what?s wrong with it BEFORE the fault has even occurred.
parts washer fluid - datostar
Where does it stop though I saw a advert the other day for a major
American computer company that has 3 letters to its name. where by they said that
a car will be able to tell the mechanic what?s wrong with it BEFORE the
fault has even occurred.

I suppose modern aircraft have vastly more electronics, sensors, monitors and safety features than any car. That doesn't mean they're foolproof. Leaving out the spectacular disasters, it makes interesting reading to take a look at the CAA online incident reports. Bits fall off, systems fail ...