KwikFit Television Advert - Mr.Tee43
KwikFit sell motoring related products.

I have seen this advert a few times and every time I see it, it makes my blood boil.

The advert in question is the one with the mother and son in the Kwikfit waiting room. As the mother is getting a quote for a service, the son is braying hell out of the drinks machine.

What does the mother do ? nothing at all, but just looks on as if it's normal behaviour.

Asked what else Kwik Fit can do, the man giving the quote waves his hand and little Johnnie falls asleep.

Im my day the kid would get a smack and be told to sit still but these days it's not correct to do that and so the kids do as they like.

I know it's fiction, but it beats me how they can promote this sort of behaviour as " normal " and get away with it.
KwikFit Television Advert - maz64
I have seen this advert a few times and every time I see it it
makes my blood boil.

I think it's quite funny...
KwikFit Television Advert - Pugugly
Art and life and all that.
KwikFit Television Advert - alfatrike
i quite like it. makes better sense than the piano or the bird one.
KwikFit Television Advert - BobbyG
Its only an advert - and you have just proved that it works!
How has it worked ?

If you mean that it has got my attention, then you could argue that just by pushing "boundaries"
any advert will work.

What sort of annoys me is that so far all the replies seem to just accept this as normal behaviour and find it "Funny"

Will you be so tolerant when some kid does the same to your car, because he has seen some kid do it on the telly, and you return to find a nice big dent in your door panel.

KwikFit Television Advert - Hugh Watt
Mm, the BR on the whole seems to me to be pretty indulgent towards this kind of kiddy behaviour, so I'd be inclined to keep my head down. Probably a generational shift in attitudes, but I'm absolutely with the OP.
KwikFit Television Advert - alfatrike
please bare in mind this is the world telly land, it doesn't and doesn't have to make sense. yes the kid is out of order, i'll admit that.
KwikFit Television Advert - Old Navy
I am from the "clip round the ear from the local bobby" generation, (and hope he didnt tell your dad or you would get another one). I live in hope that the return to sanity in the UK doesnt take too long.
It's an advert not a sociology dissertation - try not to worry about it.
KwikFit Television Advert - Martin Devon
I am from the "clip round the ear from the local bobby" generation (and hope
he didnt tell your dad or you would get another one). I live in hope
that the return to sanity in the UK doesnt take too long.

I haven't seen this advert as I rarely watch TV. However I heartily agree with the OP. Whether on 'The Idiots Goldfish Bowl' or not bad behaviour only seeks to teach. Not to be treated flippantly.

MD
KwikFit Television Advert - RicardoB
Calm down dear, it's an advert (oops wrong company and hopeless Michael Winner impression!)

It is rather funny, but I do agree that sadly, in real life nowadays, you do see parents blissfully letting their little angels carry on like this.

Signs of the times...
KwikFit Television Advert - sierraman
please bare in mind <<

imagine them naked?
What sort of annoys me is that so far all the replies seem to just
accept this as normal behaviour and find it "Funny"

I find it funny, but don't accept it as normal behaviour. I suspect there are loads of programmes where abnormal behaviour has become a 'comedy classic' - Fawlty Towers springs to mind; doesn't mean you are happy to stay in a hotel where the proprietor abuses his staff.

If you don't find it funny - fair enough. I never liked Allo Allo.
KwikFit Television Advert - mfarrow
No you're not alone - I want to smack the kid too; and sterilize the mother.
KwikFit Television Advert - grumpyscot
No you're not alone - I want to smack the kid too; and sterilize the
mother.

I take it you want to sterlize the mother 'cos she was stupid enough to go to KFit for a service!
KwikFit Television Advert - Hamsafar
"What does the mother do ? nothing at all, but just looks on as if it's normal behaviour." - I hate it too. You can see these liberal middle class types and their awful spoiled children with made up illnesses in M&S Food during the day.
KwikFit Television Advert - Alanovich
Two points:

1: Violence against children even under the veil of discipline is morally wrong. You wouldn't slap an adult, it's illegal, therefore why slap a child? Bullying is never right.

2: My local Kwik Fit provides an excellent value service, never tries to dig out unnecessary work from their punters and is always packed out, appointments for even a brake check needing to be made 48 hours in advance. This is in a major conurbation with lots of competition, most of which stands half empty whilst Kwik Fit get on with the job. They're so busy they don't have time for sharp practice and have even done minor jobs for me for free. It works, and I keep going back. They never let me down.
2: My local Kwik Fit

Alanovich - IIRC you're in Reading, as am I, so may I ask which one you use?
KwikFit Television Advert - Alanovich
Richfield Avenue. Been using it for around 10 years and never a worry. Had to use it again this week with a brake problem on our Smart Roadster. Turned out to be the master cylinder so they couldn't fix it, but they did a full check on the entire brake system and told me it's all perfectly OK for a long time to come. Had to book a day in advance for them to see it. They remarked on some minor perishing to all the tyres (which I was aware of and will sort out soon), but didn't suggest I buy new ones from them.

Smart is now at the main dealer (handily only 100 yards or so from Kwik Fit) and being repaired under warranty.
KwikFit Television Advert - ifithelps
No problems with my local Kwik Fit.

They even gave me a couple of exhaust clamps and a tyre valve which I needed for a non-motoring project.

Richfield Avenue.

thanks
KwikFit Television Advert - ohsoslow
I dread school holidays. We get parents, grand-parents in with their little dears, many who are like those in the advert while the adult lets them get on with their behaviour.

Occasionally when I have had enough I will ask the adult, very politely of course, to control the offending brat(s). This quite often results in the adult getting offended as the brat is only letting off steam etc.

I can assure you that it is not funny in real life and that it is not confined to children and adults of any particular class or financial status.
I can assure you that it is not funny in real life

Lots of 'comedy' isn't, and never has been. If that was a pre-requisite, you wouldn't be left with much.
KwikFit Television Advert - malteser
This advert is symptomatic of the lowering of standards evident in many levels of UK society.
I makes me shudder to see the little brat being depicted as normal.
How often does one see an advertisement where the little (and not so little) horrors are holding a massive uncut sandwich in BOTH hands while taking an unlovely bite from its middle?
Children and young adults DO learn by example and in my view, TV as a major supplier of input to young minds has a duty to provide good, not bad, examples.
KwikFit Television Advert - Jonathan {p}
My local Kwikfit offered a great service last weekend. My dad was visiting me and we discovered a screw in a tyre, hissing air out. Being a Sunday, the local KF was the only tyre service open within 10 miles. We visited, they let us take the old tyre off ourselves and put the space saver on (they were busy and said it would be 1/2hr before they could do it) They removed the screw, said as its more than 6mm in diameter they can't legally plug the tyre.

They said that they have 2 tyres in stock (weird size - honda crvIII) Dunlop would be £380 for the pair.
We said we would leave it for now. Went home, checked online, found that £380 wasn't too ott for these tyres, but checked on kwikfit website, they have an online offer where we got the 2 tyres and balance for £315. Paid online, it sent a message to the locak KF who agreed to change the tyre then and there (the web booked us in on the Thursday). Returned there, went and had a coffee for the 30 minutes it took them to do it and the car was ready.

Really helpful staff, no pressure and no obligatory tracking requirements etc.

KwikFit Television Advert - cilvilservant
Thankfully, this is progress compared to the good old days when the kids regularly got a smack.

In the "good old days", adverts portrayed women as being tied to the kitchen sink or hoover and to be serviant to their husbands. Hmm, maybe we are missing something!
KwikFit Television Advert - Armitage Shanks {p}
I went on a canal boat trip in Birmingham last weekend. It was only a small boat, about 12 seats and the whole thing was wrecked by 3 perfectly well behaved children, sitting right next to their parent(s) and shouting as a mean of normal communication. The boat engine wasn't vaguely noisy, it was the rotten kids! Non-PC Thread drift follows Mods delete if too bad!
In Germany in the 50s a British serviceman's wife was in a local supermarket and having a bit of grief from her kids. In the end she gave the offender a clip round the ear which sorted things out, until a German lady came up to her and (imagine the accent!) - "In Shermany vee are not smackink our cheeldren" to which the English lady replied "Well in England we aren't gassing our Jews". She, husband and children were back to UK the next day and quite right too but it was a sharp riposte!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 04/09/2009 at 19:06

Maybe the children on the boat were deaf ?
Deaf people don't shout, they get shouted at! Think about it!
Actually, people who could hear at one time but subsequently go deaf are prone to talking loudly, as they cannot hear ther own voice, but 3 kids afflicted like this would be a bit unlikely !
Agreed!
....an the motoring connection is ?
KwikFit advert?

I have clipped my ear!

Edited by Old Navy on 04/09/2009 at 21:24

KwikFit Television Advert - Mick Snutz
talking of adverts which annoy, I hate the ones where they get cars to dance or jump off buildings. Unfortunately this usually applies to 4x4's which do nothing more strenuous than park on the kerb outside Oddbins on a Friday night.

Vauxhall did one where their cars were being knocked around by buildings that moved and recently Nissan is advertising it's Qashqai and its siblings performing some kind of street gang related 'dance' routines. Utter rubbish.
I also detest ads that show a car being driven along a totally deserted city street at night where the camera focuses on the wife in the passenger seat with a stupid Valium induced grin on her face.

aaarrrggghh!
That's a thought !

I wonder how deaf people cope with driving cars. If you think about it, we use our hearing sense to
aid our driving in a number of ways.

It must be quite awkward really but I suppose the upside is, you could drive a car which makes a right old din and it would be like a limo to said person.

Motoring link re-established

;-)
I wonder how deaf people cope with driving cars. >>

I would assume superb observation, and a feel for the cars vibrations and motion.

Edited by Old Navy on 04/09/2009 at 21:42

KwikFit Television Advert - Alby Back
Nah, they just buy an Eh? Class.....
KwikFit Television Advert - LikedDrivingOnce
One problem that deaf drivers have is in hearing the parking sensors on most cars, since they rely on a changing acoustic tone to tell the driver how close they are getting to the nearest object.
Of course, some cars parking-sensors give you visual signals ,and some even feature rear-view cameras - but then things start to get rather expensive.
KwikFit Television Advert - Harleyman

Or of course they could try relying on their eyes and their mirrors like the rest of us did before such gadgetry became commonplace.

As to the ad; yes it is amusing, and a darn sight more entertaining than most of the anally-retentive junk which tries to flog new cars.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/09/2009 at 00:31

But think about how you change gear in a manual car, you do it by listening to the engine.

It is something you do subconciously.

Deaf people will never hear the wonderful sounds that engines can make like a V12 in full song.

Or of course they could try relying on their eyes and their mirrors like the
rest of us did before such gadgetry became commonplace.

H. that's a bit harsh, if you don't mind me saying so.

The trend with modern cars is to include various styling and safety (and penny-pinching) features that reduce visibility compared to 20 years ago. The average driver, in the average family car of 20 years ago, could cope without parking aids - now I am not so sure.

e.g Vauxhall Insignia vs Cavalier, Audi A4 vs Audi 80, BMW 3-series, Mazda 3 vs Mazda 323.
H. that's a bit harsh if you don't mind me saying so.

With the greatest of respect, I disagree. Rearward visibility might be less than it was some years ago, but external mirrors have improved greatly. As most of you may be aware I drive an HGV for a living, and have no option but to use my mirrors when reversing. If other drivers did the same,instead of trying to peer through a jumble of childrens' heads and "Baby on Board" stickers, they'd find the job a lot easier.

Further to that, why do people who spend a fair bit of time reversing buy cars which are plainly unsuited to the purpose? Surely the initial test drive should be enough to find this out?

This year's handy gadget soon becomes next year's "can't do without" essential (see mobile phone, satnav, automatic headlights, front fogs, etc) and most of them are no more essential than fluffy dice, pink or otherwise!

A question to finish with; if, as I suspect, a driver on test has to manage without parking sensors and bleepers, why are they essential afterwards?
A question to finish with; if, as I suspect, a driver on test has to manage without parking sensors and bleepers, >> why are they essential afterwards?

Fair comment, but I think that these factors need to be considered in relation to the driving test:
1) The cars chosen are usually driving school ones which tend to be chosen to be easier to drive than average.
2) The conditions chosen by the examiner for performing manouvres are less arduous than the test driver will face in the real world.

You are a professional driver and I sincerely tip my hat to you for the driving skills that you need for work like that - but the rest of us need all the help that we can get, and I humbly admit that my own standard of parking has improved a great deal since I got a car with parking sensors.

But all this is only my opinion, of course. It's fun to air it in the forum, but I don't know anything for sure - except that Death and Taxes exist. :-)
We've gone competely off-topic of course, but I admit that another thoght's just struck me in relation to this reversing thing....... if a shunt, or worse an injury to a pedestrian, results from a parking sensor's failure to operate correctly, would the driver be at fault?

And would the fault in the sensor (which as we all know could happen at any time) be mitigation against failing to observe properly?

Put not your trust in princes..... or anything else which requires an electrical supply! ;-)
Ah! An interesting point, and perhaps worth a thread on its own.
And, Yes, we have drifted off-topic......sorry mods! (embarrased smiley)
KwikFit Television Advert - bell boy
cant believe people need reversing aids to reverse
maybe they should employ some lower order to walk behind them with a flag
no wonder manufacturers are developing systems where computers run car distance evaluaters
you people should read about can-bus and how it could cause air crashes like i did this week,you would never fly again if you knew a piece of wire with a voltage across it took precedence over an experianced pilot
We've gone competely off-topic of course

Well at least it's about blinking motoring !!!
KwikFit Television Advert - NowWheels
cant believe people need reversing aids to reverse
maybe they should employ some lower order to walk behind them with a flag

If cars had some glass at the back, there wouldn't be a problem.

I used to drive a 1983 Datsun Sunny estate. Greater rear visibility, no problem reversing.

Same with its successor, a Peugeot 305 estate. I could park it accurately and easily, because like the Sunny it was like a greenhouse t the back: all glass.

But my Almera hatchback has very thick rear pillars, and a relatively narrow rear screen with a high base. It would be hard work to park accurately without the reversing sensors.