3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - 1066
I'm tempted to get the above car. havent decided on hatch or estate though yet.
how much should i be looking to spend on an 06/07 plate max 3 yrs old with under 45k on the clock.
does any one know the real world fuel figures for a big deisel auto like this.
ive read the cbc breakdown but i really need advice about price and fuel consumption as well as anything not covered by the cbcb
there seems to be many 1.9 engines but not many 3.0ltr so is the 1.9 a better long term prospect.
im looking to spend around 8500.
i wanted the elite just for the leather and higher spec
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - grumpyscot
Is the 3 litre not the same one that goes in the Saab 95? If so, then the only comment I ever hear about them is not good.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - Martin Devon
When I was working in London a few months ago plod told me they were always breaking.

MD
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - Falkirk Bairn
The 3 ltr is an Isuzu motor - fitted to Renault Espace/SAAB/Opel/Vauxhall IIRC
Comments on other sites suggests that the engine has generic issues.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd suggest reading the car by car breakdown before considering the 1.9 in 150 bhp form.
i notice a lot of 8v 1.9 for sale. but at 120hp. is this enough to move along such a heavy car.
they also seem to be cheaper than the 150hp variant.
swmbo wants an elite spec auto.
i liked the idea of 175hp for the 3 litre but its not really needed just a comfortable family car.
there are many sri's for sale but i imagine these are all firmer in ride comfort.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - TheOilBurner
A lot of the bad press of the 3.0 CDTI comes from when it was fitted in the Saab 9-5. Because of ineffective cooling in that car, it suffered various problems.

In the Vectra, there were no such issues. It's not a perfectly reliable engine, nor that quick. But refinement is OK and it's a whole lot less troublesome than the 1.9 CDTI, which can be a nightmare.

To be honest, the only safe option for engines in the Vectra is the 1.8 petrol, and maybe the 2.0T or 2.8T, but there's not enough of them around to be sure.

Get the 3.0 CDTI if you like it and chances are it'll be fine.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - prm72
The 8v engine isn't a bad lump, and didn't have the swirl valve issues that the 16v had
i could manage without an auto if it means greater reliability.
a 120hp 5sp manual would be ok i think but it'd need to be in design or elite spec.
there seems to be a few on network-q website but id need to read the small print in their warranty to cover any inherent problems or maybe get a cam belt and pump change before purchase.
i dont suppose anyone knows how much i can haggle off a 9-10k car.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - 3T
There are a fair number of 1.9 120 hp motors out there that are just detuned 16v engines rather than the more robust 8v versions . iirc mainly 2005/2006
ive just looked at the networkq site and there are sooooo many different specs.
club, sri,design, exclusiv, elite,sxi etc. its confusing.
What's worse, is that from one model year to another the spec can vary enormously on the Vectra.

Generally earlier cars were higher spec, around 2004-2005 they went down hill, then things improved again, although there were other less obvious cost cutting measures on the face-lift cars.

Exclusiv is basically a low-rent volume shifter for the fleet market, avoid unless basic cars are your thing. SRi = Life/LS + alloys, bodykit and sports seats.

Design is more or less Elite without leather seats and full climate control. On later cars Design has more powerful stereo with DAB, but Elite gets colour sat-nav instead.

Be careful what you pick!
Also bear in mind that when the mid life facelfit happened the saloon / hatch floorpan was stretched to the same length as the estate, so presumably later ones have more rear seat legroom than early ones. ( estates alwasy were on the longer floorpan)
Are you sure about that? The facelift is slightly longer, but nowhere near the estate. I thought it just had a slightly longer nose with the new style front bumper?
it looks like ive narrowed it down to 1.9d 120hp 8v design or elite then.
i was looking at auto but is there evidence that an auto would be less reliable than a manual.
i want a car less than 3yrs old and less than 40k at around 8-9000 pounds.
does this seem realistic and is there room for discounts on the networkq scheme.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - Dynamic Dave
i was looking at auto

Does it have to be a diesel? If not, then why not consider the 2.2 petrol auto.
ive recently moved into the countryside and am doing a lot of running the kids around and my car is only averageing 26mpg so wanted a deisel and i also like the exra toruqe they give
Are you sure about that? The facelift is slightly longer but nowhere near the estate.
I thought it just had a slightly longer nose with the new style front bumper?

Reasonably, but then I thought I read it in the CBC and can't see it there now, so maybe I'm dreaming. :-/
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - barchettaman
A PPC tuning box from BSR will bring the 120 lump nicely up to 150, BSR are very well thought of on the vectra-c.com owner´s site. Cost around 500 quids.
That conversion is fully swappable back to factory settings too.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - Marc
"ive recently moved into the countryside and am doing a lot of running the kids around and my car is only averageing 26mpg so wanted a deisel and i also like the exra toruqe they give"

I've got the 2.0T petrol SRi. It's the Z20NET chain driven, SAAB derived engine. I've had it for five and a half years and 80k. It averages about 31 mpg in a mix of 70% motorway and 30% urban. It has plenty of torque and oomph. I recommend it and would definitely buy another car with this engine. As you have already said, go for an Elite if you don't want the slightly harder ride of the SRi.

I've read on vectra-c.com that the FIAT 1.9JTD engine (in both guises) can have issues but have no personal experience of them.

Edited by Marc on 02/09/2009 at 00:57

3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - prm72
Don't think you can get auto with the 8v diesel, only the 16v 150bhp
That's right. Vectra Cs with autos:

1.8 CVT (only on earliest cars, short lived)
2.2 direct petrol
2.8T petrol
3.2 petrol (pre-facelift only)

1.9 CDTI 150 16v
2.2 DTI (pre-facelift only)
3.0 V6 CDTI

If you really don't want the 1.9 CDTI 16v, then the 2.2 Direct is your next best bet. They have their issues, but they're generally OK and fuel economy is not bad at all.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - redviper
Hi

I have the 1.8 Vectra Design, on a 06 (Facelift) and while its not the fastest car around it crusies very comfortably which is great for what i want.

Its the manual version as i prefer manual cars, for the only reason that they are simple and not much to go wrong.

Mine is the design trim which comes loaded with stuff, i think the only things that are missing of the trim spec (that i can think off) is the colour sat nav dual zone climate, and electrically heated and adjustable seats all of which i can live without.

the car is a joy to drive it may not be a class leader but its just great for what i drive for (normal roads, not race tracks) , i think it still looks good next to the insignia, whatever model you go for im sure you will enjoy it. - i would just avoid the poverty spec ones ( i did and paid slighty extra to have all the stuff) compared to a pov spec one the trader i bought mine from had for just a couple of hundred less.

i think ive narrowed it down to a design or elite.
what mpg do you get out of your petrol. i like the idea of the deisel 120hp 8v.
also lots of sri's about a bit cheaper but her indoors has a back problem and i believe the sri is harder riding
Im not sure exactly, i think its about 38mpg Average, im not sure really as ive never taken time to work it out, when i looked at the computer thingy im sure thats what it said.

Mine (facelifted design spec)has most of the gadgets part leather which i have grown to really like, DAB radio is brilliant as i listen to BBC 7 quite often (depending if you can get a signal or not)

the 1.8 though is small engine for the size of car and its NOT quick of the mark, it crusies well enough but a car full of people and luggage its not that powerful (but its ideal for what i use the car for) so it would down to your personal needs.

Edited by redviper on 02/09/2009 at 17:43

i have a c4 grand picasso 2.0 petrol auto at the moment but swmbo really hates the ride and loves the ride of a friends 3.0cdti elite saloon vectra on a 57 plate.
i think a manual 120hp 8v design will be good enough.
it must be no more than 3yrs old. and less than 40k mileage and around 8000 pounds.
does it sound doable as ive seen prices upto 10k for that spec but i think i may haggle because it appears that bigish cars arent selling well
I paid £5.5k (£7k trader price - £1.5k trade in on Astra) inc 12 months tax and serv for my 06 1.8 16v petrol 19k miles)) 6 months ago

Ironically its cheaper to tax, than the astra but becasue im tall i found the astra g cramped and i have the seat all the way back in the vectra and its just right

I would say that for the stats you have given me, it is doable but i personally i only but from a reputable trader with 12 months warranty, for peace of mind i will have paid slightly extra

the vectras are a lot of car for not a lot of cash

Edited by redviper on 02/09/2009 at 18:02

3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - maz64
OP - I know this doesn't have the kit you are after, but have you looked at what Motorpoint have got at the moment for £8k eg. 2008 1.8 16v Life with 16k miles?

Edited by Focus {P} on 02/09/2009 at 18:17

i think i want to buy from somewhere like network-q.
120 hp 8v deisel design hatch or estate.
i'll probabaly haggle for an extra yr or two on the warranty after the standard 1 yr they give you.
lots around 8500-10k but there must be room for several hundred pound reduction on those prices.
3.0 CDTi Auto. Elite. Buying advice please - Dynamic Dave
what mpg do you get out of your petrol.

I've got the 2.2 direct injection auto (Elite trim). I get approx 26 mpg urban, and 34 mpg combined. I did a 200 mile round trip yesterday mainly on the A34, M40, M42, & M6. Apart from the 50mph areas I was averaging 80 mph (speedo reading before the speeding dictatorship complain) and the fuel comp said I averaged 36 mpg.

I've a heavy right foot, btw.

ps, also note that with an autobox the road tax is more expensive.
've got the 2.2 direct injection auto (Elite trim). I get approx 26 mpg urban, and 34 mpg combined

that's pretty good for a heavy car.
my grand picasso does about that mpg.too tall and gittery ride.
drove a new c3 picasso today and that was much more comfortable