Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - alfatrike
Further to my M4 bristol services slip roads thread:

ever since i can remember the services near Thruxton on the A303 have been closed, coned off and for sale. there are billboards for land and property agents. i have checked their website but can't find a mention of it.
were the services open and if so what was it like? when did it close?

i think this is the ariel photo, shows parked cars but i can't find a date of the image.

tinyurl.com/kw3ljs

Road number error corrected at QP's request

Edited by Pugugly on 04/09/2009 at 00:29

(oops, just spotted my mistake. Thruxton Services is on the A303 not the M4, i can't edit the post now. can you help please mod's? please delete this bit if you can change the original post for me please.)

The map doesn't quite take you to the services, they are a little way east where Weyhill road passes the A303.
Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - bostin
Not sure that they were ever called Thruxton Services - Weyhill services rings a bell. Think they closed at the early part of this decade. Can't recollect ever having visited though.

Edited by bostin on 03/09/2009 at 22:12

i just found it on google earth and it is listed as Weyhill West Star Service Station.

definately shut April 2008 as the photo says.
Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - Steve Pearce
It shut long before 2008. I've been travelling the A303 on a semi-regular basis since about 2003 or so and I'm sure it was closed down then.

Edit: Googling shows that it closed October 2005....

Edited by Steve Pearce on 03/09/2009 at 23:05

i checked the FAQ's on multimap and they say most of their ariel photo's were taken in 2005.
Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - RobertyBob
Yup. I can remember visiting them.

Texaco petrol if I remember correctly and possibly a Little Chef as the restaurant.
Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - julie page
Are you talking about the Service area near the old Severn Bridge?

I am told it closed when the second bridge opened.

Edited by julie page on 03/09/2009 at 23:59

no, i made a mistake with the original posting. A303 near thruxton near andover in hampshire.
Was Thruxton Services ever open ? - AlastairW
A lot of Little Chefs ( and Happy Eaters - remember them?) closed at the same time, a few years ago. ISTR the holding co went into administration.

Quite a few seem to have been resurrected as Indian or Chinese restaurants - a true picture of modern Britain if ever there was one - not that I am complaining!