£2k budget - suggestions please - csgmart
After the gear box on the VW Polo has gone for the 2nd time in 6 months I've decided to get shot of it.

I will have about £2k to spend in total on a replacement car. My requirements are fairly basic:-

I commute 120 miles per day - mainly on motorway or fast A roads

99% of time it's only me in the car

Hatchback essential as I often use the car for journeys to the local tip

Don't need a 'big' car - e.g. Mondeo would be overkill

Happy to look at any suggestions - not bothered about badge or age of car. Does need to be reliable etc.

Cheers
£2k budget - suggestions please - alfatrike
i'd go for a diesel focus.
£2k budget - suggestions please - theterranaut
Seconded on the Focus.
How about this? Not sure on Focus prices - is this good value for money?

tinyurl.com/lrsxp2
£2k budget - suggestions please - stunorthants26
Toyota Corolla diesel.
£2k budget - suggestions please - Pugugly
Skoda Fabia.
I think its about right, maybe slightly high, I'd offer £2100 (if you can afford it) and see where it gets you.

Some are against the TDDI, but its allegedly a little more reliable than the (newer) TDCi- older design, a bit less powerful, a bit noisier, but I never thought there was that much in it when you're cruising. The Estate would give you a bit more load-luggability if thats of use to you.

Looks like quite a nice one, I'd say. Careful inspection and thorough test drive, of course.
And check the cambelt has been renewed of course, make sure you see documentary evidence of all alleged work.
or this one? Lower miles etc.

tinyurl.com/lrauzt
1st one says FSH. Would be my preference.

Edited by theterranaut on 07/09/2009 at 22:46

1st one says FSH. Would be my preference.

>>

Good point!
£2k budget - suggestions please - Dave_TD
I'm sure the seller of the second one is an honest businessman earning a reputable living, but the car has a full Ford set of wheel trims - but not the right ones for that car.

That would put me on my guard straight away, as it's likey to have been too close to the motor trade for comfort IYKWIM... just a gut feeling from the photos.

If I 'd have seen this thread earlier I would have said "Ford Focus" anyway.

Dave TD
£2k budget - suggestions please - Sprice
That first Focus estate seems way overpriced. Skoda Octavia?
£2k budget - suggestions please - ifithelps
Agreed the green one looks a bit dear.

Both cars have old technology TDDI engines, which are fine, but slow and noisy.

It's essential you drive one to find out if you could live with it.

You might get a nicer 1.6 petrol for the money, no dmf to worry about and petrol is a bit cheaper than diesel, again.

£2k budget - suggestions please - sandy56
AT this price condition and service history are important(assuming you can get one with a service history!).
Go for Ford, Japanese models, or maybe even Skoda ( not my preference-older models are a bit rough)) but it depends on whats available at the price.
I think you will have greater choice and more comfort with a bigger car- even a Mondeo. Smaller cars are holding their price these days you will get more for your money with a bigger, safer car.
Good luck
£2k budget - suggestions please - Alanovich
Mazda 323. Reliable, cheap, comfortable, spacious.
Dont think the TDDI has a DMF. Traditional clutch, AFAIK.