Definition of a 'classless' car? - Hector Brocklebank
As per title - is there really such a thing as a 'classless' car? Two cars which do not fit the bill are the Range Rover and the hyundai i10 - discuss.....
Definition of a 'classless' car? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Something like the Mini? Cheap enough to be bought by the masses, fashionable enough to appeal to those who could afford to spend far, far more.

Fiat 500 might tick the same boxes?

Toyota Prius too, for different fashion reasons?
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Kevin
BMW X5?

Kevin...
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Lygonos
^ ... winner.

The X5 displays no class whatsoever
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Nsar
Subarus. Driven by v posh country types who don't need to flaunt wealth. And me.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Mick Snutz
Any large Volvo.

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Mr.Tee43
Easy !

VW Golf GTI

End.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Pugugly
Land Rover Defender or a mK1 Range Rover agree with the GTi and Subaru - but excludes any of the rally variants.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Avant
Skodas are getting there gradually. Saabs may become 'classless' again now freed of the GM yoke.

The best example is still the Mini - BMW as much as BMC.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - stunorthants26
Calling the Mini classless is a joke - its bought by people who want to look like they are with the 'in' crowd - there is nothing more trashy than that and trashy aint classless. Looking classy is possible in many nice cars, but to be classless, one must detach from the idea that a car has an image that is for anything other than its given purpose.

A classless car is surely one that is purely sold on its attributes, something like a LR Defender or Subaru Forester/Legacy, cars by people bought for the purpose for which it is designed. Fiat Panda is actually a contender as it does have a broad appeal and thus doesnt pander to any particular class.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - NowWheels
Classless = Any BMW. They all shout "trying too hard". Same goes for their erstaz Mini.
MX5
Definition of a 'classless' car? - harib
I'm slightly confused by the definition of 'classless'

Is it classless as in no taste?

Or classless as in working, middle and upper classes would be happy to drive one?
I'm slightly confused by the definition of 'classless'
Is it classless as in no taste?
Or classless as in working middle and upper classes would be happy to drive one?

BMW = classless as in too flash, Skoda = classless as in anybody would drive one

In a lot of places, tho, the ultimate classless car is the Toyota Corolla. It just does the job without fuss, and makes no statement about image.
>I'm slightly confused by the definition of 'classless'

My fault I'm afraid.

I believe that Hector intended it to be a discussion of cars that crossed perceived British boundaries of social status.

I was being flippant. I won't do it again.

;-)

Kevin...
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Mr.Tee43
A very sweeping statement !>> Classless = Any BMW. They all shout "trying too hard". Same goes for their erstaz
Mini.
Too much of a generalisation Stu - SWMBO has her third Mini on order and drives them because she thinks they're great to drive, a view with which I fully agree. Minimal luggage space, but with an Octavia estate in the family that isn't a problem.

Alec Issigonis designed the original Mini to be above all functional - you could argue that is was just that functionality that made it classless.

Edit - agree wuith PU - the MX-5 is another very good example. We seem to be talking here about cars that do exactly what they set out to do, and do it well. Their designers didn;t intend them to be pose-mobiles, whatever might happen later in the marketplace.

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2009 at 00:04

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Citroënian {P}
I was going to suggest a subaru, something like a legacy estate...but pleased to see the MX5 here, and mention of the Skoda. We've got both and I'd like to think we have them because they're good at what they need to be without any pretence at being anything else.

I was going to suggest a subaru something like a legacy estate

To my mind, a Subaru Legacy estate is very class-bound. I believe it may be illegal to drive one unless you wear green wellies and an inherited Barbour jacket.

Edited by NowWheels on 07/09/2009 at 00:31

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Bromptonaut
Calling the Mini classless is a joke -

The poster said Mini not MINI!!!!
Definition of a 'classless' car? - MikeTorque
Sinclair C5
"The poster said Mini not MINI!!!!"

He did, but I'd say it applied to both - assuming the usual definition of classless as transcending class boundaries (if such exist nowadays, but don't let's start a discussion on that!).

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2009 at 00:47

Definition of a 'classless' car? - MikeTorque
Thought of another one :

Santa Claus Sledge and Reindeer.

Edited by MikeTorque on 07/09/2009 at 01:00

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Dave_TD
Citroen Berlingo Multispace. I once read of a country Lord driving one simply because it could be left anywhere without worry, and it didn't matter if one got mud all over the inside.

Also the London Taxi, considering decommissioned ones are driven by Stephen Fry and Prince Philip....

Dave TD
Definition of a 'classless' car? - LikedDrivingOnce
My candidate for the classless car is the VW Golf. A car magazine described how sensible, practical people were attracted to the car regardless of social class. It then summed it up by saying that it was a car that told you "everything about the driver - and told you nothing at the same time."
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Paul Robinson
If by 'classless' you mean cars that would be driven by wealthy people as well as the rest of us there are loads! For example, my neighbours who have a beautiful house, 4.5 acres of land, stables, five horses and other property they rent out, have a P reg Ford Ka, a M reg Golf and a J reg Shogun to pull the horse trailer. Plenty of similar people driving very modest cars.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - ifithelps
Something that is very obviously a hired car, so other drivers would not know what you normally drive.

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Armstrong Sid
I would've thought that "classless" could mean several things

1. You don't jump to conclusions about who's driving it when you see one = X5
2. Large number of buyers could afford one = small Hyundai/Kia
3. People don't care if they are seen in one or not = Micra

A car that fits the bill is one that doesn't imply you are either wealthy or skint. they are bought by people who just want a car, without falling prey to marketing or image concerns
Definition of a 'classless' car? - MokkaMan
Got to be the Golf / Golf GTi - real quality to the man in the street. As JC (Clarkson that is) said - its all the car you'll ever need.

Definition of a 'classless' car? - stunorthants26
Id agree that the original Mini was a pretty classless car. I know I made a generalisation about the BM Mini and fair enough its a good car, but by the sheer fact that it is massively expensive for what it is, it is a premium item, not a car that appeals across the board.

Im not really sure that the Subaru being for country folk only is correct - I see as many in town as I do out. People do seem to hang onto them longer in the countryside, but that is because the richer folk, the old money that I know owns them, simply dont spend money on cars very much.
That said, Ive also seen quite a few Foresters doing the school run and they dont look like they have ever seen mud in their life.

Id still stick firmly to the Fiat Panda. I think it is all the car most people will ever need in one form or another. When you see a Panda, you dont really have any clue about who might be driving it - could be anything from the district nurse to James May. Oh and teh green wellies bunch rather like them aswell from what ive seen.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Brian Tryzers
How about the MPV, midi or full size? You - all right, I - see plenty of them laden with bikes and canoes on the dockside, bound for the 'Daw-doyn'; but because the 'premium' makers don't do them, it can't be an aspirational purchase, so you buy one because it suits your needs.

All right, that's an example, when HB asked for a definition. But I think were getting close: 'classless' means you can choose one for what it is, without the risk of one set telling you you're slumming it or, conversely, another thinking you're getting above yourself.

My ageing Volvo probably isn't classless, although it's closer than some. I do a middling-to-senior job and feel comfortable parking it at work in a way I probably wouldn't with, say, a BMW 7 or, for that matter, a Micra. But a VP who works in the same building locks a 1998 Golf each morning, and if I had one I'd probably feel happy to do the same. This may be blurring the line between class and status but it seems to fit.
My ageing Volvo probably isn't classless although it's closer than some.

Volvo says you're not a prole. The middle classses drive them, and so do the toffs, but not the oiks.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Paddler Ed
""My ageing Volvo probably isn't classless although it's closer than some."

Volvo says you're not a prole. The middle classses drive them and so do the toffs but not the oiks. "

But then up here there are quite a few older ones that are used as tradesman's vans/cars

I think that an older estate is probably the most classless car; I remember one of the local independent schools had a real mix of cars, with everything from new-ish Merc 500SL to Montego estates.

I think that a BMW/Audi tends to be driven by someone who is aspiring to something they may not be.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Lud
In this country there's no such thing as classless. But the picture has become very scrambled, so blurred as to be indecipherable in general, a bit less so sometimes in highly specific situations. Perhaps it always was more like that than we tend to think.

Car makes and models used to be associated with rather broadly-drawn social classes on three or four levels, but they aren't these days. A lot of the makes that used to compose that picture have vanished. The remaining ones, foreign-owned almost exclusively, are all effectively 'classless', if the term has a meaning. Only a foolish person would imagine that possession of a particular car, temporary or permanent, could confer any meaningful status on them, whatever naive passers-by might think or fantasise.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - runboy
Lexus? Seem to be driven by all manner of types and ages these days.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - ForumNeedsModerating
A Rolls-Royce: The Queen drives (or is driven in) one, lottery winners drive them & so does Surallan. What wider social (class) diversity could there be?
A Rolls-Royce: The Queen drives (or is driven in) one lottery winners drive them &
so does Surallan. What wider social (class) diversity could there be?

:-)

But the middle classes don't drive em. Rollers are for toffs or for proles who get rich.
>>But the middle classes don't drive em. Rollers are for toffs or for proles who get rich.

The middle-classes don't drive them because they can't afford 'em! Nothing whatever to do with their class being middle. The middle-classes also tend to loathe & despise that which they can't afford & those that can. Rather a handy definition middlle-classness that , even if I do say so myself.
The middle-classes don't drive them because they can't afford 'em! Nothing whatever
to do with their class being middle.

I don't think it's just about money; it's also a don't-flaunt-it mentality. Whether that's a good or bad thing is another matter, but it seems to me that a middle-class lottery winner is more likely to buy a retreat in rural France (or wherever) than a roller, whilst the working-class person may go for the roller.
>>I don't think it's just about money; it's also a don't-flaunt-it mentality.

At the risk of going O/T - the middle-classes just flaunt differently, "Young Hector & Jemima
were awfully lucky to get into The London Oratory, & we've found a fantastic little man to look after the garden, he's a real treasure.."
Definition of a 'classless' car? - oldnotbold
My Pug 405 estate is classless, but not in the sense that the OP intended. A car driven by all classes - Golf GTi.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Lud
Hilaire Belloc did one on this which I will quote in full in case someone hasn't seen it.

The rich arrived in pairs
And also in Rolls-Royces;
They talked of their affairs
In loud and strident voices

(The husbands and the wives
Of this select society
Lead independent lives
Of infinite variety).

The poor arrived in Fords
Whose features they resembled.
They laughed to see so many lords
And ladies all assembled.

The people in between
Looked underdone and harassed
And out of place and mean
And horribly embarrassed.

There are some excellent Nicolas Bentley illustrations to perhaps th first edition, perhaps a later one. Very fine drawing of jolly snub-nosed working-class family in ill-fitting formal gear in a snub-nosed Model T Ford.

But that was in the nineteen-twenties. This is now. People of sophisticated upbringing may sometimes be able to stick a class label on someone by deciphering their demeanour, discourse and dress style, but never from their car. Not for sure anyway.

I think the Belloc piece is called 'Garden Party'.

Edited by Lud on 07/09/2009 at 19:01

Definition of a 'classless' car? - Harleyman
If by "classless" you mean that it can be driven by a duke or a dustman, then the answer has to be the original Land Rover.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - gordonbennet
A classless car is any car driven somebody who doesn't give a tuppence what anyone else thinks, regardless of its make.

Amazing to read some posts here, the class system really is alive and kicking..well in some peoples minds anyway..;)
Roomie was suorisingly classless - I know of a few round here who bought one. Don't confuse class with wealth - two different things entirely.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Sofa Spud
Land Rover Defender, as long as it doesn't have alloy wheels or metallic paint!
Definition of a 'classless' car? - madux
>> My ageing Volvo probably isn't classless although it's closer than some.
Volvo says you're not a prole. The middle classses drive them and so do the
toffs but not the oiks.

I am a university educated but working-class oik. I have an old Volvo estate.
Am I a prole or not?
The only true test is your aspiration - are you happy and do you look up or down at other people for various reasons.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - sandy56
Classless car is any car you use a a means of transport, usually excludes all BMW, MB, Volvo, which have too many pretensions, most of which are unfounded.

Classless cars- Ford eg Focus, Skoda, Suburu, Toyota, etc.
In fairness the original 3 series is pretty classless - opposite where I'm staying now (a well to do place) a G plated 3 series lives outside a very large house, been there for at least the last twelve years, it has reached classless status.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - Alanovich
I live very close to a road considered to be the town's "millionaire's row". It seems to me that the most common car in most driveways is an M-reg Rover 200. So that's my nomination for this award.

A couple of "nouveau" types have recently colonised the road with their silver Mercs and Audis. They do seem to be trying too hard.
Definition of a 'classless' car? - schneip
Classless cars- Ford eg Focus Skoda Suburu Toyota etc.

No matter how hard I try (believe me, I'm trying) I simply cannot get my head around the concept of a Subaru being 'classless'. I won't tar all drivers with the same brush, but to me I'm often seeing an Impreza WRX and the mentality demonstrated frequently seems to be "hey, look at me, I've got a VROOOM VROOM!!". Maybe one too many Smokey and the Bandit films viewed as a child? Then the servicing costs seem to catch them by surprise?

...Sorry, but it just seems to factor in way too high in terms of chav behaviour being demonstrated around these parts; the driver seemingly nagging for attention in a manner akin to a Yorkshire Terrier that refuses to stop barking. Then they might step out of the car, dressed in white track suit bottoms.

For classless, I'd probably nominate a MK2 Golf, or any factory spec/non-molested 3 Series of a similar age. Or, if MINI owners seem to be viewed as trying to be part of the 'in crowd', maybe something like a Nissan Note!

Edited by schneip on 08/09/2009 at 11:36

>Two cars which do not fit the bill are the Range Rover..

I think the Range Rover actually is a pretty much classless car.

At the top of the social ladder, Mr. & Mrs. Windsor have owned a few.
A little lower down the scale, wealthy landowners use them for shooting parties.
Captains of industry are regularly seen in them.
Middle England has mortgaged itself to the hilt to do the school run in a Range Rover and even I have a neighbour who bought a used one.

Then we have the social scum that somehow floats despite all baggage they are carrying. Folks like Prime Ministers and dictators of small African countries.

Kevin...

PS. Even Her Maj. puts in a few hours to earn some beer tokens. Could she be called "working-class" now?

:-)