Reply to This Message - which message?? - fredthefifth
Hi All,

I think I am right in saying that replying to a message higher in a thread inserts the message under the one that it is a reply to. Consequently on a long thread that post may not get noticed. The other option is to always reply to the last post in the 'flat' view of the thread.

Can anyone advise what the right thing to do please?

Ta.
FTF
Reply to This Message - which message?? - oilrag
"The other option is to always reply to the last post in the 'flat' view of the thread."

I always do that. Threaded view drives me nuts with all the clicking and scrolling.

Up to you ;-)
Reply to This Message - which message?? - rtj70
If the thread later needs editing (say a post removing) then all replies to that post get removed too. So better to reply to the correct post - it keeps it in context too.

If anyone had not noticed, but if you click on the "New" link on the discussion page, when you open the thread you jump to the first new reply. Obviously if there are a few in different parts of the thread you would have to scroll to the other ones. This is necessary in threads like IHAQ, Computers, etc.

I don't use threaded view and only switch on occasions but still try to reply to the correct post to keep things in the right place.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - pda
>>>click on the "New" link on the discussion page, when you open the thread you jump to the first new reply.<<<<

Now isn't that clever! I never knew that and had almost worn my scroll wheel out:)

Pat
Reply to This Message - which message?? - Cliff Pope
I never knew that either, until someone recently told me off for replying to the "wrong" message.

But where is this "New Link" on the discussion page? I don't seem to have any options for viewing.

I notice that most people do what I have always done - reply to the last message regardless of who actually made the specific point.
It always feels to me that responding to a particular message, rather than the last one, is a bit like starting a private conversation with someone in a pub, rather than addressing the whole group you are in.
Also it seems to me to cause the thread to diverge and break up into lots of sub-threads, while responding to the last message tends to keep the thread vaguely on topic and includes everyone in the conversation.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - rtj70
But where is this "New Link" on the discussion page?

Next to each thread on the discussion page it will say "new" if there is a new posting. Click on the read "new" word and it will do what I said above. It's a hyperlink to the thread that takes you to the "new" post.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - Number_Cruncher
Does anyone actually view threads using threaded view? Is it a needless complication?

Reply to This Message - which message?? - Stuartli
The word New is highlighted in red - at least for me....
Reply to This Message - which message?? - Old Navy
And me, and very useful it is too.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - Cliff Pope
The word New is highlighted in red - at least for me....

>>

It's highlighted, but for me the result is exactly the same as if I open the whole thread. I thought it was a convenient way of seeing which threads had new posts, not of jumping straight to those posts, which it doesn't.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - jbif
It's highlighted, but for me the result is exactly the same as if I open the whole thread. >>

possibly due to settings in your browser and/or security software.

Reply to This Message - which message?? - Old Navy
jumping straight to those posts which it doesn't.

>>
Mine does, dont ask me why.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - Doc
Does anyone actually view threads using threaded view?

I do!
I find it easier to spot the "new" comments.
Also, not everyone is reading the forum at the same pace.
If you come back, after say a week, and wish to respond to an earlier comment, it would not make sense to reply to the last message.

Reply to This Message - which message?? - bathtub tom
I just used threaded view to insert a reply.

It put it at the end!

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 23/08/2009 at 19:01

Reply to This Message - which message?? - Dynamic Dave
I just used threaded view to insert a reply.
It put it at the end!

That's because you replied to Doc, whose post just so happened to be the last one in the thread at the time. Had you replied to Old Navy's 17:29 post, then it would have been above Doc's and not at the end of the thread.

DD.
Reply to This Message - which message?? - bathtub tom
Nah!

Different thread. I thought I'd got it sussed.