Brighton/South Downs area route advice this wk/end - jacks
My son has lived in Brighton for the last 4 years and consequently I've got quite used to the run from Gloucestershire - but I've always avoided Bank Holidays for obvious reasons. I need to go down on Sunday (the only day we are both free) to deliver quite a bulky item to him so the train is not an option.

I normally just do M4 (join at Bath) thenM25/M23/A23 and it's normally ok unless there's an accident but I have been caught in summer months by long tailbacks on the A23 at the junction of the A27.

Looking at the map I think I could avoid this by leaving the A23 at Hickstead and going around Burgess Hill on the ring road and then Hassocks, Ditching, and over the South Downs past something called Ditching Beacon (?) and then then into Brighton (but avoiding the London Road) or head up via Falmer (by the University) and down to the coast entering Brighton from the east which is where I need to be as he lives just off the front by Kemp Town.

Anybody local -ish and can give any advice wether this is likely to be clear or any other useful route advice for this B/H Sunday? I'll need to arrive in time for lunch and will start the return about 6 i expect.

thanks

Jacks
Brighton/South Downs area route advice this wk/end - Chris M
Is time of the essence?

Not sure about the Brighton end but how about M4/A34/A272. A272 isn't a fast road, but the scenery is OK.
Brighton/South Downs area route advice this wk/end - helicopter

What side of Brighton do you want to be?

The road over Ditchling Beacon is a very scenic route over the downs , very steep and a couple of hairpins but on a clear day the view from the top is fabulous.If you are heading east side of Brighton thats a nice drive. You will encounter lots of walkers and cyclists and people just out for a nice day out.

If you want to stay on the east you could come off the M25 at Leatherhead Junction 11 down A24 past Box Hill and Dorking down to Horsham and onto the A281 to Brighton over Devils Dyke .. again , over the downs with great views and very steep climb and descent but the added bonus of hang gliders taking off from the top on a clear day.

Or you could indeed try the A272 and join up with A281 but that would mean traffic jams at Midhurst and Petworth and be much slower.

Your Motorway route and A23 will still be quicker whatever you do, even on a bank holiday .
Brighton/South Downs area route advice this wk/end - Optimist
Your route sounds good to me, jacks.

You can go over Falmer Road all the way to Rottingdean then west back into Brighton, or over Falmer Road into Warren Road and then cut south through smaller roads by East Brighton Park and Golf Course bringing you down to the front about Kemptown.

then cut south through smaller roads
by East Brighton Park and Golf Course bringing you down to the front about Kemptown.

Thanks for the tip, I'll either go Devil's Dyke or via Ditching to avoid the A23 - I'll probably decide before I leave after checking the AA traffic report etc.
Thanks again

J
What side of Brighton do you want to be?
If you want to stay on the east you could come off the M25 at
Leatherhead Junction 11 >>

I think that's West !

If I went that way (A281) presumably there's a turn off the A281 somewhere after Henfield and before the A23 (that the last section of the A23 I want to avoid) - I think it would bring me out on the elevated roundabout over the A27 Hove exit ?? If it's the junction I'm thinking of the road goes into Hove and you can take left at the bottom of the hill and go past Hove Park coming roughly where the old Brighton & Hove football ground used to be.

Thanks for the advice
Brighton/South Downs area route advice this wk/end - helicopter
Yes its west... Shows how good my directions are.......!

If you do go on the A281 after Henfield , take the A281 towards Poynings . You come to a roundabout where the A281 bears left but you go straight on towards Saddlescombe and Devils Dyke. Its called Beggars Lane and brings you eventually into Devils Dyke Road . This then brings you to the A27 junction at Westdene and takes you down Dyke Road Avenue and Dyke Road and onto North St by the Palace and to the Palace Pier and seafront.

If its sunny on Sunday Brighton is going to be packed whichever way you go in...