02 1.6 Crankshaft pulley bolt failure - sospan
I had my cam belt replaced last week on my Focus as a precaution - I have owned two cars in the past where the belt has failed and I know all to well the damage to the engine and the potential costs.

So...

3 days later - rattle from the engine. I had a look and found one of the bolts on the water pump pulley hanging loose. Took the car back to the garage ( a trusted independent) who apologised and tightened them all up for me.

Then....

5 days later, starting the car up on the drive, a big noise and a clunk.....I am not a happy chappy at at all. Towed back to the garage - and he didn't look to happy either. He's had a look at it and I have just been told the crankshaft pulley bolt has sheared, there's damage to the valves, won't know more until the head is off etc..

So the bottom line is...who carries the can for this one? I have read somewhere that its Ford recommendation for this engine that the bolt should be replaced when the timing belt is changed.

Anybody know anything about this

Edited by Pugugly on 25/08/2009 at 15:01

02 1.6 Crankshaft pulley boltfailure - Galaxy
I've not heard myself about Ford recommending the crankshaft pulley bolt is replaced on changing the cambelt, but it could well be right.

I think the problem is down to the garage who carried out the work. "A trusted independent", hmmmm! The water pump bolts saga makes me wonder.

Can't say I've heard of a crankshaft pulley bolt shearing on a zetec engine myself, but others may well know better.

You'll have to wait and see what the garage have to say, but I wouldn't accept anything short of them rectifying the damage caused, especially if it does turn out that the bolt should be changed.

Good luck, I don't envy you!

02 1.6 Crankshaft pulley boltfailure - sospan
I've used the same guy for the last 15 years - I haven't had any problems with him in the past.

I found an information sheet on the internet from a company called Dayco. It says....

"FORD Fiesta/Fusion 1.2 16v, 1.4 16v, 1.6 16v. Focus 1.4 16v, 1.6 16v
Crankshaft bolt replacement
When the timing belt and associated components are being replaced the crankshaft bolt
has to be removed to gain access to the synchronous drive.
The old crankshaft bolt MUST NOT be reused but replaced with a new bolt.
Dayco`s timing belt KTB396 includes the belt 94671 (117SP+220H) and the tensioner but
Dayco are unable to include the new crankshaft bolt to the kit due to the differing length
variations available.
The Crankshaft bolt has to be sourced from the main dealer"

I haven't found any other references.