02 1.4 temperature up and down - bananastand
Gentlemen

The engine on this is pretty solid and I had the cylinder head fixed by a trustworthy garage about 2 years ago. It has been losing coolant very slowly though, and I keep it topped up. Now it loses coolant more rapidly BUT the temp gauge has started going about four fifths to the top, then back to normal for about 10 minutes, then repeating. I guess it might be a hole in the system, or could the head have gone again? The oil is clean and the exhaust isn't white.

While it was losing coolant slowly the garage did a pressure test and couldn't find anything wrong there.

Just wondering why it's going up and down like that.

THANKS CHAPS.
02 1.4 temperature up and down - meltonlad
change the temp sender unit. also could be water pump going. or even a simple core plug....
02 1.4 temperature up and down - bbroomlea{P}
It is almost definately an air lock if your temp is going up and down.

Get the system bled before localised heat dispertion takes the head gasket again! You will need to get the leak fixed first though otherwise air will keep getting in when you top it up.

Is there any visible water loss? Could be the expansion cap or the inlet manifold gasket if not - they are at least cheap fixes!
02 1.4 temperature up and down - bananastand
thank you gentlemen, the air leak was indeed responsible for the temperature going up n down.

However the head gasket has gone.... and not even a dose of K-seal if thats what its called did any good. Well it did for about ten minutes. So - anyone want a scrap rover? ha ha
02 1.4 temperature up and down - Robin the Technician
You've not mentioned how many miles the car has done - but if when the head gasket was changed 2 years ago it wasn't skimmed, then its worth considering having fixed. If the car's in good condition then why not get it fixed. With modified gaskets etc its worth a try. Alternatively you could pour some Barr's leak into the top hose, run it for half an hour then flog it at an auction house.