Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - oilrag
I`m presenting the pic of the 1.9D again for a new test of detective work by the technically interested.
It seems (not 100% sure)a bodge to me and there`s evidence of it if you click and expand the photo up to full size.

It`s not the EGR blanking plate - it`s visible not hidden.

I was going to present this as a straight technical debate on the issue but thought if it gives a little interest, why not do this first?

Half marks for identifying it. Full marks for explaining why it may have been a less than satisfactory job.

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/engine.jpg
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - bell boy
only bodge i can see is you have vasalined the battery terminal
its not really necessary on modern batterys but gives the view of a vehicle maintained by someone who cares
watch the bonnet catch as the internals go faullty and its a heck of a job getting the bonnet up bar using an air chissel
Cheers BB. Bonnet catch well greased.

I would like your opinion on the possible bodge later if you don`t mind - but will let this run until tonight.

Edited by oilrag on 24/08/2009 at 14:32

Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - doctorchris
Jubilee clips on that braided metal hose and the poor finishing on the end of the braid.
Don't know what the hose does so can't comment on consequences of bodge.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - L'escargot
A piece of plate has been welded into the top of the inner wing panel, to the left of the blue filler cap.

The paint finish on the panel to which the identification plate is attached is quite poor and is probably not original.

The plate which has weights stamped on it appears to be attached with non-standard fixings.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - daveyjp
For some reason you've turned the engine round. This means the dipstick is now at the back of the engine bay. You now need to spend hours keeping the engine clean so your clothes don't get covered in oil when checking the levels!
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - Lud
Can't help admiring that spotless underbonnet oilrag, but the only hint of a bodge I can see is a bit of a jubilee clip on a hose buried very deep. Original might easily have been some sort of strong spring clip, one of those ones difficult to replace properly with an ordinary pair of pliers in a constricted place like that.

You could eat your dinner out of that engine bay.
Clue

It may have been a red letter day for the warranty dept.

Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - bell boy
dabs of red paint everywhere then to see if anything is dissasembled?
a chappy i know replaced all the marks on a marina he serviced many years ago and scrapped with the owner when accused of not touching things
There do seem to be a few spots of what may be red sealant which may have been supposed not to be used on some joint or other...
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - moonshine {P}
Hematite red sealant used to stop oil leak on rocker cover gasket. Bodge job in that sealant should not be required, new gasket should do the trick. Hematite red used becuase it remains soft and pliable.
The gasket.

You can see traces of Red hard type gasket cement. Look closely though and you will see they are remnants and not from the complete gasket replacements I did there to stop a very slight oil leak.

1) It went in to the dealer for the same right at the end of warranty
2) Came out leaking oil at the place where the air pump is fitted
3) back in and out with copious amounts of red sealer around the rubber gaskets
4) very slight oil leak started from original leak site
5) worsened recently and full rubber gasket set bought for £47

I stripped it off and found all the rubber gaskets embedded in hard red compound. It seemed as though the flexible rubber gaskets had moved slightly onto the corrugated surface of the red stuff. The 0 ring on the EGR/Air intake was a terrible mess of hardened compound with an unbedded soft rubber 0 ring.
Even the four rubber intake gaskets were embedded in a real hardened mess.

Scraped it all off - leaving the traces on the cover that you can see. Refitted with new rubber gaskets and the merest trace of non hardening blue compound.

So has it ever had a new gasket set at the dealers? Why red harder setting compound on soft rubber flexible gaskets and why so much? You should have seen it extruded in beads all along the right side of the cover. You can get an idea of the extent of it by the remaining traces on the covers exterior.

Thoughts?

(you know your own scores ;-)
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - Old Navy
What about the dirt in the vaselene on the bonnet lock?
It`s LM grease ;-)
Its still dirty. :)
But greasy. Not dry seized and creaking ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 24/08/2009 at 17:07

Dirty grease = grinding paste. :) I give up.
No bonnet catch has ground itself to death - but thousands have seized.

I might clean it up though and slap more grease on ;-)
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - bathtub tom
Why the jubilee clip, is it standard?

I'll have to take my anorak off in this heat. ;>)
Honestly ON, how many times does oilrag have to open and close his bonnet for the dirt in the grease on the catch to cause significant wear? Grot in a wheel bearing is one thing, on a bonnet catch something a lot less important. I suppose you were joking again though.

Are you from Yorkshire by any chance?

:o}
"Why the jubilee clip, is it standard?"

Tom, The only none standard hose clip is on the bottom hose.
suppose you were joking again though.

Of course, just gently ribbing oilrag, anyone who maintains their cars to that standard deserves respect!
;-)

C`mon guys what about the red stuff and the gasket!
All one can say is Tut tut.

You have my permission to pass this on to the garage in question. A lot of them do it though.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - DuncanSuperb
Noone has mentioned the overfilled coolant resevoir.
Thanks for the interest Lud & others ;-)

It`s never been an issue really, the garage only got their hands on the car in the first place due to the warranty.

Pity some of these photos can`t be at least `thumb-nailed`permanently into the thread like on FF. There`s a thumbnail of this pic embedded over there in a different topic.

As it is, the whole recent crop will have to go shortly to make way for others.

Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - L'escargot
Bodge job in
that sealant should not be required new gasket should do the trick.

I agree. Gaskets are intended to seal, and be held static, by embedding themselves into the microscopic variations in the surface of the mating parts. Using a sealant fills in the surface variations. This prevents the normal sealing action and can allow the gasket to move. Sealant on gaskets is definitely a bodge.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - ifithelps
Install a spin-on cartridge oil filter 'dry' and it will often leak.

Smear some oil around the seal and it will not.

Daft, really, because you would think the leaking oil would do the same job, but it doesn't.

The leak was an almost microscopic `spray` tiny pinpricks of oil going onto the components in front of the cambox. About a 5 normal size oil `drops` a month and only then (initially) at higher speed.

That`s why it took me so long to get around to doing it.

I used the finest smear of blue non setting compound as the gasket originally failed in a `dry` state and why had not been determined. I should have done the job myself the first time and not put it into the garages hands.
It would have been obvious at that point whether the seal had not been seated since factory assembly and it would have given confidence to build all the joints up dry.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - brum
I think you all missed the obvious.

Someone has fitted a FIAT engine instead of something decent.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - V4 Heaven
+1
you would think the leaking oil would do the same job, but it doesn't

There's a slight risk that if you spin it on dry the seal will catch and twist somewhere, making a permanent small leak.
There's a slight risk that if you spin it on dry the seal will catch
and twist somewhere making a permanent small leak.

>>
I always thougt the wipe of oil on the filter seal was to allow it to slide into its compressed position, more or less as Lud says.
Oilrag, wont a small oil leak add to your rustproofing efforts, and help lubricate the under bonnet mechanical fittings and linkages?
I did have thoughts of piping it through onto the sub-frames Old Navy ;-)

Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - bathtub tom
Seems to work for old Morgans (with a bit of creosote added?).
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - zookeeper
i didnt read any above posts but, the coolent ressy is very over filled
Maybe its hot, and on max when cold.

Edited by Old Navy on 25/08/2009 at 20:48

maybe its not , get some glasses old salt
My cars coolant goes well above Max when hot.
if the OP who set the question is leaving red herrings please be obliged to present them
Sorry zoo, not with you.
Find the evidence for a possibly botched job? pic - smokie
Maybe I'm missing your point too zoo (and others), but this is essentially a light hearted bit of entertainment, please treat as such and not as an excuse for finding fault.

smokie, Moderator

Edited by smokie on 26/08/2009 at 00:15

The court entertainer, AKA jester, should be free from harm as he attempts amusement.. ;-)

I`ve considered the (hot) coolant reservoir and having a go at me for choosing a Fiat (engine) and attempted to address these points in my original image link - In my first post in this thread.

All images in all recent threads will be deleted shortly - to make way for new `entertainment`

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 26/08/2009 at 07:26