AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - russ22
Just had my AA renewal in and have found that Green Flag offer same level of cover much cheaper. Is anybody with Green Flag? Are they any good????
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - mrnikko
Have been with Green flag for 5 years now have had to use them a few times as we have an old car covered by them. Cannot praise them too highly usually with you in less than half hour at the longest and always brought car back to home or garage of choice. I live in rural north of England so I think in view of the lack of population we get a good service
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Mick Snutz
I have GF cover but never called them so can't say. Not sure if they use their own fleet like AA or use local contractors. I'm sure my local Vauxhall dealer has trucks with Green Flag on the side.

Like a lot of things, you don't know what their service is like until its time to use them.

I will say my boss had GF cover. She had a seized bearing on her caravan which spun her into the central res of the M11. The man who attended was told he had to recover a small car heading northbound. She was in a Volvo estate on the southbound carriageway.

He got onto the call centre (somewhere in India) and could barely understand the person on the other end to the extent he was accused of being rascist and the customer advisor hung up on him! Meanwhile he eventually managed to recover a ton and a half of smashed Volvo estate and a caravan from the middle of the M11, bless him.

As with everything in life there's good and bad 'uns out there.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Falkirk Bairn
I have been with GF/Direct Line Breakown for 30+ years - used them once and it was OK - sent a wee van then a truck to get me home - total 2.5 hrs for breakdown to home + a 60 mile trip.

From what I remember the breakdown truck had an oily rag smell - i.e not the best when you are wearing your best suit!
And before someone says you have paid over the odds for breakdown cover I have also paid over the odds for Comp Ins Cover - a few bumps but always recovered from 3rd party - apart from the car radio being stolen + door damage - Cumbernauld - been back there only 11 or 2 times in the intervening 25 years.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - jc2
Britannia Rescue is the best.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Bagpuss
When I still lived in the UK I swapped my breakdown cover from the AA to Green Flag. Instant effect - a massive reduction in the amount of junk mail. Don't know whether that's still the case.

I got on first name terms with one Green Flag mechanic as he recovered me and my dead TVR on several occasions. Very pleasant, knowledgeable guy. Told me lots of unpleasant things about TVRs...
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - colino
After years of dodging between the main companies for the "best deal", I moved to Autoaid last year. At £36 a year its cheap peace of mind insurance.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Focus1.8TDCi
I've only called car breakdown cover once but they wouldn't come out because I did not have home cover - glow plugs went. If I'd been 1/4 mile down the road then they would have come out. Is it correct that they will not come out to you for the same fault twice. eg. faulty battery but you didn't replace it and so couldn't start the car again.

How do they pinpoint your location? Fine if on the motorway/main road/city, but what if you broke down in some remote/unfamiliar location - can they track your telephone/mobile signal?
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - tyro
I'm with Green Flag, and have been for about 5 years now.

We have only had to call them out once. I was very happy with the service. The gent they sent was friendly, efficient, and helpful. He was also a former AA employee.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Simon
If you only buy a cheap no frills breakdown policy then a lot of those do not cover breakdowns at your home address - you only get what you pay for, hence why the real cheap cover is pretty basic in what it actually covers you for.

If you call them out to the same fault twice in quick sucession then there is a chance that they may refuse to attend but it is unlikely. More than twice though and you are starting to take the michael. If however you call them out to a flat battery and they test and/or advise you that the battery requires replacement and you don't bother, but then call them out again for another jump start, there is a chance of them kicking up a stink about it. They may charge you for the second attendance or may choose to cancel the policy if they so wish.

As for your location when you break down then it up to you to tell them where you are. There is no magic solution, they cannot track or trace where you are, if you don't know how can you expect them to?
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Stryder
We have been with GEM Motoring Assist for the past few years.

The package with home start etc worked out cheaper than AA, RAC, Green Flag.

Called them out twice, once on the M1, and once in Gatwick Car Park. Both times waited about an hour.

On the M1 one call out an engining warning light had come up, which they could not resolve so took us home on the truck (all 180 miles). We did not know it at the time but we could of driven it home with no problem but GEM were happy to work on the basis of being safe rather than sorry.

In Gatwick he got the car started (just a flat battery that would no longer charge up) so I got home ok (good job I did not stall...).

I think we are paying £100 pa for 2 named drivers. When we come to renew I will probably shop around, but unless some one else is significantly cheaper with the same level of cover + no dodgy small print, I doubt if I will change.

GEM is a motorists organisation, so you become a member (and get an occasional magazime of limited interest).

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Martin Devon
I think we are paying £100 pa for 2 named drivers.

£2.00 a week is fine for peace of mind (AA IS US)I wouldn't want the one at £36.00 P.A.

That's me............................MD
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Martin Devon
Told me lots of unpleasant things about TVRs...

Don't they suffer from static?

MD
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - madux
Instant effect - a massive reduction in the amount of junk mail.
Don't know whether that's still the case

I have just rejoined the AA following an insurance offer I could not refuse which included free AA membership.
I still get junk mail from them 15 years after my last dealings with them. Latest was a quote to insure the Lada I scrapped in 1995. I sent it back with 'Are you having a laugh?' written on it. No stamp of course.
So I figured, as I am already getting their junk mail, no harm done.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Collos25
Compared to the ADAC they are all rubbish,I pay 78 euros a year for the plus card gives you cover anywhere in the world any car no stupid restrictions air fare home medical care if needed hotels paid for the time I used them in the UK they sent the AA when they reliased i was an ADAC member I was given 5 star treatment how you get ripped of in the UK.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Armstrong Sid
A slight variation on this topic. I've been with Green Flag for several years and so far I've never had to actually use them. (They are cheaper for me than the other main contenders). Whenever renewal comes up I get the letter telling me how much it will cost to continue with them for another year. But I found that if I go to their website and sign on as a new customer I get a cheaper quote.

I guess they are not the only company who do that. They assume I will renew without looking, and they will get a bit more money from me.
I get the letter telling me how
much it will cost to continue with them for another year. But I found that
if I go to their website and sign on as a new customer I get
a cheaper quote.

I compare a new policy with GF/DL - usually save £25 on the renewal premium.
Same game with Car Ins - last month renewal was £222 - ended up £172
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - ablandy
have used all of them over the last few years and have the following comments.

Green flag are quite good at getting to you in less than an hour, but in my experience they are best treated as a recovery service - they do very little to fix any problems.

AA were good at trying to fix stuff at the roadside and were quite quick at coming out. We used them before green flag, but they refused to cover the company cars (all second hand) becaause they kept breaking down!)

RAC. Am with them know and have called them out a couple of times. Have had very quick service and they always try to fix - in fact if you need a tow they normally get another truck to come and tow it. Pleased with the service.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - danensis
My experience with the RAC was that they were apparently getting backhanders from the garage they took me to. I don't know if this was an official arrangement, or something between the garage and the particular rescuer. The garage tried to recover this from me by insisting on additional parts being fitted, despite the car having had a recent service where the specified parts had been observed to be in order. To remove the car I had to sign a waiver saying I didn't want the extra work done.

Edited by danensis on 09/09/2009 at 10:19

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - AshT
I've had experience with the AA and RAC. I was an AA member for a few years before I had to use them - cambelt snapped in a lane on a December night in the middle of nowhere. I called the AA, they misdirected the patrol to get to me, when he eventually arrived it meant he had run out of driving hours. It took nearly 2 hours for the replacement patrol to arrive, by which time hypothermia was starting to set in. In total I was kept waiting for nearly 4 hours, and their control centre seemed totally incapable of giving me honest updates on the situation. When I got home I complained about the service and was brushed off with comments about it being a busy evening, time of year, etc. Cancelled my membership there and then.

After that fiasco I joined the RAC, and have used them twice - once for a broken clutch cable and once for running out of diesel. The patrolman who attended for the clutch cable had a trainee with him; unfortunately it was impossible to tell who was the trainee, both being totally incompetent. After an hour of messing around they admitted they were incapable of fitting the cable. I managed to drive the car 20 miles to a home mechanic I use sometimes who had the cable fitted in 30 minutes. I complained and received an apology and an offer of 25% off the next year's premium which I accepted.

I've called the RAC out once since then for an empty diesel tank. In this case the patrol arrived quickly, got me going quickly, and followed me up the road to make sure I got to the next garage safely.

Incidentally, I used to get a lot of junk mail from the AA too - it seems to have stopped now though.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - sierraman
I used G F for many years and found them to be very good.Unfortunately they became rather expensive and I switched to the AA.I called them out once and the patrolman arrived quickly and fixed the fault.Then the phone calls started, 3-4 times a day to my mobile from an 0800 number,when answered no one there.It took several calls and emails to get them to stop,until my membership was due for renewal and they started again.I decided against renewal because of this and internet research has shown others have done the same.I have no experience of the RAC.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Paddler Ed
"Compared to the ADAC they are all rubbish I pay 78 euros a year for the plus card gives you cover anywhere in the world any car no stupid restrictions air fare home medical care if needed hotels paid for"

I've heard that ADAC are the best to go with as well... but I've hit the gold mine with my RAC cover...

I've just paid £155 for 2 years cover, which not only covers me for breakdown in the UK, but Europe as well and gives me cover that nearly duplicates some of my travel insurance when I'm in Europe. It's exactly the same cover as you get on a brand New Volvo... only difference is that mine is nearly 10yrs old, and has 221,000 miles on it....

Have a look at manufacturers deals if the car is under 10years old; I've been advised by a friend who is an RAC man that they are the best deals to go for.

Hope that helps,
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Auristocrat
In this years Which?report on breakdown cover, AA scored 86%, Britannia 85%, Autonational (Equity Red Star) and RAC 84%, Green Flag 76%, More Than 75% and Europ Assistance 74%.
Scores were based on customer satisfaction of over 13,000 drivers who have had breakdowns and been provided with breakdown assitance in the last twelve months.
Best Buys were the top four.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Big Dee
Hi,

I used to be with the AA for over 10 years but they charged me more every year for the same cover. At the last count it was over £220 /year. I did manage to knock down their annual premium by about £60 but I did not renew with them even though I had a good service from them.

I am now with AutoAid and they charged me ~£36 per year for similar AA cover, as I had seen good reviews about them. I have not used their service yet, so for that kind of money it's not bad.

The only thing with AutoAid is that you get invoiced for any callouts and you just claim it back. As long as you don't mind the hassle of doing this, which I don't, it's OK.

Regards
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - spacem_uk
Hi Big Dee

Got me and the wife on AutoAid, brother and dad on it too. 36 notes a year.

We've not had to call them yet. Dad and brother have had them out a few times, excellent service each time, then just fill in the paper work and get a cheque back well within the stated 14 days.

Neil
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Big Dee
Hi spacem_uk,

I'm glad your family are getting a good service because it's re-assuring for me too. So I'll definitely renew with them again (with the wife also).

Regards.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - 1400ted
Britannia are the best...good friendly and efficient service.
I'm biased a little, I get honorary life cover free as a retired Britannia shift controller.
Covers SWMBO and me for any car.

Ted
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Bromptonaut
I'd add to those who say Britannia

Joined National Breakdown/Green Flag in 1982 as they had affiliate deals for members of the Civil Service Motoring Association. Stayed with NBRC after the CSMA set up/moved their allegiance to Britannia Rescue.

GF's agents were fine but after Direct Line took over the previously competitive premiums started to increment by 10-20% per annum. Not prepared to join in the "re-join as a new member? game so finally moved around 2004 to Britannia who have been brilliant the two times I've called them out.

Unlike AA & RAC they always use a local agent rather than their own techs so you're dependant on the quality of the contractor. Locally it's always Cowans, Westbridge or formerly Freeways of Weedon all of whom were fine but I guess there are some duds as well.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/09/2009 at 01:03

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - MikeTorque
I had to use Britannia a few years ago, they arrived in around 30 mins, we were over 1 hour drive from home, they were first class. Car just cut out on a dual carriageway whilst passing an HGV, no worries though I cruised into a layby right outside a service cafe' which was just about to close. They provided us with coffee & snacks whilst we waited for Britannia who arrived before we had managed to finish everything.

Britannia took the car to the my local garage, then took us all home and it was night time as well, very impressive. Turned out the fuel injection microswitch had gone and the coil was faulty as well.

RAC has been good to my wife, she's used them a couple of times, first class service each time.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Bromptonaut
Car breaks down on Sunday and you're recovered home. No access to garage compound so car is dumped on your drive.

Green Flag or Britannia will come back on Monday to forward he car to the garage. Not all breakdown services do this and a tow in by the dealer even locally could easily be £100.
AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - pda
Just a word of warning for all the bikers on here, we've been with the AA for years simply because they carry those little fold up bike trailers on every patrol car.
Well, they don't anymore!
When the XJR had to be recovered earlier this year we were told that Health & Safety stopped them using them a couple of years ago, so we'll be looking around for a cheaper deal in November.

Pat

Edited by pda on 10/09/2009 at 05:42

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - SB_manchester

My wife called Green Flag as her car did not start after finished working at the hospital. A white truck showed up. The guy could not start the car and he suggested it was a faulty battery. She asked Green Flag to replace the battery (we are paying), but to our surprise, Green Flag could not find a battery.

Next morning, my friend called RAC as he has a personal cover, a professional man came along with an appropriate van fitted with all the required equipment necessary for proper rescue. Guess what, the problem with our car was “A FUSE”!

After being a Green Flag customer for years and not needing them "ever" until this incident, I have cancelled my policy and I am now a happy RAC customer. I am sure the AA is also as good as RAC so you don't think that I am favouring RAC over the AA.

(Gratuitous insults deleted)

Edited by Avant on 20/08/2016 at 17:21

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Ethan Edwards

Can I still get the 2009 prices? Cos that would be great value for money.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - alan1302

My wife called Green Flag as her car did not start after finished working at the hospital. A white truck showed up. The guy could not start the car and he suggested it was a faulty battery. She asked Green Flag to replace the battery (we are paying), but to our surprise, Green Flag could not find a battery.

Next morning, my friend called RAC as he has a personal cover, a professional man came along with an appropriate van fitted with all the required equipment necessary for proper rescue. Guess what, the problem with our car was “A FUSE”!

After being a Green Flag customer for years and not needing them "ever" until this incident, I have cancelled my policy and I am now a happy RAC customer. I am sure the AA is also as good as RAC so you don't think that I am favouring RAC over the AA.

(Gratuitous insults deleted)

Of course the opposite could have happened and you left RAC to Join Green Flag...no breakdown service will be perfect and all will sometimes get things wrong. Just look on the RAC forum plenty of reasons not to join up!

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - galileo

Green Flag, like Britannia, use local garages to attend and recover.

Obviously these may not have all the equipment and expertise of AA/RAC.

It must be borne in mind that Green Flag are much cheaper than AA/RAC and response times are often faster, because AA/RAC tend to be based near or patrol Motorways.

In my 50+ years motoring I have been members of AA (useless the one time I called them out), RAC (ok but had to wait 80 minutes for them to arrive) and Britannia (never waited more than 25 minutes, once only 10, good service each time).

I changed to Britannia because they were flexible enough to cover myself and wife in any car, which at that time RAC would not.

Edited by galileo on 21/08/2016 at 00:42

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - SB_manchester

Sure, this could have happened. However, the RAC were able to spot this basic fault in the car. The Green Flag guy did not even have tools to check the fuses. I guess I was naive not to realise that Green Flag does not have proper rescue vans in their fleet.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - RT

Most disabliing faults on modern cars are too complex to fix by the roadside - the quality of their recovery service is paramount to me - for that Green Flag wins hands down if you have a car that can't be towed, ie 4wd or automatic, or is itself towing anything, ie caravan or trailer.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Miniman777

My experiences with GF are mixed.

Daughter lived in Cardiff, her Clio wouldn’t start. GF sent local agent, who diagnosed immobiliser fault. Had it recovered to a friend’s garage in Tewskesbury, and turned out to be a battery fault. Seems agent put a voltmeter over battery terminals but did not use a high discharge unit, so wrong diagnosis, wasted time all round in a way. Complained to GF as it was pointless recovery man having wrong kit.

I once called them for my MX5 which would not start. GF man starts investigating, proudly telling me he worked for a Mazda dealer in Northampton once. He came to the conclusion it was the lifter pump in the tank (although a pipe he disconnected to check output was nothing to do with fuel supply, just an air trap), so recovered to trustworthy mechanic. He said he could hear pump when ignition switched on, and after an hour’s work found it was the crankshaft positioning sensor.

Back in 2010, Mondeo battery failed spectacularly. One GF man got me going and said buy a battery but don’t switch off till you do. Bought battery and called GF to fit, explaining needs. They send man with flatbed recovery truck, two screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner! Amazingly with two pairs of hands and jump leads to preserve radio code, battery swapped.

Since then had cars with manufacturers warranty so AA/RAC/GF not an issue.

Last winter my son visited me at new home, but ripped his exhaust off on a high gate stop – his car was 32mm lower… RAC man came and refitted the exhaust on a freezing winter night, rather than admitting defeat and calling recovery. Most impressive.

Seems it’s pot luck.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - FoxyJukebox

Quite frankly GF is prob the best because unless there is a deal "on" with RAC or AA-GF tendS to be the cheapest. Good basic level of cover that will give peace of mind-especially if you are consciencious and routinely check your car under the bonnet for the basics and monitor tyre pressures ETC

What i have found though is that GF bought as an add on to comprehensive insurance is often slightly more expensive than when bought on it's own.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - jc2

Britannia +++

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - galileo

Britannia +++

One of the responders told me that the garages contracted to Britannia give their calls priority because Britannia settled their invoices faster than any others.

Could explain why Britannia consistently came high if not top of user surveys for fastest response.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - sophiajones

I have a member of the Green Flag for the last 2 years. I would like to say the Green Flag has been excellent on all occasions. I have needed their breakdown recovery service. I have never had a problem with Green Flag and I would recommend them, simply because the service I have always received from them has been magnificent.

I have a member of the Green Flag for the last 2 years. I would like to say the Green Flag has been excellent on all occasions. I have needed their breakdown recovery service. I have never had a problem with Green Flag and I would recommend them, simply because the service I have always received from them has been magnificent.

You work on an affiliate site to try and get people to sign up through your website you listed on another Green Flag post so you would say that

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Avant

Have you got some evidence for this Alan? If so, please let me know. If it's an attempt at free advertising, it's for the chop.

They posted anotherpost in another thread, sorry can't fin it now, which included a link to another website with info about Green Flag where they encourage you to sign up and then they get a kick back from Green Flag.

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - Chris M

Agree something not right with sophiajones. In one post she (?) said she had just moved to GF and in this one, she has been with them for 2 years.

Edited by Chris M on 16/06/2018 at 09:46

AA vs RAC vs Green Flag - FoxyJukebox

I have been with all of the 3--and am currently with GF. Never had to make a claim so far-but it's the cheapest and thus the best value piece of mind available. I have the basic cover.

Tip-for Home Start cover-always worth keeping in with the nearest local independent garage. I had a flat battery a few months ago at home at 08.30-rang the garage who got me going with his leads for an urgent local apppointment. That same morning -garage guy ordered me a new battery and replaced it at the garage later that morning.