05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - cornishcharlie
What a nightmare I have had.
I purchased an ex post office combo 1.3 diesel with 30000 miles about 6 weeks ago.
I drove it for 80 miles until it came to a grinding halt.

I had it towed to a garage for investigation. after two weeks (dont ask), it was discovered that the turbo had failed and dumped oil into the cat and blocked the exhaust.
The cat and turbo were replaced. once the engine was running again, I was informed that there was oil coming out of the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head would need to be removed to investigate this.
Whilst this was being carried out I was also told that the timing chain was worn and I need to have that replaced.
It was decided that there was nothing wrong with the head, and in fact the oil had been coming from the intercooler that had not been cleaned properly after the turbo blow.
After paying the £1400 bill I got 20 miles down the road and the oil light came on.
The vehicle was returned to the garage to discover no oil pressure.
The engine has now been stripped down and it has been discovered that the oil pump has failed, taking the big ends with it.
It seems way too much of a coincidence that this would happen only 20 miles after a Turbo failure on a 30000 mile vehicle, I have seen other references on the net to oil pump failure after timing chain replacement. Can anyone shed any light on this.
Can oil pumps fail on this model if there is a problem with a timing chain replacement? Its not that the garage don't want to help, but they also are unsure of the cause of sudden oil pump failure. There are reassembly warnings in the Vauxhall manuals with regard to the oil pump during a timing chain replacement, but the consequences are not explained
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - oilrag
These engines are in Fiats (I have one at 30,000 miles) but Vauxhall were running 5w30 oil and longer service intervals, compared with Fiats 12,000 - 1yr with 5w40.

I don`t know if that`s it, but it would be interesting to know it`s oil change frequency and what oil was used.

Really sorry to hear of your trouble,
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - Cris_on_the_gas
If you brought this from a dealer I'd go back and have a word with them.

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 25/08/2009 at 15:46

05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - davecuk
Sounds like it might have been the oil pump all along....which would have taken down the first turbo. Surprising on a Van with such a low mileage. Sort of shocked that a working vehicle can have only done so little miles in it's in service life..and how does a timing chain wear in 30K miles?

Edited by davecuk on 26/08/2009 at 00:21

05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - madf
Post Office vans are rarely sold with 30k miles.
My guess is it has been clocked.
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - cornishcharlie
Hi guys many thanks for your input.
The dealer I purchased the vehicle off, a < snip >, basically told me to go away and then had the cheek to report me to the local police for harrassment. I wonder if he will say the same to the judge at the small claims court?

the vehicle was mot'ed earlier this year by the post office, and the mileage does seem to match the sevice printout.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/08/2009 at 17:08

05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - davecuk
the vehicle was mot'ed earlier this year by the post office and the mileage does
seem to match the sevice printout.

I would double check that with the post office....also check the engine number matches the VIN and that neither has been tampered with etc..
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - madf
Judging by the dealer's reply and actions, I would very carefully state that that time investigating mileages at past MOTs may prove useful.
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - oilrag
Check it hasn`t done 30,000 without an oil change too
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - able1

Make sure you keep an accurate log of all events, who said what etc.

Having used the Small Claims Court successfully myself, it can be slow and tortuous but, providing the defendant has the means to pay very satisfying.

Good luck, you appear to have a valid case.
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - hs748
I, too, bought an ex PO 1.3 Van - this one from from a dealer in Wakefield who advertised on ebay. Supposedlly 25,000 miles ' 55 reg. Last week at 30,000 miles it broke down spewing oil from what appears to be a turbo failure - would be very interested to hear from cornishcharlie to see if there are any suspicious coincidences in our experiences.
05 1.3 Turbo failure then oil pump failure - hs748
Have just got confirmation from the Royal Mail that the low mileage was genuine. It seems that the hard life these vans undergo in Post Office service shortens their life span considerably.