96 1.6 Automatic-Handbrake does not hold - Norman77
Its mum's car.
!996 N reg/5 door with 54k

She says when in drive with the handbrake on the car moves forward, with a groaning noise coming from the rear brakes.

I have tested it myself and it does seem that the passenger rear caliper is not working, as the car lurches to one side when moving forward.

Is there a known issue with the rear calipers seizing?

11 clicks of the handbrake till fully on.

With the handbrake on, the adjuster arm that tightens the handbrake cable is wonky so i was wondering if this meant something had seized at the caliper.

Its an old car but she will spend any amount to ensure it is safe,and has become quite attached to it.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/08/2009 at 13:46

96 1.6 Automatic-Handbrake does not hold - piston power
It's time to get dirty!

Whip off the wheels are these brake pads and discs? you say it has calipers so i'll asume that.

Are the pads equal meat on both sides like left/right?

Are the discs ok? does this have handbrake shoes fitted inside the rear disc it may have and these could be worn out lots of times overlooked.

If it has the handbrake shoes im sure they can be adjusted inside the drum part of the disc then adjust your handbrake to suit.
96 1.6 Automatic-Handbrake does not hold - Norman77
Just a follow up to this post for Bigtee.

Pads and discs had plenty of meat left on and were in good condition.It turned out that the handbrake arm on the nearside had seized at the caliper, which with a bit of effort is now free and the car has just sailed through the MOT. The rear discs have no separate parking brake pads and just use the conventional single set up. It would have been £65 plus labour for a new rear caliper.

Thanks again for your advice Bigtee