will the dealer test drive my part ex? - alfatrike
hopefully i'll be part ex-ing the mondeo for a transit next week.

my question is will the dealer take my car for a test drive or just take it on spec?

cheers, alf
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - audiA6tdi
any place i have worked at would test drive the car for 2 - 3 miles
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - jonswaine
audiA6tdi, please could I speak to you about another post of yours? I'm from the Daily Telegraph. My email is jon.swaine@gmail.com - I'd be delighted to call you if you have a moment.

Many thanks.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - maz64
my question is will the dealer take my car for a test drive or just
take it on spec?

2 cars I've part ex-ed weren't test driven.

1. Cavalier 2.0 8v at a Honda dealership - I guess they were just going to send it to auction so it didn't matter to them.

2. Mondeo 1.8 at a Ford dealership - the steering rack had developed a bit of play, which they would have picked up immediately had they driven it. They didn't ask any questions about condition, so I didn't feel guilty about it. The new (second hand) car was a 2.5 Mondeo, and when I took that back for a service heard that they'd had to fix the old Mondeo's steering under warranty at some cost to themselves.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Andrew-T
Depends on the place and the trade climate and their stock level. Some may just walk round it looking for damage, others may listen to the engine and gearbox (Fords of Winsford do), others (if they have a man to spare) may test-drive. If you don't trust your car you can always say no ...
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Optimist
If the make you're selling is the same as the make you're buying and your p/ex is young enough to go on the dealer's forecourt, I think they'll test drive it.

If it's not their make or too old or both, and is going straight to a trader or to auction, they probably won't bother.

I once upset a dealer (having spent some minutes proving that I was ok to drive his car) by making him spend some minutes proving that he was ok to drive mine. How we laughed!

will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Stuartli
I enjoyed a variety of cars over the past 45 years, but when I've come to PX them only one has ever been test driven by a dealer representative and that was around 40 years ago.

I've even been given a (fair) PX allowance over the phone when enquiring about a car and this was adhered to when I visited the dealership.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Bromptonaut
Like Andrew says. Last time I considered trade in was in a careworn 10yo 205. Offered me about £200 without even turning the engine over. Previous time a rather better quality BX was test driven. Sales manager who did the test drive smelled of drink, if I'd not been in dire need of the BX estate he was selling I'd have told him to find a colleague for the test drive!
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - MikeTorque
my question is will the dealer take my car for a test drive or just take it on spec?

Is there a problem with it ?

Some take them around the block prior to offering you a price, others will start the engine and drive it around their car park.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Dave_TD
The only time I ever part-ex'ed a car, the salesman's inspection amounted to peering through the window at the mileage.

It was at a car supermarket, and I was chopping in a 7-year-old ex-taxi 405 diesel estate against 4 grand's worth of Mondeo Ghia. The salesman looked quite sheepish when making his offer of £1000, which made me wonder if he mistook the 360k mileage for 36,000.

Dave TD
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Armstrong Sid
In my years of several p-exchanges and car swapping, I've not had a dealer drive mine for years. Seemed to happen more in the past than it does now.

I always worked on the assumption that if they were going to sell it themselves they would drive it, but if they were going to send it straight to trade auction they just looked at it

I would say the answer to the OP is "how old/what mileage is your car?" That will have a big influence on their decision
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Badwolf
When I bought a Citroen ZX twelve years ago, the salesman test drove my part exchange (a 1988 Sierra Estate) but that only amounted to a quick tootle up the road and back.

Recently, both myself and SWMBO bought new cars from the same dealership and neither of our part exchanges was test driven before a valuation was given. I could understand mine not being driven as it was a 1996 Saab 9000 but SWMBO was chopping in a 2003 Ford Ka.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - bell boy
If you drive a chopper then you wont want to do the deal ,so its best to give what you know you can get out of if its unsaleable and then peruse it properly when the customer has been seen and gone with their new toy
I found a nice little bluetooth dongle under a seat last week,saved me £20 that did
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Badwolf
We both went over ours with fine tooth combs before we took them in, bellboy! I did decide to let the garage have the 4p and 2 euros that was in the ashtray though. Well, you've got to try to be nice to motor traders sometimes, haven't you.... ;-)
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - ijws15
Of 12 traded in only recall one being driven.

That was an eight year old Sierra that the Nissan dealer took over to the Ford dealer for them to value. I don't believe the Ford dealer drove it.

One other was daughter's first car (year old Micra 1.0) that Heartlands Ford put on their forecourt when it was traded for a Focus.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Snakey
When I asked for a trade-in price for my jag X type the head sales guy took it for a quick test drive as he quite fancied it for himself.

Alas, the trade in offer was pitifully low so I still have the car!
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Andrew-T
I did decide to let the garage have the 4p and 2 euros that was in the ashtray

Works both ways, BW. Daughter bought Golf Plus from FoW, and we collected about £20 from the spare-wheel well. Kids must have regularly emptied mum's purse into the gap between the seats and she never twigged ..
armstrong sid.

it's 1998 R reg mondeo 2.0 petrol saloon. 156,000 miles aprox. paint is a bit scratched and a couple of dings and little rust bubbles.

Edit: nothing major, i'd do the bits if i was keeping it. they haven't got worse in the three years i've had it.

Edited by alfatrike on 07/09/2009 at 19:39

mike torque.

a rear wheel bearing is making a bit of a rumble. i don't want to shell out money on a car i'm not keeping. if i do the bearing i don't think i'll see the money back.
andrew-t

the dealer is called 'exeter diesels' and i don't think he'll be selling an old petrol mondeo on the forecourt, probbably go straight to auction as other posts suggest.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Stuartli
Now he knows you're coming, he'll definitely test drive it...:-)
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Pugugly
Let's hope he doesn't Google himself when he's bored !
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Several purchases ago SWMBO car had a slipping clutch and limped it in to a garage . A visual inspection only and a few questions before the deal was struck. None about the clutch. I did buy another car from the same garage 18 months later and they did not hold it against us.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Car
I think only one of my part exchanges in nearly 20 years of driving has been driven and that was just in the dealers yard, and I'm sure that was when they wanted to sell it to a trader.

I would think that most dealers allow for the fact that some part exchanges may hold hidden faults, and they probably can fix or arrange for them to be fixed at a lower price than what jo public can.

will the dealer test drive my part ex? - Martin Devon
Let's hope he doesn't Google himself when he's bored !

I used to 'Google' myself, but I was much younger then!

M.
A wheel bearing is a low cost item for a garage to replace and for the mileage and year they should have factored in a few quid for fixes, shouldn't be a problem if they drive the car, a few squeaks here and there are to be expected.
well, he did take it for a quick spin round the block and then offered me 150 quid (less than the value of the RFL on it) i thought this was cheeky (to be polite) and declined his offer.

i did get the van i wanted and it goes lovely.
At that price they weren't interested in it. For future reference remove the RFL before you hand it over and send to DVLA for a refund otherwise the dealer will cash it in, however, a private buyer will expect it to be included in the price.

Have you decided how you're going to sell to the Mondeo ?

Glad to hear you like the Transit, I find them good to drive.
will the dealer test drive my part ex? - ifithelps
....otherwise the dealer will cash it in,....

Dealer can no longer cash in road fund licence unless they register themselves as a keeper, which is unlikely.
i'll probably stick an ad in the post office window. 250 plus RFL.

i'll get the rfl cashed in and then re tax if the new buyer wants to.

i've got the 125 bhp fwd transit, goes like stink. i've ordered a towbar, she'll pull a trailer lovely.