Expert Van 99 1.9. So slow. - stuartl
I have had my 1.9 NON Turbo Expert Van for 7 months now and am increasingly frustrated at how little power it has. It always carries I would guess, around 150-200kg of tools for my job but even loaded up more or less it seems to make no difference. It is so slow and going up a hill is embarrassing as even what I would deem the slowest of other vehicles are on my tail and I cant go any faster. I guess the best way I can describe the lack of power is similar to my old Astra when the MAF died on it but is there such a thing on these vans that could cause such dire performance? There are no warning lights on and the van starts and runs fine, it just feels like there is simply not anywhere near enough power to propel it anywhere!

Thanks in anticipation of any help !

Regards

Stuart

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/08/2009 at 00:48

99 1.9 Expert Van SO SLOW!! - Wurzel83
When were the fuel and air filters last changed?

Try some fuel aditive.
99 1.9 Expert Van SO SLOW!! - bathtub tom
Have you checked the throttle cable?

Pull off the engine cover and get someone to fully press the pedal. Check the other end at the injection pump. If you can still move the lever further, then pull off the hair-clip type arrangement at the end of the throttle cable, pull the cable tight and re-fit the hair-clip.

We had a fleet of these things. I adjusted them all.
99 1.9 Expert Van SO SLOW!! - oilrag
Same as our Punto 1.9D then. Slow to accelerate.

Half throttle or full throttle makes no difference to it as it hauls itself up sliproads onto the M1 at around 50mph. You get a reasonable response to the first fraction of an inch of throttle - then nothing. It`s as though the engine is not connected to the pedal.

It gets to 80+ in it`s own time - eventually.

That`s an indirect injection diesel in a car weighing only 1,000kg. In a heavier van with a load on and greater wind resistance it must be desperate.

My bet is that it`s `normal`

Edited by oilrag on 24/08/2009 at 09:24

99 1.9 Expert Van SO SLOW!! - stuartl
I have no idea when the filters were last done and have been asked this again today. Certainly not in the 10000 miles that I have had the van. Will try these and report back. Many thanks for the replies so far,

Stuart